TSN: Steve Simmons argues on air over Grabo and Bolland

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree partially with Simmonds. Bolland turned out to be a failed acquisition but Grabo just isn't very good and not worth so much debate and loss of sleep. Drives possession yada yada yada, what did Washington do with his bevvy of abilities? The guys a lone ranger who can produce on weak teams.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Who would've guessed that Bolland was going to ask for 5 million a year?

No body specially considering he's never even seen the 80 game mark once.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Grabovski is a 2nd liner on non playoff teams.

Simmons was right, Grabovski is not the difference, Grabovski isn't a difference maker.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
The blogger is correct in his assessments of Bolland and Grabovski, Simmons is just really stupid.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I thought both had some poor arguments. The advance stats guy never mentioned "how well Washington did" with Grabo. Also seemed arrogant when suggested he was smarter than the coaches and GMs. Simmons also struggled, but overall Grabo isn't a great player, and he's right, teams don't want him. Grabo was so awful in that Boston series too. In Game 7, couldn't score, couldn't win draws, was weak in going for the empty netter in the last few minutes.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Simmons is a fool - and he lost the argument as soon as he started yelling to prove his point.

Grabo is a very serviceable centre, he was when he played with us (save for his last season) and he rebounded well with Washington. It was a disgrace we used a buyout on him.

And Simmon's whole argument about Bolland being better because he was on a cup winning team - well, Chicago cast him away as soon as they could so they could keep their better players!

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Simmons is a fool - and he lost the argument as soon as he started yelling to prove his point.

Grabo is a very serviceable centre, he was when he played with us (save for his last season) and he rebounded well with Washington. It was a disgrace we used a buyout on him.

And Simmon's whole argument about Bolland being better because he was on a cup winning team - well, Chicago cast him away as soon as they could so they could keep their better players!

Bang on.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I.....******* hate Simmonds and never click on a link to anything about him.

He's trash and as low as can be. When he pops up on TSN I change the channel.

This guy wrote an article questioning Burke being able to run an NHL team after his sons tragic death.

Sommonds is a virus in this town. Can't believe he can still find employment and yes I refuse to spell his name correctly.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The blogger flat out said if we had Grabo we would be in the playoffs, which is flat out wrong. He was also really arrogant.

He was more obnoxious than Simmons, which is hard to do.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for posting that... it was a fun listen.

I suppose my position is somewhere in the middle, as I don't want to sign Bolland, but I was also happy to get rid of Grabo.

It's kind of an unfair comparison because Bolland looked like he was going to fit well into this team and he looked very good when he was playing for us. However I'm skeptical that he will ever return to where he was. Even if he heals 100%, I still think that missing out on all that time puts you a step back, espeically as you get older. And it was just unlucky that he got injured.

So in other words, comparing how Bolland played pre-injury to how Grabo plays now is not really a useful comparison because there's a good chance that Bolland will never be as good as he was (and it's not like he was ever a superstar either). So the player who scored the goal to win the cup might be gone and all that's left is a guy who never fully recovered from an injury and just fades out over the next few years. Of course, there's also a good chance he makes a full recovery and plays just like he did at the start of last sesaon.

The point is, it's a gamble... and that has to be considered when signing a big contract like that... and if you look at the risk/reward, it's not the right move for the leafs to sign him to that huge contract.

Simmons acted as if there was no other possible solution. I'm fine with Bozak, Kadri and Holland as our top 3 centers. If we can get another center that's even better and we can move Kadri or Holland somewhere else in the lineup (either one of them on the wing or use Holland as our 4th line center).

So there are a lot of other options for the Leafs at center other than Bolland, and the other options look a lot better.

Obviously most of Simmons's arguments didn't make a lot of sense. The blogger at least made sense. Simmon's seemed to suggest that he knew it was a bad contract but that the Leafs should do it anyways for some reason.

But I don't really agree with the love-fest for Grabo. In hindsight, he probably would have been useful this year, but that's only because we lost Bolland. I would have rathered a healthy Bolland this year vs. a healthy Grabo this year. So in one way, you could agrue that if we still had Grabo, it might have made the difference, but if we had a healthy Bolland, that would have made the difference too. And if we can only have 1 of them (since we were right up against the cap), I would have taken Bolland given that they have an equal chance of getting a fluke injury. If anything Grabo probably has a better chance of getting injured because he just skates around with the puck until someone knocks him over. And he's a champ for getting up every time, but one day, someone might really get him good.

Simmons seemed to take offense because he couldn't really accept the implications if the blogger was right (which in general, he is). It implies that some of these teams are being managed very poorly which I think is true. The blogger makes a good point that there are GMs who make big errors by signing this huge contracts when there are cheaper options available.

Why would we want to sign a huge long term contract for big money when there are guys who will take a short term contract at a cheap price who might be just as good, if not better?

I feel like if you sign one of these big contracts... you better know what you're getting... and we have no idea what we're getting with Bolland.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
I hope Grabo signs with a good team like Chicago (who desperately need a 2C) and shuts dumb leafs fans up forever about him

Grabo>Bolland and it isn't that close...

Also Simmons is an idiot, Frantisek Kaberle scored a cup winner, so lets put him in the hall of fame

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
I thought both had some poor arguments. The advance stats guy never mentioned "how well Washington did" with Grabo. Also seemed arrogant when suggested he was smarter than the coaches and GMs. Simmons also struggled, but overall Grabo isn't a great player, and he's right, teams don't want him. Grabo was so awful in that Boston series too. In Game 7, couldn't score, couldn't win draws, was weak in going for the empty netter in the last few minutes.

Teams don't want him? Hmm...

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/482260199428726784

@mc79hockey Apparently he's received crazy interest. Believe they had a deal fairly far down the road with the Caps until McPhee got fired.

Chris Johnson from Sportsnet says he has recieved "crazy interest", but Steve Simmons says no one wants him so he's probably right...

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Grabo was our best possession player. I wonder what our shots for and shots against were with him on tje the ice.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Grabovski was a decent enough player with a horrible attitude. Not that kind of player you want around your team imo.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I agree with Simmons point in general, but he was clearly butt-hurt and emotional about something. He wasn't even making sense at times.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

You don't think they would have liked to have kept Ladd or Byfuglien?

Feenom

Jan 15, 2003
Spliffton
Visit site

I agree, not saying that Garbo would have put us into the playoffs but on this team he may have helped in the talent department, but oil and water with Carlyle so moot point. But when Simmons is involved in a hockey convo, go for a washroom break, makes you feel better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I hope Grabo signs with a good team like Chicago (who desperately need a 2C) and shuts dumb leafs fans up forever about him

Grabo>Bolland and it isn't that close...

Also Simmons is an idiot, Frantisek Kaberle scored a cup winner, so lets put him in the hall of fame

Alec Martinez for Phaneuf?

Scoring a Cup winning goal is more about right place right time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad