Prospect Info: Stefan Matteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How did things turn out better here?

I never said they did, just the whole point is that you don't often see teams send down 1st round picks that are in their 1st year of waiver eligibility because they know that it's likely some team will take a shot on them. Hence they kept Tinordi, NJ kept Matteau, until they were able to trade them. It's actually a shame that the rule is in place, as it may have helped Tinordi a lot more if he was able to play in the AHL all year vs sitting in the press box. I don't know Matteau too well but sounds like the same could be said for him.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It's actually a shame that the rule is in place, as it may have helped Tinordi a lot more if he was able to play in the AHL all year vs sitting in the press box. I don't know Matteau too well but sounds like the same could be said for him.

Oleksiak is another.

I understand what the Habs did but I would like to think they would have risked losing Tinordi if they had depth in the organization at left defence. Not good enough to play for us but too good to lose seems like a contradiction.

Leaving these kids sitting for 3-4 months without hardly playing seems pretty counterproductive. Having someone among your team who isn't playing can't be great for team morale.

These situations will come up again and I am interested to see how the Habs will react. (i.e. including if Matteau is still here in the fall, it could be similiar).

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Tinordi..........Matteau.........both first round busts.......nothing else to talk about there.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Except that one of them is apparently playing for the Habs tonight.

Yep..........you probably could ask 100 NJ fans who Stefan Matteau is and you would get at least 90 of them looking at you like you got two heads.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If he can become some sort of Roussel/Nolan type player he'll be an asset to this team. That's what I'm hoping for.

Same thing from me.

We had DSP to play a physical style of play and he didn't do it. Matteau loves the physical play. He'll fit the role. At least, that's my hope.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Tinordi..........Matteau.........both first round busts.......nothing else to talk about there.

One was drafted in 2010, the other 2012. I will hold judgement for the near term on Matteau. Hard to call a 22 year old a bust

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Oleksiak is another.

I understand what the Habs did but I would like to think they would have risked losing Tinordi if they had depth in the organization at left defence. Not good enough to play for us but too good to lose seems like a contradiction.

Leaving these kids sitting for 3-4 months without hardly playing seems pretty counterproductive. Having someone among your team who isn't playing can't be great for team morale.

These situations will come up again and I am interested to see how the Habs will react. (i.e. including if Matteau is still here in the fall, it could be similiar).

why risk losing him for nothing though, when you can try to get something. Granted Bartley isn't much, but he's helped the IceCaps improve their defense while he was there and NJ gets DSP for holding onto Matteau. Again nothing great but still better then nothing.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
why risk losing him for nothing though, when you can try to get something. Granted Bartley isn't much, but he's helped the IceCaps improve their defense while he was there and NJ gets DSP for holding onto Matteau. Again nothing great but still better then nothing.
Like I said above, if he was kept because of depth chart, I get it. But it's clear that his value around the league was very low, which Bergevin had to know. I don't think this situation promoted the Habs to other players around the league.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Like I said above, if he was kept because of depth chart, I get it. But it's clear that his value around the league was very low, which Bergevin had to know. I don't think this situation promoted the Habs to other players around the league.

I wouldn't think it's for the depth chart that they kept him, more for asset management.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Dsp for matteau will look like a total mess by the end of the season. Lol Matteau doesnt seem like a smart follow on the ice.. (In terms of dicipline)

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I wouldn't think it's for the depth chart that they kept him, more for asset management.
Don't know if you remember but there used to be something called the waiver draft. I believe it might have eliminated some of these situations. Teams started exposing their bad contracts though which defeated the real purpose. If we see more young players sitting there each year for several months maybe it will be a talking point down the road.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
He did throw the body. Then, he had a shift where the ducks had pressure, and he just kinda stood around. I guess he has to learn da system.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
much like when we got DSP last year, I said why not wait till we see him next year after he's had time to adjust to the system and playing for the Habs. For DSP it also was about him getting his conditioning in order, which to his credit he seemed to do a better job at. For Matteau, I would think they got him not for what he can do for the team this year but what they think he might be able to bring next year and on if he can get on track.

I know it was only one play but I did like seeing him with McCarron on the ice, 2 big bodies on a team that sorely needs some size plus physical presence. But he'll need to be smarter, as dumb penalties will land him in the coaches dog house in no time.

Don't know if you remember but there used to be something called the waiver draft. I believe it might have eliminated some of these situations. Teams started exposing their bad contracts though which defeated the real purpose. If we see more young players sitting there each year for several months maybe it will be a talking point down the road.

yea, I've been a huge hockey fan since the mid '80's. I'm just glad they got rid of the recall waivers, I hated those.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Am I the only one who likes him?

that last hit?!? he's a tank.

it's only one game but man he's better than expected. i've got a feeling he'll be really frustrating but he's still young and has so little NHL experience.

imagine he actually puts it together? i'm not holding my breath but he's doing what DSP should've been doing. and i actualy didn't mind DSP.

He probably doesn't have it between the ears to really make it happen. Still he's a welcome site so far.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
that last hit?!? he's a tank.

it's only one game but man he's better than expected. i've got a feeling he'll be really frustrating but he's still young and has so little NHL experience.

imagine he actually puts it together? i'm not holding my breath but he's doing what DSP should've been doing. and i actualy didn't mind DSP.

He probably doesn't have it between the ears to really make it happen. Still he's a welcome site so far.

I just remember the time we played NJ and he was all over us

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Really like Matteau. Didn't thought he was that good a skater. He's quick and solid on skates. A big fearless and energic player that can skate and hit, with good shot and some hands.

It will take more than one game to be absolutely sure but between him and DSP, it looks like an interesting gamble for Habs.

Matteau could be very usefull to Montreal for many years if he keeps it straight.

Love the cage too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad