Steve Dangle on Bob Cole

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Fact: Bob Cole can not follow the play
Fact: Bob Cole makes more mistakes on names than any broadcaster I have ever watched in any sport.
Fact: If he was hired today and people were hearing him for the first time he would be laughed at by those who currently support him. He is completely incompetent but nostalgia is a powerful thing and people are drawn to the voice that introduced them to the game. Why is it so hard to admit?????

As for great broadcasters.......I don't know who I would consider great. I am an analytical person and broadcasters are there for the sheep to follow. Cole is just one who irritates me. Perhaps I harbor disdain for those who share opinions on sports but do not have the knowledges to express a credible opinion. Cole's voice is just a constant reminder of the stupidity that is prevalent in sports broadcasting/media.

I think this post makes clear that Bob Cole is not the issue. Bob Cole is a play by play announcer, not a colour commentator or analyst. He doesn't need extensive hockey knowledge to call a game, just the rules, the players and the general context (which team is ahead, time left in the game, standings, etc). It's true that he sometimes offers additional commentary, but it's usually about the public or atmosphere. In rare instances he might offer an anecdote.

Unrealistic expectations are the prime cause of frustration. Your post is a perfect illustration.

As for admitting bias toward Bob Cole because I grew up with him, I direct you to the post at the top of page 2 where I mentioned that explicitly (weird that such an analytical mind as yours would miss that -- yet there it is). And yet, I justified my reasoning independently of that fact, where as the best you could come up with is that he makes mistakes and "knows next to nothing about the game." But then, you say that all broadcasters are beneath you anyway and they're only there for sheep like us. You provide no point of reference to understand what would make a good broadcaster in contrast to Bob Cole, nor do you explain what knowledge about the game a play by play announcer needs in order to be effective (does he really need to know "everything" about the game?).

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Fact: Bob Cole can not follow the play
Fact: Bob Cole makes more mistakes on names than any broadcaster I have ever watched in any sport.
Fact: If he was hired today and people were hearing him for the first time he would be laughed at by those who currently support him. He is completely incompetent but nostalgia is a powerful thing and people are drawn to the voice that introduced them to the game. Why is it so hard to admit?????

As for great broadcasters.......I don't know who I would consider great. I am an analytical person and broadcasters are there for the sheep to follow. Cole is just one who irritates me. Perhaps I harbor disdain for those who share opinions on sports but do not have the knowledges to express a credible opinion. Cole's voice is just a constant reminder of the stupidity that is prevalent in sports broadcasting/media.

Fact: Personally and I'm sure I can speak for many others. I don't need a broadcaster telling me exactly what's happening in the game. I can easily figure that out myself. If you need that type of help, then I can surely see why you would be disappointed, listening to Bob Cole.

Fact: Yes he does make a ton of mistakes. I'm sure if I took the time, I could pick apart any broadcaster that you could come up with, that you would/might consider better than Bob Cole.

Fact: The first part is speculation on your part...not fact. I will agree with you about nostalgia being a powerful thing. I'll admit that's a huge part of his charm for me. What's wrong with that?

As for being analytical, I would figure that would help you in expressing an opinion on who you would consider being a great broadcaster. Instead, you decide to go in a different direction, and take shots at people who are fans of Cole's style of broadcasting.

Personally it seems to me like you're looking for some robotic type character to broadcast games. For me, I like a more "raw" type of broadcaster. One that shows emotions, but doesn't disrupt the flow of the game.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
Yeah I think that's who he meant.

He really is great. I love me some Pierre Houde, he's incredible and he just has these catchphrases (see RDS memes lol) that we all know so well and that make him so easily recognizable. But overall, I think Martin McGuire is better in terms of the ability to talk quickly but with an almost perfect french.

I really, really like both of them.

He has trouble with names though. Lars Heller, Toma Plekanec, André Markov.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
AT one time a good caller, but not in 10 years. Chris cuthbert should have replaced him instead of getting the boot for that homer self loving jim hughson. Can't stand how he just loves to hear his own voice, otherwise he would say names the way he always does. I have yet to hear him say Umburger..nope always RJ Umburger..no crap jackass is there another Umburger on the team, in the NHL?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Fact: Personally and I'm sure I can speak for many others. I don't need a broadcaster telling me exactly what's happening in the game. I can easily figure that out myself. If you need that type of help, then I can surely see why you would be disappointed, listening to Bob Cole.

Fact: Yes he does make a ton of mistakes. I'm sure if I took the time, I could pick apart any broadcaster that you could come up with, that you would/might consider better than Bob Cole.

Fact: The first part is speculation on your part...not fact. I will agree with you about nostalgia being a powerful thing. I'll admit that's a huge part of his charm for me. What's wrong with that?

As for being analytical, I would figure that would help you in expressing an opinion on who you would consider being a great broadcaster. Instead, you decide to go in a different direction, and take shots at people who are fans of Cole's style of broadcasting.

Personally it seems to me like you're looking for some robotic type character to broadcast games. For me, I like a more "raw" type of broadcaster. One that shows emotions, but doesn't disrupt the flow of the game.

There is certainly some truth in this post. I don't like broadcasters in general because they represent the average clueless but passionate sports fan. I, like others on this board look at the game itself from a more analytical perspective. The background noise of some blithering fool is extremely irritating but I can't turn the volume down and miss out on the sounds of the game. I would be perfectly happy watching a higher view of the game with no commentator's at all. Cole just happens to be the one that annoys me the most because he often isn't even following the play. Combine this with the llitany of errors and it is truly awful. Cole has absolutely no ability, he is simply the voice people grew up with. I understand the nostalgic appeal but that is all that he has going for him. No different than Irvin and Gallavan in a sense that they weren't special talents but were in the right place at the right time.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Bob Cole is a legend. He's definitely lost it quite a bit when it comes to following the play, but he still captures the excitement of a big game better than any other play-by-play man out there.

Kind of like the past-his-prime Hall of Famer who pulls it together for one last great playoff run.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Bob Cole is a legend. He's definitely lost it quite a bit when it comes to following the play, but he still captures the excitement of a big game better than any other play-by-play man out there.

Kind of like the past-his-prime Hall of Famer who pulls it together for one last great playoff run.

He was never able to follow the play. The younger generation of viewers has grown older and are picking up on his mistakes. Much like many boys think that their father is a wise man only to grow up and realize that he is an idiot.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think maybe we should all just watch hockey in silence, only with occasional interruptions by Estimated Prophet telling us how analytical he is and how stupid we are.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think maybe we should all just watch hockey in silence, only with occasional interruptions by Estimated Prophet telling us how analytical he is and how stupid we are.

There are plenty of analytical thinkers on these boards. Sports are predominantly followed by people who don't understand the game from a strategic or tactical sense. There is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't make them stupid in any way. Unfortunately too many of them feel that they do understand the game and that is where the problems start.

People are passionate about sports and music and most have strong enemotional attachments to both. The result is strong opinions from people with limited knowledge. In order to find intelligent conversation on the matter you have to sift through alot of mindless conversations. I am sure Grant McCagg would agree with this sentiment.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Bob Cole has lost a step sure but when the stakes are high he is still money.

He can still put me on the edge of my seat.

He's a beauty.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
The tone and cadence of Bob Cole's voice is what makes him great, and his ability to throw in some amazing one-liners with that voice has made him legendary to so many fans.

Who cares about his knowledge? He's an entertainer not a teacher.

Some of you posters in particular need to get over yourselves.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Some people think so. But he's been among the very worst for at least 15 years.

Not at all. Bob Cole's voice IS hockey.

Yeah, he makes mistakes, but that's par for the course for a lot of commentators these days.

Hell, I just heard Greg millen last week constantly refer to emelin as eller (who wasn't even playing), and tokarski somehow turned into czerkawski.

Cole is still great at capturing the theater of what's going on, and it more than makes up for his mistakes.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I love Bob Cole. He and Dick Irving are the voice of hockey for me.

That being said, Father Time has caught up to Bob and he can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore. Like watching a great hockey player who's past his prime and just can't keep up anymore. It's a little sad and Bob should retire to preserve his legacy IMO.

HabstuckinTO

Oct 3, 2005
Toronto
Biggest pre-game disappointment the last few years? Finding out that Bob Cole is calling the game and Cassie Campbell is on the crew.

Where have you gone, Danny Gallivan?

Saintpatrick*

I love Bob Cole. He and Dick Irving are the voice of hockey for me.
That being said, Father Time has caught up to Bob and he can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore. Like watching a great hockey player who's past his prime and just can't keep up anymore. It's a little sad and Bob should retire to preserve his legacy IMO.

Same here. He's not perfect, he's aged but he is a legend despite what his critics might say.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
With everyone having HDTV s nowadays who gives a **** if he makes mistakes every once in awhile. No one better at describing the feel of the game or the atmosphere in the building.

Jim hughson never makes a mistake and he is god awful.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Bob Cole is a legend, sure he's not like he once was but he can still bring it, his work with Harry Neale as his wing man was the best combo in hockey for a long time. I am proud of my fellow newfoundlander and I would rather listen him anyday over Randorf or Hughson or Paul Romanuk, those guys suck.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Bob Cole is a legend, sure he's not like he once was but he can still bring it, his work with Harry Neale as his wing man was the best combo in hockey for a long time. I am proud of my fellow newfoundlander and I would rather listen him anyday over Randorf or Hughson or Paul Romanuk, those guys suck.

Randorf has come a long way since he started. He's not bad IMO

Hughson has always been one of my favourites going back to his tsn days, but I find his passion doesn't translate as well as it used to especially since he took over as the top dog for CBC.

Romanuk is another one I've liked since his tsn days. I'm glad he came back.

When I really think about it, we don't have it too bad in terms of hockey PBP guys, but there doesnt seem to be as many good color guys. Mike Johnson might be at the top of that list right now, but that's another topic.

Davebo*

listen to him.

he is always a few seconds behind the play. mispronounces all the names. calls players by the wrong name. seems confused by what's happening half the time.

He was none of that last night. And you're bordering on hyperbole - he was never that bad in that entire time frame. I'll take him anyday over the team of two idiots SN usually provides.

No way you're putting Bob behind either of those two morons.

Davebo*

*was

He should have retired.

So - not retiring eliminates his legend? The **** it does! You'd better get this newsflash out to Jagr, etc. They are tarnishing everything they've done in the past by continuing.... :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad