Waived: Steve Downie (Cleared and assigned to the AHL)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If one of your veteran players is making $3 million and is playing on th 4th. line, it just means he's not living up to expectations. I don't see how it has any bearing on contract values for unrelated young players coming off their ELC's. The AAV of said contracts will exclusively be based on the young players' performance, not the salary of underperforming veterans.

For example, Martinook's agent probably wouldn't go into contract negotiations saying "Vermette plays on the fourth line and makes $3.75 million but Jordan plays on the THIRD line, so he should be making $5 million".

If Vermette is playing on the fourth line, it just means he's not living up the expectation that he would come back and continue to play as a solid, all situations, top-9 center in our line-up, as he did in year's past. That's it.

Scott Gomez used to make $7.5 million playing on Montreal's fourth line. It didn't mean that Montreal had to start paying their quality young players coming off rookie deals $9 million a season.

Your missing the point, again. If a non fourth liner is not playing to expectations a demotion to the fourth line temporally is justified. We are talking about paying 3 mil. for fourth line players. Do you not think if DM pays a fourth liner that kind of money the agents for the other players that are playing in the top two lines would ask much much more. You bring up Gomez, but don't forget, he had a history of being a very good player, but the GM screwed the pooch and paid him a insane amount for a washed up player. I guarantee you, if we re-sign Gordon it will not be near that amount or for any other fourth line player as far as that goes. You compare Vermette and Martinook who play different types of games, but let's compare Gordon and Martinook. You pay Gordon 3 mil, what are you going to pay Martinook or even Reider? Both are better players, younger etc., so they will be asking for 5mil, then what are you going to pay OEL, Domi etc. The list goes on and on. I would rather over pay for a OEL, Domi, Strome, Duclair etc. than I would a fourth liner.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am pretty sure Gordon is making 3 mill+ as our 4th line center. The trade made sense because we got rid of Korpi making 2.5 mill. So, for 500k more, I think it is worth it to have Gordon. Now Gordon is over paid, and we can likely sign him for 2 mill or less this summer and I think we should.

Salary comparisons are always with other like players on an ELC. You can't compare salaries between a ELC contract and an RFA contract or a UFA contract.

Exactly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Gordon has 2 points this year, and we have oodles of good center prospects coming up the pipeline. Additionally, it's almost certain that one of Strome and Dvorak, or possibly even both will make the team next year. We should cut bait with Gordon.

It's not always about points, but I agree that it may be time to move on from Gordon, unless Richardson or Hanzal is traded.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd re-sign Gordon at about $1.5 M less per season. Oilers overpaid desperately to get him. We not took him back because kids weren't ready and the Oilers were foolish enough to actually want Korpikovski. A player who signed a 4 year deal at $2.5 M per which was okay for first year but we grossly overpaid on term for a player in free fall on our roster.

Who is ready to replace his role? If Gaudet hadn't been injured I would say let Gordon walk or deal him if you can at deadline. dauphin suited for 4th line? MacInnis needs a year or two in the A and he needs to improve faceoff skills before he's ready.

Last edited:

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I'd re-sign Gordon at about $1.5 M less per season. Oilers overpaid desperately to get him. We not took him back because kids weren't ready and the Oilers were foolish enough to actually want Korpikovski. A player who signed a 4 year deal at $2.5 M per which was okay for first year but we grossly overpaid on term for a player in free fall on our roster.

Who is ready to replace his role? If Gaudet hadn't been injured I would say let Gordon walk or deal him if you can at deadline. dauphin suited for 4th line? MacInnis needs a year or two in the A and he needs to improve faceoff skills before he's ready.

That's interesting. Is Gaudet really that ready? That would be great news.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

With Strome coming next year,I think Richardson and Vermette each drop down a line. Strome and Dvorak are both good in the dot, but I do like Gordon's game.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Richardson. That's the 4th line C.

Hanzal-Strome-Vermette-Richardson

I still think we keep Gordon, Richardson can play wing. Extra centers are always good to have for faceoffs, PK, and injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad