Confirmed with Link: Stempniak to BOS for 2017 2nd and 2016 4th round picks

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If we can trade some of these picks into a solid player then this works out. Not a ton of value in the picks themselves to where we are at (and where Cory is at career wise too).

So if all we do is actually use them in the draft pretty meh.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If we can trade some of these picks into a solid player then this works out. Not a ton of value in the picks themselves to where we are at (and where Cory is at career wise too).

I think Shero's stockpiling the picks for a reason. I feel like he might use them to make a trade at the draft. Just my opinion, of course, but I could see it happening in a similar way to the Palmieri trade.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

What were you expecting? A team to offer a first or a prospect? Not going to happen for a guy that has been chucked from team to team for years. 2nd next year and 4th this year is more than fair.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I was hoping for a 2016 2nd, but fair deal nonetheless

It's usually more ideal to get the pick sooner but if next year's draft is really stronger than this year's it's almost equivalent value (yes most of the time a pick now is worth more than the one next year but if the draft next year is better that sort of cancels it out). I suspect that's also why we got a 2017 3rd for Gelinas instead of one this year - or a 4th this year.

I would have maybe preferred one of their prospects to a 2017 2nd, but it is what it is.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
2nd round picks are overrated. For every gem you get 5% of the time you get the other 95% never amounting to anything in the NHL.

I mean, we got Stempniak for free and honestly he had his stats heavily inflated by playing with Cammaleri. When he didn't play with Cam he never amounted to anything.

Basically a "meh" trade.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
2nd round picks are overrated. For every gem you get 5% of the time you get the other 95% never amounting to anything in the NHL.

I mean, we got Stempniak for free and honestly he had his stats heavily inflated by playing with Cammaleri. When he didn't play with Cam he never amounted to anything.

Basically a "meh" trade.

Really? You sound like a visiting Ranger fan. It's a solid deal. By add picks, you use them for trade or to move up in the draft.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
a late second gives you something like a 10% chance at a top 6/Top 4 (or better) player and maybe like 25% at an NHL regular.

in exchange for that we traded a 33 year old journeyman we signed as a tryout

That's a net gain in my book, especially since you can package that pick in a trade for an actual real valuable player in the offseason (Palmieri anyone?)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
a late second gives you something like a 10% chance at a top 6/Top 4 (or better) player and maybe like 25% at an NHL regular.

in exchange for that we traded a 33 year old journeyman we signed as a tryout

That's a net gain in my book, especially since you can package that pick in a trade for an actual real valuable player in the offseason (Palmieri anyone?)
Yeah, that fact makes it impossible to view the deal any other way than success.

The Devils essentially spent 80OK and got 40 points and two draft picks. That is incredible.

Still would've liked a smidgen more.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Use the picks to move up or make a solid acquisition ala Palmieri. Really good deal.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Yeah, that fact makes it impossible to view the deal any other way than success.

The Devils essentially spent 80OK and got 40 points and two draft picks. That is incredible.

And the fact that we have truckloads of cap space to resign him makes this a no-brainer

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Well, we had some success in the 2nd round recently (Severson, Merrill, and maybe Santini and Blackwood).
So, why not ?

Still, sad. Stempniak looks like a good guy, and we have way less depth in front now, despite being still in the playoff hunt.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

Not at all. It's driving me bonkers hearing this. Where your players come from is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how you manage the assets that you have on hand.

Camille the Eel

And the fact that we have truckloads of cap space to resign him makes this a no-brainer

I would have resigned him because we need some stable pieces in the dressing room and I think he is a very big reason we performed better than we feared we might this year. The guy is a pro and taking him out of the current structure leave a big "lack of structure" to this team. (If that isn't too strangely expressed).

To build you need a foundation; you need some posts and beams. While developing the youngsters (Blandisi, Kalinin [who is not that young], Boucher, several defensemen) Stempniak was a very stable piece of the structure of a team that felt like it could win. So as to avoid trying to train a bunch of youngsters amidst a losing chaotic and demoralized locker room.

I would have brought him back for that reason. Jettisoned the Farnhams, Tootoos, Ruutus, a lot of marginal guys. Because heck, Stempniak is our best scoring guy on the entire team right now. In relation to picks two years down the road, I don't like the lack of structure.

We need a balanced competitive team while we build. But of course this season is in the books really. And it will be up to Shero to put such a team together for 15-16.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
That's just silly and short-sighted

Why? You should automatically trade any impending 33 y/o UFA's simply because they were acquired cheaply? People are just itching to say we made out because we turned nothing into two draft picks. Fine I get it, but that alone is not the reason to do something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad