Injury Report: Stephen Weiss

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Sucks that once he starts to show he is getting it going he goes down with an injury. Hope it is not for too long. He was our resident train wrecker on faceoffs for like the past 5-7 games. Sadly because of that cleary was getting a bunch of ice time. But to me he was finally turning the corner :( .

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Uh oh, does this mean 1st unit PP time and 18 minutes a night now? I'm concerned.

:laugh: God I hope not.

What Babcock really said was: Cleary has three points, or as Babcock put it, "not enough. So we need to get him some more time on the powerplay to really get him going. Maybe try him out on the big line with Hank and Pavs." :sarcasm:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
What's crazy is his point totals are even WORSE. He's on pace for under 15 points this year. That's just shockingly bad for a player who gets as much icetime as he does.

What's crazy is even as the #1 Cleary hater in the universe. I think he's already had more decent games than he did all of last regular season.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What's crazy is even as the #1 Cleary hater in the universe. I think he's already had more decent games than he did all of last regular season.

Lol I agree. I don't know if I'd say he's been better this year, but he's been less noticeable in a good way. Meaning he's not carrying the puck into the offensive zone every shift and turning it over. Now he's just pretty much skating and forechecking, hoping to force turnovers and win a puck battle. But still, like Babcock said it hasn't been enough to earn 2nd line minutes.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Lol I agree. I don't know if I'd say he's been better this year, but he's been less noticeable in a good way. Meaning he's not carrying the puck into the offensive zone every shift and turning it over. Now he's just pretty much skating and forechecking, hoping to force turnovers and win a puck battle. But still, like Babcock said it hasn't been enough to earn 2nd line minutes.

It's early. Hopefully Babcock wises up and puts him on the 4th line. I can live with that.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
It's early. Hopefully Babcock wises up and puts him on the 4th line. I can live with that.

Thats where I'm at with Cleary.

He does enough good things defensively and has stated to know his limitations offensively.

If we could get him off the Powerplay and on the 4th line where he belongs I don't have much of a problem with him.

I'm at the same point with Sammy. He's not terrible as a bottom 6 guy, but he has no business on the PP.

I'd much rather Nyquist than either one of them though

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Thats where I'm at with Cleary.

He does enough good things defensively and has stated to know his limitations offensively.

If we could get him off the Powerplay and on the 4th line where he belongs I don't have much of a problem with him.

I'm at the same point with Sammy. He's not terrible as a bottom 6 guy, but he has no business on the PP.

I'd much rather Nyquist than either one of them though

I'm trying to be reasonable here. But I've failed to see what things he does defensively that any other player can't do. Every once in awhile, Dan Cleary back checks hard and he does give it his all out there. At the same time in the offensive zone he turns the puck over or loses a battle in a corner. If he was on the 4th line playing just 8 minutes a night, OK, cool. However, he's playing the PK and on the ice during critical moments. Other players on this team that are faster can fill that role.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If they aren't playing Helm because of the coming off injury, I would play either Glendening or Abdelkader in that center spot before Andersson. We are very familiar with the guy that is going to be the #2C. I guess with last change we can mess with that, but giving Filppula a matchup against a slow guy is pretty much the last thing I would do.

Match Helm-line against Filppula and Tatar-Andersson-(Alfie) playes against Tyler Johnson, like they did at those AHL-finals. Andersson can shut that midget down.

Datsyuk shuts down Stamkos. 4th lines meet each other.

There's our game plan.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I'm trying to be reasonable here. But I've failed to see what things he does defensively that any other player can't do. Every once in awhile, Dan Cleary back checks hard and he does give it his all out there. At the same time in the offensive zone he turns the puck over or loses a battle in a corner. If he was on the 4th line playing just 8 minutes a night, OK, cool. However, he's playing the PK and on the ice during critical moments. Other players on this team that are faster can fill that role.

Like I said he's started to know his limitations offensively...he still turns the puck over from time to time, but far less than last season.

As far as his defensive effort its the one and only area I think he's still useful. He's rarely out of position defensively and has been one of the better penalty killers on the team. He's only been on for 1 PP goal against all season.

I will concede though that I don't want him on the ice in critical situations even if he's playing fine defensively...I'd much rather Datsyuk and Zetterberg be out there when the game is on the line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As far as his defensive effort its the one and only area I think he's still useful. He's rarely out of position defensively and has been one of the better penalty killers on the team. He's only been on for 1 PP goal against all season.

I hope we'll see this kind of lines at the playoffs:

Zeta - Dats - Bert
Mule - Weiss - Nyquist
Tatar - Andy - Alfie
AKader - Helm - Miller/Cleary
(Sammy)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Uh oh, does this mean 1st unit PP time and 18 minutes a night now? I'm concerned.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, what Babs meant by "not enough" is "not enough opportunity for him to be the beast that we know he is."

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Weiss with only 10 minutes tonight(Granted, Cleary had even less :amazed:) Weiss hasn't been amazing, but centering Cleary and Samuelsson isn't going to get him going, smh.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Weiss with only 10 minutes tonight(Granted, Cleary had even less :amazed:) Weiss hasn't been amazing, but centering Cleary and Samuelsson isn't going to get him going, smh.

The other three lines are clicking, so until Datsyuk and Bert come back or they **** the bed midway through a game, it's going to stay that way.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Based on his numbers this season, Weiss is playing where he belongs - on the 4th line with those two scrubs.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Say he finishes the season with 30~ points. Does he get bought out? Roll the dice on Grabovski?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Say he finishes the season with 30~ points. Does he get bought out? Roll the dice on Grabovski?

Honestly? If they can sign someone (Grabo, Stastny, even Bolland) before buying him out (forgetting how the cap works in that respect), then I would. Weiss has 9 points in his last 44 NHL games. I'm worried he's going the way of Jokinen/Booth instead of Horton.

You cannot use a compliance buyout on Weiss and a regular buyout would be a disaster, so no that is extremely unlikely.

:( Just as I was fantasizing...

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Putting dollars aside, and some injury struggles, A Weiss-Samuelsson combo should be able to hold up a NHL 3rd line IMO, but even more so a respectable 4th line.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Putting dollars aside, and some injury struggles, A Weiss-Samuelsson combo should be able to hold up a NHL 3rd line IMO, but even more so a respectable 4th line.
Both were quite decent 18 months ago with the Panthers. It cannot be completely gone, although Cleary as third partner does not help either case at all...

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad