Recalled/Assigned: STEPHANE VEILLEUX!!! (also: Harding & Dowell up; Zuck, MG & Kuemper down)

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
We call up two gritty players to play on the fourth line, while our two gritty guys on that line are recovering from injuries. Why are we freaking out?

I supposes its because the team has been struggling to score goals so badly, and we sent down guys who maybe can score for somebody with almost zero talent. But you're correct. Stephane is about as good as we had as a choice for the role we needed him to fill.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Am I the only one who ****ING LOVES this decision? Veilleux is awesome. Has always been. Will always be. The pingpongmaster, expert cyclist and hooo boy when he gets on the ice. Instant energy. You need to play him 5 minutes/game and the team is fired up. Also, Avder, he DOES put the check back into forecheck.

And Dowell... Well, since he's on a 1-way next year, I think it's about a time we see what kind of a guy we have in him. Typical 4th line grinder, from what little I've seen of him in AHL, but not bad at all to have depth.

Granted, I wanted to see Fontaine and McIntyre as much as the next guy, but this was a bottom-6 call-up. No use to call up Fontaine to play on the 4th line. I think if Seto or Poms gets injured (God help us all...), we'll call up Fontaine.

Giles Ferrell

#believeinyeo
Mar 24, 2013
Minnesota
I supposes its because the team has been struggling to score goals so badly, and we sent down guys who maybe can score for somebody with almost zero talent. But you're correct. Stephane is about as good as we had as a choice for the role we needed him to fill.

Zucker and Granlund were clearly part of the problem lately, so I 100% agree with the decision to send them down. They weren't scoring by any means.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
So granlund was on emergency call-up right? Anyone know if this uses up all our call-ups or what, I don't know who was an emergency call-up or not.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
These two weren't called up to "jump start" the team or to be the magical answer to get into the playoffs. They were called up because they are mature hockey players who don't give up space without a battle and can knock a few heads.

If you start from the premise that CF and Yeo are looking to Dowell and Veillux to right the ship then you are starting from the wrong premise.

The ones who need to right the ship are the same ones who have been sailing this ship from the start. These two are just now joining to provide some stability while the top 9 attempts to get a job done that they so far have found difficult to finish.

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
These two weren't called up to "jump start" the team or to be the magical answer to get into the playoffs. They were called up because they are mature hockey players who don't give up space without a battle and can knock a few heads.

If you start from the premise that CF and Yeo are looking to Dowell and Veillux to right the ship then you are starting from the wrong premise.

The ones who need to right the ship are the same ones who have been sailing this ship from the start. These two are just now joining to provide some stability while the top 9 attempts to get a job done that they so far have found difficult to finish.

What is this?! A rare sighting of a logical Wild fan! :handclap:

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
You seriously have never heard of Stephane Veilleux?

Forgot the :sarcasm:

If we want some energy fine Veilleux and Dowell might bring a little. What this team needs right now however is goals. I don't see these players being a better option than the ones that were replaced. It doesn't matter though, nobody on the team is willing to do what they have to do to win games. The Avs and Oilers are going to come out with everything they have to try and sink us. The Wild flat out don't have it right now. They couldn't beat an AHL team yesterday, so why does anyone expect any different in the final 3 games?

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Forgot the :sarcasm:

If we want some energy fine Veilleux and Dowell might bring a little. What this team needs right now however is goals. I don't see these players being a better option than the ones that were replaced. It doesn't matter though, nobody on the team is willing to do what they have to do to win games. The Avs and Oilers are going to come out with everything they have to try and sink us. The Wild flat out don't have it right now. They couldn't beat an AHL team yesterday, so why does anyone expect any different in the final 3 games?
They are a better option because while not scoring goals they will add physicality, positional responsibility and poise that comes with maturity.

When Zucker and Granny aren't providing offense they become a liability because they don't have anything else in their skill set to help the team, they are both out of positions often, they aren't physical and play questionable d.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

Well, Mitchell hasn't scored his trademark coast-to-coast clutch goal yet this season, so we have one there. Veilleux is bound to draw penalties. Now that we haven't got Granlund in 4th, they can go full BOOM again. The downside is that Clutterbuck will most likely play with Brodz on 3rd again.

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
Okay i laughed because we are having a tiff in another thread.

:cheers:

Ha, there's nothing wrong with disagreements. I have "big knock out, drag down" fights with some of my closest hockey friends. Just a matter of keeping the argument separate from the person. It's not like I think you're a bad person or an idiot or something lol.

Plus even if you were, it doesn't mean you couldn't have a logical thought every once and a while :p:

Wildfan10*

I may be the only one, but from what I've seen, the biggest problem with this team is giving a consistent effort. It seems like one line goes out and just stands around and then everyone else just follows. I think these moves are great, they are two veteran players known to completely bust their ***** off on the ice every shift. Hopefully they can light a fire under everyone's *****.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Did Yeo really said that these 4th line scraps play the game "right way"? Don't expect system change any time soon.. We should just trade the offensively gifted players away(zucker,granlund) we clearly don't use them how they should be used.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
You know, I think this is the right move. He's tried to spread out three quasi-scoring lines and a scorer with a grinder and it hasn't worked.

Look at their record the last 3/29:

Record = 4-8-1 (0.346)
GF/G = 1.92
GA/G = 3.08

Granlund and Zucker in that time had a whopping ONE goal between them in that stretch. They were not adding offense. Adding these guys has almost no impact on the offense but should improve the defense.

As Lou Nanne said on KFAN yesterday, Yeo is going to try to grind out 3 points these next few games. He's going to tell the Wild to play brutally boring defensive hockey and keep the score as low as possible and try to get games into overtime. That's nothing new, Lemaire did that for years.

Now, where I think he's wrong is that Yeo thinks that is how you win in the playoffs...it's not. Lemaire hockey won two playoff series in nine years. Skilled teams that don't make many mistakes win in the playoffs. You need to score goals to win. You need your skill guys to pick their spots and the Wild forwards don't seem able to do that, either because of their makeup or the coaching staff.

If you're going to grind games, you need your special teams to be lights out. We haven't seen that this year. If you can't outscore the opponent 5v5 and you aren't going on the PP, you're going nowhere fast.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Can't wait to go to the game tonight and speak with a fellow season ticket holder that I've been speaking with the last few years. I literally said at the end of the game Yeo would find a way to get Veilleux up here next game. Hilarious and sad that it came true.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il

Good post.

I like your style my friend:yo:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Can't wait to go to the game tonight and speak with a fellow season ticket holder that I've been speaking with the last few years. I literally said at the end of the game Yeo would find a way to get Veilleux up here next game. Hilarious and sad that it came true.

Section 114 right here

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
Veilleux will be scratched, Konopka is in tonight.

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 22m
Veilleux will actually be scratched. Konopka is ready, Yeo says #mnwild was playing well when it had a fourth line identity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad