Injury Report: Stephen Weiss

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm old fashioned, but I prefer 1 line that can score for sure rather than 2 iffy lines.

But Dolph here posted a tweet that says Helm won't be the #2 center, so I guess I'm not sure what is being planned.

Me and you both. Spreading the wealth can also just be called watering down at times. We know that we're likely to get scoring from 13 and 40, so leave it. Especially with Tampa's top two players playing on the same line as well. If it was Pittsburgh we were facing, sure, split them up. But match power vs power tomorrow night and he will.

Babcock stated Helm won't play 2nd line tomorrow, and he also stated that he won't split 13 and 40.

This means either Andersson or Abdelkader will be playing 2nd line center.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The problem for me is calling up Glendening. Call up Sheahan or Jarnkrok instead, throw them onto the "second" line, and hope for the best. If they can't handle it, we still have Helm and Andersson in the lineup and we re-distribute ice time and juggle the lines as they go. I'd rather roll the dice with them than Andy on a scoring line roll.

I think there isn't cap space to call up two 900k caphit players. Because they need a defenceman Almquist/Ouellet too, the called forward has to be cheap, Emmerton-like minimum salary guy (Glendening). That could be why they are calling him. Järnkrok, Sheahan and Ferraro could be too expensive in this scenario to be called up.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Who is going to play 2nd line center!? I'M FREAKING OUT.

Probably Andersson. And while not close to ideal, I'm fine with that, given the circumstances (and if it does happen, you know Babcock will end up shuffling the lines during the game anyway). From what I've heard, Sheahhan is not playing well this season in GR, and Jarnkrok is still adjusting and not close to ready for a 2nd-line center role in the NHL. And if we're not splitting up Z and D (the right call) and not putting Helm in the top-6 (also the right call), we're limited with Weiss and Franzen out. Only guys who have any experience at center are Andersson, Glendening, Miller, and Abdelkader. Of those 4, I'd easily pick Andy for a top-6 center spot over the others.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wishful thinking my friend. As I understand it, Helm was centering the line Tatar was on in practice. I doubt Babs puts Helm as the 2C even with how much he loves him.

And if Babs *does* put Helm as 2C, he's even battier than I thought. A guy who just came back from looooooong injuries, has played all of 2 games back, was never a top6er even before his injuries, and he's being slotted in at 2C when we still have a Zetterberg and Datsyuk?

I mean, when Weiss comes back, hopefully Tatar and Alfie will stay as his wingers.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
http://www.freep.com/article/20131108/SPORTS05/311080108

HSJ article about 2nd line centre search with Weiss and Franzen out. Interesting quotes from Babcock about Cleary.

From the article:

The Wings aren't doing well at Joe Louis Arena — winless in four straight, in fact — and part of the reason lies in the lack of a potent second line. What Babcock wants is someone to show they deserve to play with Daniel Alfredsson, the one other top-six forward getting the job done.

"We need someone to play with him," Babcock said. "We've got to get him some help. He's a good player. We've got to get him some skating and a net presence and some execution. We need to help him out."

Tomas Tatar appears to have the edge on playing the left wing, opposite Alfredsson. Of late, Alfredsson has been with Weiss and Daniel Cleary, but "that hasn't been a good line for us," Babcock said. "So we're going to try something else." Cleary has three points, or as Babcock put it, "not enough."

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Short term IR, which Franzen is on, gives no cap relief.

i know but it does allow for a temp ahler to come up for a day or two as oppossed to making moves to allow it full-time

and yes i know franzen is not actually the guy we would move out to allow it to happen, its just funny is all.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
yes i am saying he is chicken little for being reluctant to make the necessary moves, if I am wrong or using the phrase wrong, enlighten me...

I think Chicken Little typically refers to someone who believes the world is ending, or sky is falling, and panics as a result. The problem with Holland is the opposite of Chicken Little. He's far too committed to staying the course, and as a result, doesn't make any significant moves.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think Chicken Little typically refers to someone who believes the world is ending, or sky is falling, and panics as a result. The problem with Holland is the opposite of Chicken Little. He's far too committed to staying the course, and as a result, doesn't make any significant moves.

yes that is the meaning of the phrase

to me it simply sounded funny as I feel he is a little chicken afraid to step up and be decisive when such actions are required

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
http://www.freep.com/article/20131108/SPORTS05/311080108

HSJ article about 2nd line centre search with Weiss and Franzen out. Interesting quotes from Babcock about Cleary.

From the article:

It is nice for Babcock to say he is going to try something else.

It is pretty obvious to me that means

Tatar-XX-Alfie

The question is, who would centre the line??
He basically all but said it WONT be Helm.

So this is what we are realistically looking at

Z-D-Bert
Tatar-ANDY-Alfie
Cleary-Helm-Abdelkader
Miller-Glendenning-Sammy or Eaves.

Bottom line there are many positives about this:

Cleary out of top 6
Abdelkader out of top 6 (from beg of the year)
Bert making the top line work… thus making sure Abby isn't used up there anymore/Also slots Alfie onto line 2.

When healthy this will mean:

Z-D-Bert
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie

BUt there is a window here… a window for Tatar to displace Franzen or at very least displace cleary from line 3 to 4, when tatar is bumped back to 3.

Thus the rise of Tatar and the demise of cleary.

Its working… its working. Just no more points for cleary, more points for Tatar weeeeeee

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Those KFC Chicken Little's are pretty good for like a buck fitty. But it depends where you get 'em.

Not saying I haven't been there, but I am pretty certain KFC should have the warning certain death on the side of the building or like a surgeon generals warning around the side of the building. Careful how much you eat there.:laugh:

I think I prefer calling Holland the little chicken (the right word in front of the other) over the garbage man, but it's a tough call as far as the options the Holland detractors have allowed us to see. At least this was a new attempt and I agree that his aggression has left him recently, I hope he can find some more of it, he isn't going anywhere.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It is nice for Babcock to say he is going to try something else.

It is pretty obvious to me that means

Tatar-XX-Alfie

The question is, who would centre the line??
He basically all but said it WONT be Helm.

So this is what we are realistically looking at

Z-D-Bert
Tatar-ANDY-Alfie
Cleary-Helm-Abdelkader
Miller-Glendenning-Sammy or Eaves.

Bottom line there are many positives about this:

Cleary out of top 6
Abdelkader out of top 6 (from beg of the year)
Bert making the top line work… thus making sure Abby isn't used up there anymore/Also slots Alfie onto line 2.

When healthy this will mean:

Z-D-Bert
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie

BUt there is a window here… a window for Tatar to displace Franzen or at very least displace cleary from line 3 to 4, when tatar is bumped back to 3.

Thus the rise of Tatar and the demise of cleary.

Its working… its working. Just no more points for cleary, more points for Tatar weeeeeee

If they aren't playing Helm because of the coming off injury, I would play either Glendening or Abdelkader in that center spot before Andersson. We are very familiar with the guy that is going to be the #2C. I guess with last change we can mess with that, but giving Filppula a matchup against a slow guy is pretty much the last thing I would do. Especially because Andersson isn't overly physical, I would prefer the heavier playing faster guys on him, tell both just to park it out front in the offensive zone.

For this reason by the way the obvious callup for this game was Sheahan, higher end skill than Glendening and Andersson. Oh well, I do like Glendening and he never disappoints when being tasked with a bigger role. Quite frankly Andersson hasn't playing all that well I don't endorse him going into the top 6.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If they aren't playing Helm because of the coming off injury, I would play either Glendening or Abdelkader in that center spot before Andersson. We are very familiar with the guy that is going to be the #2C. I guess with last change we can mess with that, but giving Filppula a matchup against a slow guy is pretty much the last thing I would do. Especially because Andersson isn't overly physical, I would prefer the heavier playing faster guys on him, tell both just to park it out front in the offensive zone.

For this reason by the way the obvious callup for this game was Sheahan, higher end skill than Glendening and Andersson. Oh well, I do like Glendening and he never disappoints when being tasked with a bigger role. Quite frankly Andersson hasn't playing all that well I don't endorse him going into the top 6.

None of them belong in the top 6, but that is how injuries work :P

Puddles

Mar 18, 2013
Babs sounds pretty upset to me. Not good for clearly, Weiss, mule. I'm a little frustrated just like everyone else, but all this mule hate is rediculous. He's a goal scorer and most of them are streaky. A reduce in production with age and long term contract is perfectly normal. I think if he can get healthy he will be fine. The trouble that holland has is he has painted himself into a corner with clearly and Sammy. He can't bring up jurco, Ferraro, pulks, etc. because of the cap problem. If you think about it, this is the perfect scenario other than cap problems to Bring up a kid or two with a ligit chance of taking a job from one of the vets.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quite frankly Andersson hasn't playing all that well I don't endorse him going into the top 6.

Still, I would not hesitate to use him as 2nd C at this situation. He was the 1st line center at Griffins Championship team, with two midget wingers (Tatar & Nyquist). His job was to win faceoffs, win board battles and drive to to the net. Tatar an Nyquist feeded the puck.

I can't see why it wouldn't work again short-term with different skilled midget wingers (Tatar & Alfie).

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Alfredsson has been with Weiss and Daniel Cleary, but "that hasn't been a good line for us," Babcock said. "So we're going to try something else." Cleary has three points, or as Babcock put it, "not enough."

There is a god. :bow:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad