Prospect Info: Stefan Matteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I assume he stays in the NHL. I know he was teammates with McCarron on the USNDTP, but I haven't seen much of him in the AHL. In the past 2 years in the AHL he's had only 53 pts in 128 games, so that's concerning. I know he's got size and is supposed to be a bit of a power forward, hopefully Timmins and or the pro scouts think he can get back on track.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
CHarakter:

From 2013:

The Blainville-Boisbriand Armada released New Jersey Devils prospect Stefan Matteau on Monday for deserting the team following a playoff game.

General manager Joel Bouchard said the club had to uphold its rules and values even when it is in the midst of a playoff series. The Armada trail the Baie-Comeau Drakkar 2-0 in a best-of-seven Quebec Major Junior Hockey League semifinal series.

The move was surprising because Matteau’s father, former NHL forward Stephane Matteau, is an assistant coach with the Armada and will remain in his job.

Reportedly unhappy with his ice time, 19-year-old Stefan Matteau did not get on the team bus after a loss in Baie-Comeau, Que., on Sunday, but rode back home on a fan bus instead.

“We demand two things from all our players — to play with effort in the team system and to be a good, respectful teammate,” said Bouchard, who added it was not the first time Matteau has been in trouble.

“We’ve told him several times that his behaviour was unacceptable in our organization and we often had to call him on the carpet this season.”

Bouchard said he considers the case closed and wants his team to focus on the playoffs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...vils-prospect-stefan-matteau/article11466992/

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
CHarakter:

From 2013:

The Blainville-Boisbriand Armada released New Jersey Devils prospect Stefan Matteau on Monday for deserting the team following a playoff game.

General manager Joel Bouchard said the club had to uphold its rules and values even when it is in the midst of a playoff series. The Armada trail the Baie-Comeau Drakkar 2-0 in a best-of-seven Quebec Major Junior Hockey League semifinal series.

The move was surprising because Matteau’s father, former NHL forward Stephane Matteau, is an assistant coach with the Armada and will remain in his job.

Reportedly unhappy with his ice time, 19-year-old Stefan Matteau did not get on the team bus after a loss in Baie-Comeau, Que., on Sunday, but rode back home on a fan bus instead.

“We demand two things from all our players — to play with effort in the team system and to be a good, respectful teammate,†said Bouchard, who added it was not the first time Matteau has been in trouble.

“We’ve told him several times that his behaviour was unacceptable in our organization and we often had to call him on the carpet this season.â€

Bouchard said he considers the case closed and wants his team to focus on the playoffs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...vils-prospect-stefan-matteau/article11466992/

On one hand, that's a legit concern.
On the other, the sense of entitlement when you're a well-regarded player in your prime (in the juniors anyway) is probably much higher than when you're mostly an NHL hopeful.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Follow a fair number of Devils games and he has gotten chances on a team that is crying for offence. Others have passed him by there (Blandisi, Boucher) Probably should not have been in the NHL so early.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
Some comments from reddit. Don't take them for granted, but whatever... :|

"Matteau doesn't do any of that, and he takes a lot of horrible penalties.. so at least you won't be lied to. You'll hate him right off the bat, I assumed he'd be a career AHLer."

"I think every Devils fan will be absolutely delighted by this trade. Matteau has failed to make an impact at the NHL level at every opportunity and I never even dreamed of getting anything for him in a trade. I'll take Smith-Pelly's 55 points in 195 NHL games over Matteau's 5 points in 44 NHL games (and 1 in 20 this season) every single time."

"If you look at his performance during his draft year, you'll see two primary reasons he was drafted: his size and his reputation as a physical player (his last name helped him, too, I suppose). He was rushed into the NHL as an 18-year-old and then frequently scratched and left to rot in the press box. He lost waiver exemption some time ago, so he couldn't be sent to the AHL, either.
At the NHL level, he hasn't used his size or physicality at all. He is barely noticeable during most of his shifts -- unless he's taking a penalty or screwing up the forecheck. He is not defensively responsible, and at the same time, generates nothing offensively, so he was entirely useless in his time with us."

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
he needs to be the banger, he is big and can skate, forget about goals just use that big body and hurt the other team............then we can talk about scoring.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Welcome to our bottom 12.

101mvj.jpg

** credit JLP for the bottom 12 designation

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Hi, Montreal fans. Just wanted to give you a bit of a run-down on Matteau since you acquired him. I can't give you too much of a scouting report on Matteau as an NHL player, because he didn't get much of an opportunity to play in the NHL this season. Personally, I think he's a guy who can play bottom six minutes, and mainly plays the game that you would expect of a bottom six player: physical, sticking up for teammates in tussles, and crashing the net for dirty goals. The biggest problem for him in the early part of the season--which might have alienated him from our coaching staff--was his tendency to take many, bad penalties, but that seemed eliminated from his game in the handful of games that he played since then. Overall, he's not really noticeable, which is both a positive and a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad