Prospect Info: Stefan Matteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Matteau probably should have been in the AHL all season, this is close to a lost season for him.

Is Matteau going to end up in the press box now? Will Lessio end up there alot instead?

Matteau couldn't play in the AHL this year since he would need to go through waivers. Much like Tinordi they had to carry him in the NHL this year.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Yeah but in hindsight we now know why the Devils didn't give up this 1st. Lou is one sly man.

Wrong, they clearly ****ed up not giving up the 29th overall pick that year. They ended up not giving up a pick, but their pick for 2014 was reinstated at 30th overall. I'd much rather have a top-10 pick than the 29th and the 30th overall pick. It's the difference between Nylander, and Stefan Matteau and John Quennville. Lou's a good GM, but let's not act like keeping the pick was a good move. It was dumb then and it's dumb now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Ryan isn't an ECHL caliber player

******** statement. Ryan White has 7 goals this year which is more than just about all of our 4th liners combined.
Comments like that shows you know nothing about the fact that Ryan White is a solid 4th line player.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Matteau couldn't play in the AHL this year since he would need to go through waivers. Much like Tinordi they had to carry him in the NHL this year.

I didn't realize this. It seems like his 21 year old season. Still I imagine
he would clear. I think it's likely he could use more AHL time. Problem is,
if he closer to a useful player,(say after next training camp) he might not,
and you'd have to keep him up.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
******** statement. Ryan White has 7 goals this year which is more than just about all of our 4th liners combined.
Comments like that shows you know nothing about the fact that Ryan White is a solid 4th line player.

Did you read what he said

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
A lot of us need reHab -- this team has taken the best out of any fan. If you survived this year, you could probably become a navy seal. :sarcasm:

They tried to make me go to reHab but i said No, No, No!

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. (crazier?)

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

I'm aware of that. And just like Tinordi, the risk should have been taken.
The difference with Habs was there were no injuries on the blueline early on or Pateryn and Tinordi would have gotten more time.

Sitting players in the pressbox isn't much of a way to develop them in my opinion.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't realize this. It seems like his 21 year old season. Still I imagine
he would clear. I think it's likely he could use more AHL time. Problem is,
if he closer to a useful player,(say after next training camp) he might not,
and you'd have to keep him up.

It is his 21 year old season. He played more then 10 games in the NHL at 18. I don't think he would have cleared.

I'm aware of that. And just like Tinordi, the risk should have been taken.
The difference with Habs was there were no injuries on the blueline early on or Pateryn and Tinordi would have gotten more time.

Sitting players in the pressbox isn't much of a way to develop them in my opinion.

There is no risk, they would have been picked up 100% imo. Very rarely do you see first year waiver eligible 1st round picks clear waivers. Some team will usually take a shot on them hoping they turn things around. So if you send Tinordi or Matteau down, the GM's know they are gone for nothing.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
It is his 21 year old season. He played more then 10 games in the NHL at 18. I don't think he would have cleared.

There is no risk, they would have been picked up 100% imo. Very rarely do you see first year waiver eligible 1st round picks clear waivers. Some team will usually take a shot on them hoping they turn things around. So if you send Tinordi or Matteau down, the GM's know they are gone for nothing.

Ok, that puts a different light on the trade. Matteau is then somewhat
more awkward to work with.

There are issues to waiver eligibility I need to learn. I should just
read up on it, instead of bothering other posters every time I don't get it.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
There are better players then those two who have cleared waivers this year. You don't have to go far, Barberio with the Habs.

I understand why the Habs did it, it simply came down to the weak state of the depth chart. They wanted Tinordi's replacement.

In Jersey, they saw Lou claim Corrado off waivers and then keep him in the pressbox most of the year. Beyond him, I don't know who would have claimed Matteau, he's not an NHL player at this point, go check the Devil's forum. I have followed the Devils more then the Habs this year and just about every forward they brought in or up from the minors bypassed him. On a team crying for offence and loaded with injuries up front, he could not stay in the lineup.

Edit: I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong,

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ok, that puts a different light on the trade. Matteau is then somewhat
more awkward to work with.

There are issues to waiver eligibility I need to learn. I should just
read up on it, instead of bothering other posters every time I don't get it.

Waivers can be tricky, had they not played him in more then 10 games in his first season at 18, his contract would have slid 2 years but that cost them and now it's put him in a tough spot as you could send him down and hope no one takes him but since we aren't likely making the playoffs, why not just keep him around and see how he does at camp next year.

There are better players then those two who have cleared waivers this year. You don't have to go far, Barberio with the Habs.

I understand why the Habs did it, it simply came down to the weak state of the depth chart. They wanted Tinordi's replacement.

In Jersey, they saw Lou claim Corrado off waivers and then keep him in the pressbox most of the year. Beyond him, I don't know who would have claimed Matteau, he's not an NHL player at this point, go check the Devil's forum. I have followed the Devils more then the Habs this year and just about every forward they brought in or up from the minors bypassed him. On a team crying for offence and loaded with injuries up front, he could not stay in the lineup.

Edit: I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong,

But Barberio and the others weren't former 1st round picks that were in their first year of having to clear waivers. It's not about players being better, it's teams willing to take a shot on a kid that was a top 30 pick and may just need a change of scene.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
.It's not about players being better., it's teams willing to take a shot on a kid that was a top 30 pick and may just need a change of scene..
So you should keep 1st round picks on your roster who can't help your team because you're afraid of losing them?

To me you need a better reason then that.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
So you should keep 1st round picks on your roster who can't help your team because you're afraid of losing them?

My last comment was in response to a different post.

But in regard to this.If you think the player will have enough future value, then you
should keep him at the cost of a roster spot. Even if he can't contribute right now.
Unless you can trade him for reasonable value. And this is a situation where good GMs
sometimes move young players with good upside, because they have more value to
a less competitive team.

Last edited:

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Waivers can be tricky, had they not played him in more then 10 games in his first season at 18, his contract would have slid 2 years but that cost them and now it's put him in a tough spot as you could send him down and hope no one takes him but since we aren't likely making the playoffs, why not just keep him around and see how he does at camp next year.

But Barberio and the others weren't former 1st round picks that were in their first year of having to clear waivers. It's not about players being better, it's teams willing to take a shot on a kid that was a top 30 pick and may just need a change of scene.

When, or if, ELCs slide is another technicality that can be confusing,but
can effect the value of young players in a trade.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
My apologies. I saw is when he said is not. I apologize for my inability to read a simple sentence

It's easy to misconstrue that comment. I originally took the meaning the same as you. Glad you took the heat though. Hehe

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

It's either you keep them or most often you see them traded rather then send them down and lose them for nothing. They did it with Hossa, Chipchura, Leblanc. Now Tinordi just took longer then you usually see.

When, or if, ELCs slide is another technicality that can be confusing,but
can effect the value of young players in a trade.

yea it can be confusing and can effect the value. Look at DLR, had they kept him in the AHL last year or sent him down after he played 9 NHL games his contract would have slid but now he'll be an RFA at the end of next season.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
My last comment was in response to a different post.

But in regard to this.If you think the player will have enough future value, then you
should keep him at the cost of a roster spot. Even if he can't contribute right now.
Unless you can trade him for reasonable value. And this is a situation where good GMs
sometimes move young players with good upside, because they have more value to
a less competitive team.

I don't understand how the player can improve if he's not playing for long periods. If you can think of examples where this strategy has been effective, I really can't.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
It's either you keep them or most often you see them traded rather then send them down and lose them for nothing. They did it with Hossa, Chipchura, Leblanc. Now Tinordi just took longer then you usually see.
Bartley was on waivers himself this year and cleared. Habs could have had him for nothing (i.e. without John Scott).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They tried to make me go to reHab but i said No, No, No!

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. (crazier?)

The only thing that is being made stronger through this is our aversion to mediocrity. But, that's what passes for entertainment these days, so we can't really complain.

Ah yes, Amy. She'd be known as "whinehouse" if she were still around and posting here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad