Waived: Steve Downie (Cleared and assigned to the AHL)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's easy to sit back now and see what worked and what didn't. I think most of us were happy with the moves at the time, especially Downie and Vermette, and those two probably have disappointed the most.

I was cautiously optimistic about Downie, but I was afraid he'd just end up like Carcillo - a penalty magnet. And when he showed utterly no interest in stepping up for the kids I figured he wasn't long for the team.

Vermette, I didn't want him back. I feel like the whole "get the band back together" movement does a disservice to a franchise that has needed new blood for the longest time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was cautiously optimistic about Downie, but I was afraid he'd just end up like Carcillo - a penalty magnet. And when he showed utterly no interest in stepping up for the kids I figured he wasn't long for the team.

Vermette, I didn't want him back. I feel like the whole "get the band back together" movement does a disservice to a franchise that has needed new blood for the longest time.

I really liked the Downie signing and was ok with the Vermette signing only because of the $$. Wrong on both, although because of injuries at center Vermette has come in handy.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I really liked the Downie signing and was ok with the Vermette signing only because of the $$. Wrong on both, although because of injuries at center Vermette has come in handy.

Vermette had a really slow start but has been much better the last 20 games or so. Z has slowed more than Vermette. We needed both to make the transition this year and next as more young guys are in the line up. Z was bad at first too, but has been better lately.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I hated our FA signings. I still would have rather they done nothing than all the signings. Only one I didn't hate was Vermette because it seemed like good value considering our lack of center depth. We definitely didn't need Downey. One Tipchura is more than enough.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In fairness Martinook has fit in perfectly. Nobody saw that coming. Even me who liked his compete level in the A. He's been a revelation.

I wonder if we are sitting with our finger on the waiver wire for a F or possibly a G.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Our lines are all playing one out of their ability. That's the problem.

Vermette will be fine when he has Richardson's job and Richardson will be fine when he has Gordon's job.

Insert Strome, hang onto Hanzal, and things get better quickly.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-Boedker
Dvorak-Vermette-Doan
Nook-Richardon-Tikhonov

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like using this year's third line (Nook-Richardson-Doan) as the fourth line next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In fairness Martinook has fit in perfectly. Nobody saw that coming. Even me who liked his compete level in the A. He's been a revelation.

I wonder if we are sitting with our finger on the waiver wire for a F or possibly a G.

....and a D. Can't wait for TTD.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Domi-Strome-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Boedker
Rieder-Hanzal-Tiki/Hank
Martinook-Vermette-Doan

I like your optimism but Strome/Dvorak are not going to take over as the 1c/2c next year. Domi/Duclair have been top 6 forwards so far but they are wingers. 1c/2c is a way harder transition. Perlini being in the top 6 is also unlikely. We caught lightening in a bottle with rookies this year, not likely to happen with 3 more next year in the top 6.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I like your optimism but Strome/Dvorak are not going to take over as the 1c/2c next year. Domi/Duclair have been top 6 forwards so far but they are wingers. 1c/2c is a way harder transition. Perlini being in the top 6 is also unlikely. We caught lightening in a bottle with rookies this year, not likely to happen with 3 more next year in the top 6.

Hanzal's line will see see the bulk of the minutes. I just like ordering them scoring line, scoring line, defense, energy. I don't think it's a stretch to see Strome and Dvorak centering two lines next year (but please please please make Matthews be one of them instead). They're already good enough that they'd have both seen big minutes this season if not for the funky prospect/league rules. I think my proposed lines maximize talent up and down the roster. We need more talent to be a consistent contender in the playoffs. These might not be the best players to win game one of 82 but with a full season under their belts, they give us the talent to succeed in the playoffs. IMO of course.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Yeah, I agree. I don't see Perlini making the team next year but we might have a surprise somewhere else.

rt

May 13, 2004
Perlini has regressed in juniors. I'm pulling this out of my ass, but I suspect that 29/30 1st round picks that regress in Jrs in their draft +2 just straight bust and become nothing at all.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Perlini has regressed in juniors. I'm pulling this out of my ass, but I suspect that 29/30 1st round picks that regress in Jrs in their draft +2 just straight bust and become nothing at all.

Wheeler was awful for 4 years after he was drafted.

rt

May 13, 2004

You and I have totally different recollections of Blake Wheeler's college days. I saw a 6'5 Ladislav Nagy, a hard driving winger with tons of creativity and easy 60+ point NHL upside. The only thing that surprised me was how well he rounded out defensively.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Domi-Strome-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Boedker
Rieder-Hanzal-Tiki/Hank
Martinook-Vermette-Doan

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Reider-Strome-Boekder
Doan-Vermette-Dvorak
Martinook - Gordon- Tiki

Hank as a mid season call up. Perilini gets a year in the A to re-discover himself.

Please don't write off Gordon, people. He is by far the best 4th line center that we have. He is defensively sound, great in the dot and great on the wall. He pushes the game forward as a 4th line center should do.

Also, I like breaking in young, not McJesus centers as forwards for the first year to get their feet wet in the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You and I have totally different recollections of Blake Wheeler's college days. I saw a 6'5 Ladislav Nagy, a hard driving winger with tons of creativity and easy 60+ point NHL upside. The only thing that surprised me was how well he rounded out defensively.

No one knew who the hell he was when he was drafted and many were laughing at the selection. Wish we still had him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hanzal's line will see see the bulk of the minutes. I just like ordering them scoring line, scoring line, defense, energy. I don't think it's a stretch to see Strome and Dvorak centering two lines next year (but please please please make Matthews be one of them instead). They're already good enough that they'd have both seen big minutes this season if not for the funky prospect/league rules. I think my proposed lines maximize talent up and down the roster. We need more talent to be a consistent contender in the playoffs. These might not be the best players to win game one of 82 but with a full season under their belts, they give us the talent to succeed in the playoffs. IMO of course.

Even with more limited minutes, we are asking too much of Strome/Dvorak to both be at center, too much responsibility at the NHL level. I would sign Gordon and let Dvorak play some wing in his first year, if he even makes the team.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Reider-Strome-Boekder
Doan-Vermette-Dvorak
Martinook - Gordon- Tiki

Please don't write off Gordon, people. He is by far the best 4th line center that we have. He is defensively sound, great in the dot and great on the wall. He pushes the game forward as a 4th line center should do.

Well, as a UFA, I'm guessing Gordon'll go elsewhere after this season.

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
?? - Strome - Reider (I'm also guessing Boedker will sign to another team)
Dvorak - Vermette - Doan
Martinook - ?? / Vitale (if he returns) - Richardson

The question marks are UFA signings or trade acquisitions

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He pushes the game forward as a 4th line center should do.

No he doesn't. He does the opposite. It's why he gets traded around rather than teams hanging on to him. Richardson and Vermette are better options as the 4C.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Reider-Strome-Boekder
Doan-Vermette-Dvorak
Martinook - Gordon- Tiki

Hank as a mid season call up. Perilini gets a year in the A to re-discover himself.

Also, I like breaking in young, not McJesus centers as forwards for the first year to get their feet wet in the NHL.

I like this line up, but I would replace Tiki with Richardson. It will also depend on what kind of money Gordon wants.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No he doesn't. He does the opposite. It's why he gets traded around rather than teams hanging on to him. Richardson and Vermette are better options as the 4C.

They are, but we can't have a 4C making 3mill/yr.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They are, but we can't have a 4C making 3mill/yr.

I would want to keep Richardson/Gordon even if Dvorak and Strome make the team next year. We could play Richardson and Dvorak on the wing, with Strome/Hanzal/Vermette/Gordon as C's. We are 1st or second in the NHL on the dot this year, and being deep at C will help us on draws when somebody gets booted out of the circle and when somebody(Hanzal) is injured.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I would want to keep Richardson/Gordon even if Dvorak and Strome make the team next year. We could play Richardson and Dvorak on the wing, with Strome/Hanzal/Vermette/Gordon as C's. We are 1st or second in the NHL on the dot this year, and being deep at C will help us on draws when somebody gets booted out of the circle and when somebody(Hanzal) is injured.

As much as I like winning faceoffs, it's meaningless if you can't score and Gordon doesn't help us there (even though he's on the 4th). If we don't re-sign Gordon, we could look for a scoring winger (or set-up center). Of course, I'd like to get rid of Vermette as well (unless he can get his mojo back), but that would probably only be in the form of a buyout which we have to watch if we plan on buying out Smith next season or the season after that.

As much as I liked Downie's grit, we need more skilled forwards at this point even if our FO percentage drops. Going with Hanzal/Strome/Vermette/Vitale (if he returns) at center would be okay as we continue to rebuild. That would leave Rieder/Duclair/Doan (if he doesn't retire and we re-sign him)/Richardson at RW (Downie's position), which is a pretty good crew (again for the rebuild). Our weakness then ends up being LW, which would be Domi/Dvorak/Martinook at the moment. I'm thinking Tikhonov won't be re-signed in the NHL (although he hasn't done too bad for us), but if we did re-sign him, we could move Doan to the LW leaving us with Domi/Dvorak/Doan/Martinook which would probably be our weakest position, so I'd prefer to sign or trade for a #1/#2 LW to improve that area

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad