Steve Dangle on Bob Cole

Pricef*

There's a lot to be said for a great voice and Cole has one. These days we get more and more nerd voices like Jim Hughson, etc.

That's because more nerds than ever are involved in the broadcast of games. People who have never played the game at a decent level rendering their opinions.:cry:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's behind the play
He gets players numbers wrong
He gets confused sometimes

And none of it matters. I love Bob Cole and I'm going to miss him when he's gone. His voice is the best in the game even now and I have many fond memories of him calling games for us.

I was too young to really appreciate Danny Galivan. I have some memories of the games he called and he was great but he was mostly before my time. So for me, Bob Cole is the best in the business - even if he does mess up on plays these days.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He's behind the play
He gets players numbers wrong
He gets confused sometimes

And none of it matters. I love Bob Cole and I'm going to miss him when he's gone. His voice is the best in the game even now and I have many fond memories of him calling games for us.

I was too young to really appreciate Danny Galivan. I have some memories of the games he called and he was great but he was mostly before my time. So for me, Bob Cole is the best in the business - even if he does mess up on plays these days.

I guess most here are way too young to have listened to Foster Hewitt call Toronto games.

In his best years, he made more gaffs in a single play than Cole makes in a game.

He famously mispronounced the names of most French players. Eye-van Corn-oh-yerr was one of his best, or worst, depending on your sense of humour.

I love Cole's call and his errors really don't bother me a bit. The Flames PxP guy, Peter Mahr, retired after last season. He was one of the best in business, very much like Cole with his great voice and emotionally laden calls.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Cole killed it last night, I noticed a couple errors and IDGAF cause he was great. And on point most of the night. I agree the real issue is the color guys, I tend not to like them, they can be so grating. I like Mike Johnson and uhhh.... maybe that's it. Ferraro can be okay. That's another thing I like about Cole too he doesn't really play the banter game with color guys when they go off or get silly, he just cuts right back to calling the game like a boss. He's got a job to do. I haven't seen this yet, going to check it out now but I bet it'll be good and its appropriate here;

http://www.hometownhockey.com/news/bob-cole/

Cdizzle

Mar 11, 2008
Toronto
It's going to be a sad day when Bob retires.

I dont need a play by play guy to perfectly tell me exactly whats happening on the ice, I have my eyeballs to do that for me. If you're in a place in your life where you have actual hate for a sports broadcaster all I can say is, start picking your battles lol

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Cole killed it last night, I noticed a couple errors and IDGAF cause he was great. And on point most of the night. I agree the real issue is the color guys, I tend not to like them, they can be so grating. I like Mike Johnson and uhhh.... maybe that's it. Ferraro can be okay. That's another thing I like about Cole too he doesn't really play the banter game with color guys when they go off or get silly, he just cuts right back to calling the game like a boss. He's got a job to do. I haven't seen this yet, going to check it out now but I bet it'll be good and its appropriate here;

http://www.hometownhockey.com/news/bob-cole/

Yeah I noticed that last game and in the Coyotes game. Bob is more focused on the game at hand than making little small talk. He might make some mistakes but he does a great job capturing and enhancing the atmosphere of the game. Bob Cole come playoff time is great. I hope Rogers gives him the Finals to call whenever his last season is.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
I think this is brilliant. I like the part where he points out how everyone loves to point out Bob's mistakes. Internet culture mocking internet culture.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dangle-bob-cole-baby/

Yep, I especially agree with the part during which he describes Bob Cole as a monument. That would be perfect. Find a place to put Bob Cole in a field or in a town square or on the top steps outside an arena . . . and leave him there, just don't ever let him in the building to call a hockey game ever again.

My god, the next time he manages a name other than Smith or Jones will still be the first time and his encyclopedic knowledge of ways to completely misunderstand offside will not be missed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad