TSN: Steve Simmons argues on air over Grabo and Bolland

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
The only reason Bolland didn't work out was because of his injury. He was our best player in October.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
I've gotta agree with Interactif/Stephen here. Grabovski tried real hard and had good 'advanced' stats numbers, but IMO (which we're all entitled too), he's not a player you win with. Tunnel vision, awful at using teammates, skating like a chicken with its' head cut off just doesn't translate to much - aside from Corsi which doesn't account where these attempts are coming from.

He played on the 3rd line? Yeah, that's because he was worse than Bozak/Kadri that year.

Feb 24, 2004
I've gotta agree with Interactif/Stephen here. Grabovski tried real hard and had good 'advanced' stats numbers, but IMO (which we're all entitled too), he's not a player you win with. Tunnel vision, awful at using teammates, skating like a chicken with its' head cut off just doesn't translate to much - aside from Corsi which doesn't account where these attempts are coming from.

He played on the 3rd line? Yeah, that's because he was worse than Bozak/Kadri that year.

It was a shortened season, and he was given ten games before being demoted to a role that was never going to be his strength...

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
It was a shortened season, and he was given ten games before being demoted to a role that was never going to be his strength...

He played 29 games before the NHL got underway, and even after those 10 games, still saw similar icetimes to Kadri until it fully dropped off.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Grabovski will probably thrive on the Islanders.

Kulemin - Grabovski - Strome

That is a solid second line. Two wingers who are defensively-sound and Grabovski isn't too shabby in that regard either. I see a lot of offensive potential in that line and Kulemin should be able to rebound as well.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

He played 29 games before the NHL got underway, and even after those 10 games, still saw similar icetimes to Kadri until it fully dropped off.

He didn't produce the points in that short season at the clip in which he did in previous years that's why you say all that. Kadri is getting ripped for the same thing currently just so you know. First off as a Bozak supporter Bozak shows more tunnel vision than Grabo did his entire Leaf career. Bozak could learn a thing or 2 from Grabo about playing with more gumption that he could make things happen himself instead of having tunnel vision towards getting Kessel the puck the moment he touches it... frankly the whole team this year missed his tenacious compete level. There was no quit in this guy he took a licking and kept coming back for more.

You can debate the quality of player he is but this notion you don't win with players like him is flat out saying you can't win with players that care, compete and don't quit.

Just remember teams win hockey games not individual players. Players are a product of there environment of which team they play on.

If You flip Crosby with Taveres do the Islanders suddenly become cup Contenders and Pittsburgh falls off the cliff? It's never about one guy. The closes position that holds that type of impact to hockey is the goalie position and even then he can't win unless somebody scores.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
The same Grabovski haters praise Phaneuf.

They claim Phaneuf has tough zone starts and QoC.

Grabovski got ****ing burried in the lineup and they expected him to produce.

How can you defend one but not the other?

Oh wait, Phaneuf is here and Grabovski isn't... Keep drinking that fresh kool-aid I guess.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor

Take a look at his zone starts, QoC, and overall usage that year, Carlyle basically made it his job to cushion Bozak and Kadri from getting overexposed.

He did this because Grabovski, not Bozak or Kadri could handle the utter **** assignments.

Bolland was brought in to do the same thing, to cushion a young Kadri and a mediocre Bozak.

He was then and remains now a superior overall centre to Bozak who is an annual Corsi punching bag with a fat PDO.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
The same Grabovski haters praise Phaneuf.

They claim Phaneuf has tough zone starts and QoC.

Grabovski got ****ing burried in the lineup and they expected him to produce.

How can you defend one but not the other?

Oh wait, Phaneuf is here and Grabovski isn't... Keep drinking that fresh kool-aid I guess.

I back Phaneuf and don't hate Grabo.... so do many others so please don't paint everybody under a brush.

You just about answered right there why they bought out Grabo. The rise of Kadri into full time and the trade for Bolland who's more suited to play the role that was placed on Grabo it came down to either Bozak or Grabo. Did they make the right decision? It's debatable but I do put stock in some continuity and since they were able to re-sign Bozak a good player himself for less I'm leading toward the right decision was made. What they did with the money they saved went to Clarkson however and boy does he ever need to have a bounce back year cause that was one heck of a bad year from Clarkson all around.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Grabo lost his job to a better center Kadri.....I thought that Burke was nuts to sign Grabo to that horrible contract and we had to let a 5.5M 3rd line center go......

Maybe I'm a rare breed here, I disliked Liles contract when he signed that deal....I dislike Dion's deal....Komi, Connelly, as well.

Love Gardiner's deal! Not at all happy with the 3 year deal for Robidas, and the 4 year deal and cap hit of Komarov

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Grabo lost his job to a better center Kadri.....I thought that Burke was nuts to sign Grabo to that horrible contract and we had to let a 5.5M 3rd line center go......

Maybe I'm a rare breed here, I disliked Liles contract when he signed that deal....I dislike Dion's deal....Komi, Connelly, as well.

Love Gardiner's deal! Not at all happy with the 3 year deal for Robidas, and the 4 year deal and cap hit of Komarov

Gardiner's deal has been praised by most, not all, but most. I agree, it is a great term with a POTENTIAL great value.

I don't think the Leafs nor Robidas expect him to carry out the length of that contract, unless this team manages to be very competitive in the immediate future. He'll retire in a year or 2 (or maybe somewhere in between if the injury bug catches up to him again)

Komarov's deal is... agreed, too much of both term and length. I love him, but it's too much.

As for Grabovski, he has been missed for his heart alone, not much else.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Gardiner's deal has been praised by most, not all, but most. I agree, it is a great term with a POTENTIAL great value.

I don't think the Leafs nor Robidas expect him to carry out the length of that contract, unless this team manages to be very competitive in the immediate future. He'll retire in a year or 2 (or maybe somewhere in between if the injury bug catches up to him again)

Komarov's deal is... agreed, too much of both term and length. I love him, but it's too much.

As for Grabovski, he has been missed for his heart alone, not much else.

Gardiner and Franson most likely will be our #2 pairing this year. They both have big raises and they have no excuses this year. Both are being paid to play in the middle pairing. They need a good bouce back season. Or they might find themselves like Grabovski did, when Percy or Granberg pushing for jobs, they might be outplayed for a job one day.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/482260199428726784

I'll post this one more time for the jackasses on this board that claim no one wants him.

Receiving "Crazy Interest" and almost had a deal done with McPhee.

Most sites list him as the next best available UFA Center behind Statsny

Watch him get 4.5-5 x 4

If this is true, then it is truly sad how weak the Center's were behind Statsny.

"Crazy interest" in a 16 point and 35 point Center his last 2 years? I agree with the usage of the word "Crazy", alright.

Still The most overrated player on this board.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Grabs was a good possession player because he'd skate around in circles, and then get knocked on his arse :)

And if Leaf management failed to see huge contract demands from Bolland coming down the pipe, I don't even know what to say

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I have no issue with letting Grabo go, not because of the player....but because Burke gave him that stupid contract. As bad as Clarkson's contract is, at least you can move him around the lineup.

I don't hate Dion's deal, i think it's the norm in the new CBA, and ya, i LOVE Gardiner's deal.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Grabs was a good possession player because he'd skate around in circles, and then get knocked on his arse :)

And if Leaf management failed to see huge contract demands from Bolland coming down the pipe, I don't even know what to say

I'm not sure if you're being comical, but most popular possession stats don't put any stock in how long a player spends skating with puck. They're typically calculated using shooting attempts for and against. So, you're quip about Grabo is just plain wrong.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Gardiner and Franson most likely will be our #2 pairing this year. They both have big raises and they have no excuses this year. Both are being paid to play in the middle pairing. They need a good bouce back season. Or they might find themselves like Grabovski did, when Percy or Granberg pushing for jobs, they might be outplayed for a job one day.

I'll be a bit surprised if Gardiner doesn't get first line minutes with Phaneuf.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

.....Gardiner did not have a bad season last year.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'll be a bit surprised if Gardiner doesn't get first line minutes with Phaneuf.

I don't think they'll pair them together, though I could be wrong.

I think the plan will be to create two evenly weighed pairings.

Phaneuf-Polak and Gardiner-Robidas.

They will split the majority of even strength assignments, leaving sheltered minutes for Rielly and his partner.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The only reason Bolland didn't work out was because of his injury. He was our best player in October.

a season is more then one month. i do agree he had a great october though. the problem is we dont know if he would have been able to sustain that level of play.

im not upset that bolland got injured. its part of the game. its just a bummer that we never got to see him play for us. either way there was no way shannahan was going to allow nonis to give him $5 million per

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
.....Gardiner did not have a bad season last year.

Not at all. The season before he was really weak defensively, but he definitely improved that aspect last season. If he can cut out the turnovers then thats even better

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He was good and bad.

He was inconsistent for a portion of the season and from around Christmas to the end of the season he got better. Ergo - he did not have a bad season, he got better. He improved in a lot of areas.

Not at all. The season before he was really weak defensively, but he definitely improved that aspect last season. If he can cut out the turnovers then thats even better

exactly like i said the next step Jake needs to take is be consistent and play like he does in the end of the season in the first 40 or so games. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad