Confirmed with Link: Stempniak to BOS for 2017 2nd and 2016 4th round picks

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I looked at probably the same site, they traded their 2 for Brett Connolly so yeah they didn't have a 2 this year. The question is could they have gotten a two this year from another team or did they trade Stemp to Boston as some kind of a favor cause he's got family there?

I doubt Shero did Stempniak a favor unless it's to keep Stempniak happy so that he re-signs with us during the off-season. Then it's sort of an "I-scratch-your-back-you-scratch-my-back" kind of thing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While that makes Shero a nice guy, I would not be happy if we passed a 2nd this year for one next year to just do Stemps a favor because I'm still going with the idea that the loss in value due to time will be greater then the difference in draft strength (and I think you have to until you know for sure next year is decently stronger).

A) If we resign Stemp I don't really care either way in the end
B) I'm just spitballing, I find it hard to believe that a 2 next year from one team is the only 2 offer we got though

I doubt Shero did Stempniak a favor unless it's to keep Stempniak happy so that he re-signs with us during the off-season. Then it's sort of an "I-scratch-your-back-you-scratch-my-back" kind of thing.

That's exactly why I thought of that as a theory tbh.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A) If we resign Stemp I don't really care either way in the end
B) I'm just spitballing, I find it hard to believe that a 2 next year from one team is the only 2 offer we got though

That's exactly why I thought of that as a theory tbh.

It crossed my mind it is part of giving us the inside track to resigning him, but that seems a bit far fetched to me...but maybe? He has family and a house up there so it does seem Shero might of tried to make it work for him.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
It crossed my mind it is part of giving us the inside track to resigning him, but that seems a bit far fetched to me...but maybe? He has family and a house up there so it does seem Shero might of tried to make it work for him.

his off season home is in boston according to TG

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
It's silly and short-sighted because how you acquired the player is extremely relevant.

Shero did something because he probably feels that two draft picks are more valuable to this franchise right now than a 33-year old. I don't understand what your issue with the trade is.

My issue is I'd like to make the playoffs before the year 2020.

We are the worst offensive team in the NHL and that was with Stempniak, for whom we have no in house replacement. Between losing him and our top aging and always injured LW, we are still hurting big time for offense.

Draft picks are nice. I wish we had made a few other "Gelinas-type" trades today. But actual established NHL players aren't bad either, and we don't have enough of them at forward. We have the cap room, and I can't imagine Stempniak costing all that much to re-sign (yeah yeah I know he might come back). In this case I just thought he was more valuable to us than the future picks.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Stempniak will probably not have another season like he did this year.

He would have been or would still be a nice player to build a REAL 3rd line around. Once we also maybe got some better 3rd line players than we already have.

He might score 18 points in 82 games playing with any of Josefson, Kalinin and Kennedy.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Loved having stempniak here but realistically the guy is 33 already. His career high is 52 points in 2006. at best he usually floats around 30-40 points a year. His career shooting percentage is .109 hes shooting .133 this year. His value will never be higher than it was today so im all ok for this trade

Camille the Eel

Too bad we weren't able to pry Frank Vatrano out of Boston.

Hope Stemp does well in Boston. Good trade day for them, because after everything they did they held on to Vatrano in the AHL. He's the real deal - a big strong fast forward - has looked great in his NHL games for the big club already and is tearing up the minors.

The Bruins needed defense badly and it's too bad that with our overstocked back line, we were not able to pry Vatrano out of them. But it would have taken Greene or Larsen to do it, because the only way the Bruins would have moved him (if he was not indeed untouchable given that they won't resign Erickson and also Vatrano is a local Mass boy) was for someone who could shore them up now for a deep run in the playoffs. They would not have been interested in an un battle tested youngster, even Severson.

In my head I know this was a sound move for us. But in my heart it sure doesn't feel that way. Stempniak was a big part of what I liked about this club this year.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Stempniak is a perfect 3rd line RW for this team next season. Hopefully with Zajac as his center.

As I was told in sex education class, hope is not a method. There is zero chance of the scenario you'd like to see. We'd need like 4 new top 6 players for that to happen.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
My issue is I'd like to make the playoffs before the year 2020.

We are the worst offensive team in the NHL and that was with Stempniak, for whom we have no in house replacement. Between losing him and our top aging and always injured LW, we are still hurting big time for offense.

Draft picks are nice. I wish we had made a few other "Gelinas-type" trades today. But actual established NHL players aren't bad either, and we don't have enough of them at forward. We have the cap room, and I can't imagine Stempniak costing all that much to re-sign (yeah yeah I know he might come back). In this case I just thought he was more valuable to us than the future picks.

What value does he have if the team misses the playoffs and he walks at the end of the season?

Nobody here will say you can compete without established NHL players. But Stempniak was worth more as a trade asset than he was playing on a team that might miss the playoffs.

Shero bought low and sold high. No problem there.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
As I was told in sex education class, hope is not a method.

:laugh: I always heard that if repeat "NO BABY NO BABY NO BABY" as the end happens that you're good.

---
Free assets are a good thing. A 2nd and 4th for a guy we got dirt cheap is a positive thing, and let's be honest, he's having a career year. Solid move Mr. Shero.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Keeping Stempniak would have been exactly the kind of move Lou would have pulled that always drove me nuts. Sometimes you've got to look at the bigger picture.

As far as the pick being a 2017 pick instead of this year, I actually think that's a more valuable pick. This year's draft is very weak on depth, and if Boston wins a round or two, that pick could have ended up being late 2nd. Our scouts probably already have a good idea of what 2017 is looking like.

The strength of a draft can be a pretty big deal. If you look at the 2nd round for 2009, 13 players taken are still NHL assets - IIRC 12 played more than 100 games. Look at 2007 and the number of players that became anything at all drops to 5.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Keeping Stempniak would have been exactly the kind of move Lou would have pulled that always drove me nuts. Sometimes you've got to look at the bigger picture.

As far as the pick being a 2017 pick instead of this year, I actually think that's a more valuable pick. This year's draft is very weak on depth, and if Boston wins a round or two, that pick could have ended up being late 2nd. Our scouts probably already have a good idea of what 2017 is looking like.

The strength of a draft can be a pretty big deal. If you look at the 2nd round for 2009, 13 players taken are still NHL assets - IIRC 12 played more than 100 games. Look at 2007 and the number of players that became anything at all drops to 5.

It will also give us some flexibility to make some trades have a few extra picks. I don't think the Palmieri deal happens if we don't have an extra second round pick and third round pick. Seems like Shero has been in on a lot of young promising players like Pirri, Yakupov, Drouin, and Eberle. More picks will only help him acquire those guys.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It will also give us some flexibility to make some trades have a few extra picks. I don't think the Palmieri deal happens if we don't have an extra second round pick and third round pick. Seems like Shero has been in on a lot of young promising players like Pirri, Yakupov, Drouin, and Eberle. More picks will only help him acquire those guys.

True. As I and others have said elsewhere, Shero should really target Namestnikov. Who knows, maybe that pick by itself would land him?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
True. As I and others have said elsewhere, Shero should really target Namestnikov. Who knows, maybe that pick by itself would land him?

I would look more towards Killorn.

I wouldn't be upset with Namestnikov, but my first priority would be trying to get Killorn. He's a big, physical, and dominant winger which I think could be a nice compliment to some of the guys we have. My only problem with him is he's yet another LW and doesn't really play center too much.

Tampa has a few nice pieces we could use.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I wouldn't be upset with Namestnikov, but my first priority would be trying to get Killorn. He's a big, physical, and dominant winger which I think could be a nice compliment to some of the guys we have. My only problem with him is he's yet another LW and doesn't really play center too much.

Also Killorn will cost more in trade. Between that and him being a Wing, I'd rather focus on Namestnikov. I think Yzerman would ask quite a bit for Killorn.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

We better hope stammer stays there.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Stempniak with OT winner and assist tonight
6 or 7 pts in 3 games

What was all that talk here on the form that he would not walk onto a team and not work in the lineup?

Sure he will cool off but wow were you guys wrong
Sweeny did good here!

Ladd has 5 pts on 5 games, Stemp had double the output. A first probably was not out of the question if he keeps up at half this pace!
HF boards might have been wrong this time huh?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
6 or 7 pts in 3 games

What was all that talk here on the form that he would not walk onto a team and not work in the lineup?

Sweeny did good here!

Ladd has 5 pts on 5 games, Stemp had double the output. A first probably was not out of the question if he keeps up at half this pace!

A first was definitely out of the question and comparing him to Ladd seems silly to me. I understand he was having a great season but for a journeyman like Stempniak has been there really isn't that high of a price tag on those types of players.

Shero did fine with this trade, stop nitpicking it to all hell.

kiwidevil

6 or 7 pts in 3 games

Sweeny did good here!

I'll say, we should've just held onto him until no one offered us a 1st round pick.
That's some good asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad