Steve Moore ups his damages claim by $30 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
It's impossible to prove but what part of these tests couldn't be manipulated by someone looking for a $68M payout

The recently filed court documents highlight the mental troubles Moore’s lawyers say he has struggled with since his career-ending injury and reveal details about his efforts to take an admissions test in 2010 for graduate school.

Moore’s family members said he “can no longer study effectively on his own. . . . He loses focus and is inaccurate and forgetful,†the documents say. “His communication skills, the ability to quickly and clearly follow more complex conversations, for example, are compromised. He has difficulties establishing priorities and making decisions. . . . His judgment is questionable.â€

Moore, who has an IQ of about 140, twice wrote the GMAT exam, taken by those hoping to attend graduate school, the documents say. During his first attempt, on March 3, 2010, he scored in the 68th percentile, which means he scored higher than 68 per cent of those who took the test during the previous three years.

On his second attempt, on April 5, 2010, Moore scored in the 88th percentile.

Moore was allowed 50 per cent more time, an extra break, earplugs and an adjustable chair when he took the tests.

The documents cite Kevin Murphy, a psychologist who examined Moore.

Murphy concludes Moore had “highly superior cognitive abilities†before his injury, but since Bertuzzi’s attack “does not exhibit the ability to plan, make decisions, set priorities, and to multi-task and is not capable of performing adequately in a wide range of managerial, executive, and professional work.

“Moore’s current job prospects are restricted to work that is more routine, less autonomous, less opportune for advancement, and significantly less remunerative than his former prospects.â€

And unfortunately looking at those symptoms I think I'm brain damaged too.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Poor Bert.

Given how many times Moore has unsuccessfully (much like Moore's short-lived NHL "career") tried to sue Bertuzzi, do you think it's possible for Bertuzzi to counter-sue Moore for harassment?

Bertuzzi himself has never been the same since the partially deserved Moore incident (I don't care what anyone says, but you simply cannot aggressively try and injure a top superstar in a pathetic effort to make a name for yourself as Moore tried to do with Naslund), and much of it has to do with the emotional strain of Moore's constant lawsuits towards Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi himself has lost a lot of money due to this toilet nugget Moore.

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
It's impossible to prove but what part of these tests couldn't be manipulated by someone looking for a $68M payout

And unfortunately looking at those symptoms I think I'm brain damaged too.

I find it interesting that the financial industry aspect of his absent-accident earnings potential assume graduation from Stanford or Harvard MBA programs, which are the ones he was rejected from. Assuming that he did, in fact, score in the 88th percentile on the GMAT, combined with his unique circumstances I would be very surprised if would have been declined from a second-tier elite MBA program. Just because you don't get into the best two schools in the world doesn't mean that his residual earnings capacity in the financial industry is altogether eliminated.

This would be a really interesting case to work on as a forensic economist, IMO.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
The point is that you can excuse some things on the grounds of "hockey culture" but you cannot excuse everything.

Everyone can decide for themselves where that line is, but given Bertuzzi was given an unprecedented suspension and criminal charges that's two fairly major indicators of what most think about his actions.

The bottom line is that he crossed the line in a big way and his actions resulted in a major, career ending (although that is a nebulous term for a number of reasons) injury to another player.

I don't necessarily agree with everything Steve Moore has said and done and as a player I had little respect for what he did but Bertuzzi should be held to account for his actions (and he had no one to blame but himself for the extent to which he became 'a pariah').

Sure. But 68 million is waaaaaaaaay overboard.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Sure. But 68 million is waaaaaaaaay overboard.

Yeah. You know how this works right? Moore's claim could result in him being awarded a penny, or a hundred million dollars.

I'm going to end up overusing this emoticon if I keep posting in this thread but: :speechles

Last edited by a moderator:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I can't think of any other player in the last 15 years who retired after one concussion in their mid-20s without attempting a comeback. That the one instance of a non-comeback would jive so nicely with the one instance of a player potentially making a snotload of money out of having a concussion is very convenient, to say the least.

I'm not condoning what Bertuzzi did. But seeing this scrub ask for $68 million is pretty bloody hilarious. Especially when it's upping his demands from an already ridiculous $38 million.

I actually do more or less agree with this.

However - as much as we all love to romanticise the whole "doctors said he'd never play again, but".. to some extent this is a case where a doctor advised Moore not to put himself at risk again and he listened.

damack

Jan 3, 2014

However - as much as we all love to romanticise the whole "doctors said he'd never play again, but".. to some extent this is a case where a doctor advised Moore not to put himself at risk again and he listened.

a doctor the Moore paid for that said don't do anything

Completely unrelated, I knew a guy that had a back injury due to a car accident. He was unable to play sports, had constant back spasms and pain for 5 years as the settlement was being negotiated. Miraculously within 2 months of settlement he was back playing soccer, golf, cycling, nary a back pain....just sayin.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Is this ever going to get settled?

If your kid was born the night the incident happened, he/she would be going into 5th grade this September (or 2nd year of Atom hockey for the hockey minded).

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
People need to understand that the amount that he's asking for isn't just the loss incurred from playing hockey but also accounts for the loss of quality of life he's experienced with respect to both medical and emotional trauma resulting from that attack. The issue on the settlement is and should be very complicated because it's difficult to put a price tag on the life or the quality of life of a human being.

That being said, 68 million dollars is a complete crock of ****. Moore's not doing himself any favours with respect to public opinion with this move.

Also, using standardized testing to measure intelligence or "IQ" (again, another buzzword that's full of ****) is also another crock of ****. You're not fooling anyone who knows anything about education and standardized testing.

John Bender*

I suspect it was a lawyer advising him not to put his wallet at risk by attempting a comeback.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Him trying to sue Bert for 68 million is like any war vet trying to sue their respective government for 68 million to compensate for PTSD.

Moore can go croak in a ditch if he thinks that's realistic.

Wouldn't it be like a soldier suing the government of a country he was sent to war against? And even still that country would have to have like, violated the Geneva convention or something?

A soldier suing his own government would be comparable to Moore suing the Avalanche.

Terrible analogy....

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Well it doesn't make sense at all for Moore to attempt a comeback. At all.

People cite Burke's offer as one he should have definitely taken but he had everything to lose and nothing to gain from taking his offer simply by the virtue of the fact that 1) he's not a very good NHL player and 2) he's most likely still at a disadvantage from his concussion and injury. Failing at his tryout would give even greater credence to the fact he's probably not a very good hockey player and thus, probably wouldn't merit as large of a settlement.

John Bender*

Well it doesn't make sense at all for Moore to attempt a comeback. At all.

People cite Burke's offer as one he should have definitely taken but he had everything to lose and nothing to gain from taking his offer simply by the virtue of the fact that 1) he's not a very good NHL player and 2) he's most likely still at a disadvantage from his concussion and injury. Failing at his tryout would give even greater credence to the fact he's probably not a very good hockey player and thus, probably wouldn't merit as large of a settlement.

Precisely.

I don't really blame him for not attempting a comeback. I was just saying that it is in his best interest to complain and exaggerate PCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad