TSN: Steve Simmons argues on air over Grabo and Bolland

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Grabs was a good possession player because he'd skate around in circles, and then get knocked on his arse :)

And if Leaf management failed to see huge contract demands from Bolland coming down the pipe, I don't even know what to say

You should probably try and look up how possession stats are calculated..

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He was inconsistent for a portion of the season and from around Christmas to the end of the season he got better. Ergo - he did not have a bad season, he got better. He improved in a lot of areas.

exactly like i said the next step Jake needs to take is be consistent and play like he does in the end of the season in the first 40 or so games. :nod:

He had 68 giveways last year, tied with Franson, plus he almost never wins a puck battle in the corners.

Jake is a talented skater, he has some offensive ability if maxed out may exceed 40 points this season. But the negative things that I have mentioned that crept into his game seem unfixable.

I maintain, he will always be a good Jake, bad Jake type of player given his limitations. Would you not agree that this assessment is fair?

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Grabovsky was replaced on the 2nd line by Kadri, who is younger, cheaper, scored more points, and has equal or greater possession numbers. Not much of a decision really.

We signed Santorelli, Booth, Winnik, and Kontiola combined, for less of a cap hit than Bolland.

As for people criticizing Nonis for trading for Bolland in the first place, could they explain the type of ESP they have that would allow them to see into the future where that skate blade cut Bollands ankle tendon. It was a good deal that was nullified by some incredibly bad luck.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Grabovsky was replaced on the 2nd line by Kadri, who is younger, cheaper, scored more points, and has equal or greater possession numbers. Not much of a decision really.

We signed Santorelli, Booth, Winnik, and Kontiola combined, for less of a cap hit than Bolland.

As for people criticizing Nonis for trading for Bolland in the first place, could they explain the type of ESP they have that would allow them to see into the future where that skate blade cut Bollands ankle tendon. It was a good deal that was nullified by some incredibly bad luck.

I would've been ok with Bolland for 3.5M-4M per on a 3 year deal, but he's a 3rd liner on any team, and just can't seem to stay healthy (and now a likely below average skater for the rest of his career).

The fact that we rebuilt our bottom 6 for the cost of one overrated player is very unLeaf like, to be honest; just thrilled with this off-season, mostly for the fact that there will be no hangovers this year if none of these cheap 1-year deals pan out.

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
He had 68 giveways last year, tied with Franson, plus he almost never wins a puck battle in the corners.

Jake is a talented skater, he has some offensive ability if maxed out may exceed 40 points this season. But the negative things that I have mentioned that crept into his game seem unfixable.

I maintain, he will always be a good Jake, bad Jake type of player given his limitations. Would you not agree that this assessment is fair?

This is simply not true. He's not a hulking physical beast, but he has an excellent stick and is very good at sheltering the puck/rolling off checks when he reaches it first.

Players that carry the puck a lot inevitably get their give away numbers inflated. Saying he had the same number of give aways as Franson when you know very well he carries the puck far more isn't really saying a whole lot.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
This is simply not true. He's not a hulking physical beast, but he has an excellent stick and is very good at sheltering the puck/rolling off checks when he reaches it first.

Players that carry the puck a lot inevitably get their give away numbers inflated. Saying he had the same number of give aways as Franson when you know very well he carries the puck far more isn't really saying a whole lot.

I've always wondered why there aren't pass attempt and pass completion stats in hockey. That would be the first place I would look to generate possession.

If you have a team of guys who pass accurately, you're going to have the puck a lot.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Bolland's injury was a blessing
If he stayed healthy and got 50 plus points Nonis might have opened the vault for him at Xmas time

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There's nothing more I want to talk about than Steve Simmons having a *****fest with a fan on radio over two players who've played 20 games combined for the Leafs in the last year.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010

Also, players that are known to be "great defensively" typically got that way by playing too much defense (i.e. by having poor possession numbers).

Gardiner will never will any accolades for being a mean/nasty stay-at-home physical presence, but he will get props for being the guy that spends most of his time on the right side of his blueline.

Harry Kneel

Signature
Apr 24, 2013
Toronto
If I understand Simmons argument correctly he KNEW that Graboi is a bad player. So he has branched out from journalism to NHL scout now.

And if all else finals just yell every time an opposing argument is expressed. Sure. Works for me every time

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
If I understand Simmons argument correctly he KNEW that Graboi is a bad player. So he has branched out from journalism to NHL scout now.

Simmons and his clan have been using the "people who work for NHL teams agree with my assessment" argument as a trump card for so long that I am genuinely curious to see how they respond to the bloggers' march to front office positions with NHL teams. by the logic Simmons has used in most every argument on "analytics" over the past two years he should agree with or defer to Dellow's opinions on hockey related matters from this point on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad