Confirmed with Link: Stempniak to BOS for 2017 2nd and 2016 4th round picks

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Everyone complaining.... What's better? Getting these two picks for a essentially nothing, or not making the playoffs and Stempniak leaving for nothing anyway? Regardless of how well preliminary talks have gone, there's no guarantee he would've stayed anyway. Long term this is the right move without any shadow of a doubt.

Why would keeping him for a playoff run mean he wouldn't be brought back?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As far as I'm concerned we aren't done here. Shero has to now turn the picks into something, preferably something we can use inside of Cory's prime window.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
As far as I'm concerned we aren't done here. Shero has to now turn the picks into something, preferably something we can use inside of Cory's prime window.

Yep. You don't amass a bunch of picks like this an just take on a bunch of young draft picks with Cory in his prime. Package them - bundle with a player/prospect and upgrade. Start with a paper clip and end up with a computer.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
They are ok picks. A 2nd next year and a 4th this year don't hold a ton of value. Could be enough to get something done, but its not a TON.

This 2nd is not equivalent to the 2nd we traded for Kyle.

Good picks in the sense I didn't expect to get better returns, and certainly the third for Gelinas was better than I expected.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yep. You don't amass a bunch of picks like this an just take on a bunch of young draft picks with Cory in his prime. Package them - bundle with a player/prospect and upgrade. Start with a paper clip and end up with a computer.

I imagine that is the plan, but I won't feel better until this is liquidated and I have actual green in my pocket...if this metaphor makes any sense.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Good picks in the sense I didn't expect to get better returns, and certainly the third for Gelinas was better than I expected.

I do agree on that, but again that is also 2017 so I wonder how much value they have in trades this year (plus its now our only 2017 third unless Lou sends over the 3rd the Leafs owe us).

It isn't a bad pile of picks, but lets not act we are sitting on a bunch of late 1st rounders here. Not a giant pile of chips to push in here.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I do agree on that, but again that is also 2017 so I wonder how much value they have in trades this year (plus its now our only 2017 third unless Lou sends over the 3rd the Leafs owe us).

It isn't a bad pile of picks, but lets not act we are sitting on a bunch of late 1st rounders here. Not a giant pile of chips to push in here.

I'm happy with the returns. I think the returns will allow us to do things we might not be able to do if we kept Stempniak and/or Gelinas, and neither of those players were going to be able to return great picks or players. We made out about as well as we could've overall in my opinion.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Why? You should automatically trade any impending 33 y/o UFA's simply because they were acquired cheaply? People are just itching to say we made out because we turned nothing into two draft picks. Fine I get it, but that alone is not the reason to do something.

I don't feel this is the reason. Stemp was really useful on the first line when he was playing with Camm. The Devils should be trying to pick up top 6 talent this summer and that would mean Stemp would be pushed down to the third line. I don't think his production is anywhere near this year playing on the third line given the lesser talent on that line as well as this being his best year in a long time.

Best to cut ties before we get lesser production. We can always try to sign him again.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It was a short stint here, but it's things like this that explain the guy we had. It says a lot about you too Lee.

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice
Stempniak:"I got a phone call or text message from, I think, every person on the team & it says a lot about the group we had in New Jersey"

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
I'm going to be in the minority on this one I think, but this wasn't a good move. The Devils aren't dead in the water yet and Stempniak was a useful forward on a team that's offensively starved. This also sends the message to the boys from the front office that they've given up. I don't like it.

Shero should have gone for a one year extension.

I'm not sure what you're watching, but this is not a playoff team. They probably were if Camm weren't injured as we would have more points, but they aren't very good as constructed.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If someone can double check would be great, but I don't think Boston even has a 2nd this year so the idea Shero preferred a 2nd next year over this year I don't think holds water.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If someone can double check would be great, but I don't think Boston even has a 2nd this year so the idea Shero preferred a 2nd next year over this year I don't think holds water.

I looked at probably the same site, they traded their 2 for Brett Connolly so yeah they didn't have a 2 this year. The question is could they have gotten a two this year from another team or did they trade Stemp to Boston as some kind of a favor cause he's got family there?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It was a short stint here, but it's things like this that explain the guy we had. It says a lot about you too Lee.

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice
Stempniak:"I got a phone call or text message from, I think, every person on the team & it says a lot about the group we had in New Jersey"

I really feel for Stempniak.

Seems like he is well-liked wherever he goes but always ends up getting the short end of the stick. He wanted to stay in Winnipeg and wasn't offered anything. He wanted to stay here but was traded.

I'm hoping he comes back in the summer to be a middle-six player for us.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I looked at probably the same site, they traded their 2 for Brett Connolly so yeah they didn't have a 2 this year. The question is could they have gotten a two this year from another team or did they trade Stemp to Boston as some kind of a favor cause he's got family there?

While that makes Shero a nice guy, I would not be happy if we passed a 2nd this year for one next year to just do Stemps a favor because I'm still going with the idea that the loss in value due to time will be greater then the difference in draft strength (and I think you have to until you know for sure next year is decently stronger).

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Seems like he is well-liked wherever he goes but always ends up getting the short end of the stick. He wanted to stay in Winnipeg and wasn't offered anything. He wanted to stay here but was traded.

I feel for him, too. He was a good player this year and seems like a great guy. I hope we can re-sign him to a reasonable deal during the off-season, although I'm pleased with the return we got for him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ya I want him resigned even more now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad