Steve Dangle on Bob Cole

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
listen to him.

he is always a few seconds behind the play. mispronounces all the names. calls players by the wrong name. seems confused by what's happening half the time.

I do listen to him, and I explained that calling the players by wrong name does not make him the worst broadcaster in the last 15 years. I would take Cole, and whatever his shortcomings, over that golf announcer that turns games into snoozefests on Sportsnet.

I grew up with Cole so I guess I'm biased, but I do think he gets criticized unfairly by focusing on details that are unnecessary to following a televised broadcast. It's actually kind of funny because my daughter has asked me more than once "why is that man talking while your watching the game". The man doesnt need to be a 100% accurate, just add a certain aesthetic dimension to the game, which he does (sort of a chaotic, real time description in the style of war correspondents).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Cole is and always has been an awful commentator. He knows next to nothing about the game despite being involved in it for his whole life. It is funny that people attribute his mistakes to his age........he has always made them but without social media they weren't pointed out publicly. I have listened to him for close to 40 years. It didn't take me long to realize that he didn't have a clue what he was doing. He has never been remotely able to follow the play and literally invents things that aren't happening. He has always looked like a fool

People really are simple, they can't seem to differentiate between nostalgia and relative contemporary talent. If he was starting out today he would be fired immediately. He truly is hockey's version of Harry Caray. An infant will be drawn to it's mothers voice regardless of the nonsense that she may be communicating.........this is exactly where this voice of hockey garbage comes from.

Is he a legend........yes, but only due to longevity and the fact he will be remembered by many as the first voice that they associated with hockey. He was simply in the right place at the right time.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
A lot of keyboard warriors in this thread, laughable really.

I usually hate this hyperactive guy and his YouTube typical quick-cut videos, but he's right this time.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I do listen to him, and I explained that calling the players by wrong name does not make him the worst broadcaster in the last 15 years. I would take Cole, and whatever his shortcomings, over that golf announcer that turns games into snoozefests on Sportsnet.

I grew up with Cole so I guess I'm biased, but I do think he gets criticized unfairly by focusing on details that are unnecessary to following a televised broadcast. It's actually kind of funny because my daughter has asked me more than once "why is that man talking while your watching the game". The man doesnt need to be a 100% accurate, just add a certain aesthetic dimension to the game, which he does (sort of a chaotic, real time description in the style of war correspondents).

I'm with you. I also grew up listening to Bob Cole and I don't care if he messes up names at times or is a little behind the play. Bob Cole's voice while calling games even at his advanced age is still better than most NHL play by play guys out there IMO. I'd take Bob Cole and Chris Cuthbert over pretty much anyone else calling NHL games these days but again too each his own.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bob's best days are behind him, but he was absolutely great in his day....
His most often used expressions, were ohh baby....and the Leafs are going on the power play...;)

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Cole is and always has been an awful commentator. He knows next to nothing about the game despite being involved in it for his whole life. It is funny that people attribute his mistakes to his age........he has always made them but without social media they weren't pointed out publicly. I have listened to him for close to 40 years. It didn't take me long to realize that he didn't have a clue what he was doing. He has never been remotely able to follow the play and literally invents things that aren't happening. He has always looked like a fool

People really are simple, they can't seem to differentiate between nostalgia and relative contemporary talent. If he was starting out today he would be fired immediately. He truly is hockey's version of Harry Caray. An infant will be drawn to it's mothers voice regardless of the nonsense that she may be communicating.........this is exactly where this voice of hockey garbage comes from.

Is he a legend........yes, but only due to longevity and the fact he will be remembered by many as the first voice that they associated with hockey. He was simply in the right place at the right time.

Ok, tell us who you think is a great broadcaster and justify it. What does this great hockey broadcaster offer. For someone offering a criticism this harsh, its very vague.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Love Bob Cole. I don't like listening to the so called 'witty banter' of almost all other english language broadcasters on sportsnet. Bob just calls it in real time like he sees it, and has no time for tomfoolery. His voice is still amazing, his excitement is real, I don't give a **** if he messes up a name I know who I'm watching I don't need to be told everything that is going on, I want someone to add something to the production and not distract me with stories about his wife or jokes about what they had for lunch or something stupid like that for 2 minutes straight while you know, a hockey game is being played and the play by play guy should maybe... call the play with intensity like Bob does. The hate on Bob is just internet hate, note how every player, coach, etc, gets hated on even here basically, I doubt he gives a **** and the vast majority of people still love him. Hope he sticks around as long as he can.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Love Bob Cole. I don't like listening to the so called 'witty banter' of almost all other english language broadcasters on sportsnet. Bob just calls it in real time like he sees it, and has no time for tomfoolery. His voice is still amazing, his excitement is real, I don't give a **** if he messes up a name I know who I'm watching I don't need to be told everything that is going on, I want someone to add something to the production and not distract me with stories about his wife or jokes about what they had for lunch or something stupid like that for 2 minutes straight while you know, a hockey game is being played and the play by play guy should maybe... call the play with intensity like Bob does. The hate on Bob is just internet hate, note how every player, coach, etc, gets hated on even here basically, I doubt he gives a **** and the vast majority of people still love him. Hope he sticks around as long as he can.

Well said, you saved me a ton of typing. :handclap:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Ok, tell us who you think is a great broadcaster and justify it. What does this great hockey broadcaster offer. For someone offering a criticism this harsh, its very vague.

Fact: Bob Cole can not follow the play
Fact: Bob Cole makes more mistakes on names than any broadcaster I have ever watched in any sport.
Fact: If he was hired today and people were hearing him for the first time he would be laughed at by those who currently support him. He is completely incompetent but nostalgia is a powerful thing and people are drawn to the voice that introduced them to the game. Why is it so hard to admit?????

As for great broadcasters.......I don't know who I would consider great. I am an analytical person and broadcasters are there for the sheep to follow. Cole is just one who irritates me. Perhaps I harbor disdain for those who share opinions on sports but do not have the knowledges to express a credible opinion. Cole's voice is just a constant reminder of the stupidity that is prevalent in sports broadcasting/media.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I didn't say he was good, he's still a legend though.

I loved him until around 07. He started to deteriorate fast after that. Like you said, he's still a legend. You can't fight age but he should've done the right thing and hung up his sweater when Sportsnet took over. The timing was perfect. It's hard watching him the way he is now. It's like watching a dog knowing he has a couple of days left to live.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Bob Cole has always been terrible. He gets lost calling a game. Thank god for the color guy correcting him all the time. Now dick irvin and his son they are legends

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Senile Bob Cole gave us "Everything is happening!". Think about it.

Plus I don't need the play by play if I'm watching on TV.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
You mean Martin McGuire right?

Yeah I think that's who he meant.

He really is great. I love me some Pierre Houde, he's incredible and he just has these catchphrases (see RDS memes lol) that we all know so well and that make him so easily recognizable. But overall, I think Martin McGuire is better in terms of the ability to talk quickly but with an almost perfect french.

I really, really like both of them.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There's a lot to be said for a great voice and Cole has one. These days we get more and more nerd voices like Jim Hughson, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad