Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm going to be getting my hands on a flight stick shortly and haven't played a space/flight sim game since Freespace 2, any good recommendations? I do have Everspace in my library already and was looking at Elite Dangerous on my wishlist.

Always a must for me with flight games is the proper way to 'turn right' is to flip your craft vertical then pull up. Any game where you fly right simply pressing right has just never worked for me.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Well if it's anything you ask for, it's anything I can suggest! I started keeping a spreadsheet last year of all the games I beat and how I rated them, these are my highest rated games of the past 2 years:

Metro Exodus - Instead of linear subway settings, most of this is outdoors in open world settings. The first couple are more open world-y than the latter ones but I think it was a great change. It really reminds me of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (also worth checking out!) with all the different ways you can approach things.

Return of the Obra Dinn - It's a detective game where you watch flashbacks and have to solve what happens to all the crew members. It sounds kind of strange but it works incredibly well and is a ton of fun.

Katana Zero - It's like a 2D platformer version of Hotline Miami that works incredibly well.

Thronebreaker - RPG in the style of Gwent from The Witcher 3, it has a great story from the Witcher universe.

Blasphemous - Tough but great metroidvania with a really dark setting.

Trine 4 - More great Trine action! Puzzle/Platformer where you can control 3 different characters with their own abilities and beautiful settings.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Another incredible Metroidvania.

Supraland - Basically a first person puzzle/metroidvania game. The combat's rather lacking but there's not too much of it, it's all about the creative puzzles.

Divinity: Original Sin - A long turn based RPG. Everything about it is great but if I could only pick one thing to praise, it's the combat. You can mix all sorts of different abilities like soaking enemies and then electrocuting them for additional damage and things like that.

Opus Magnum - Awesome puzzle game where you have to set a series of mechanical objects and functions for them to perform to solve puzzles.

Black Mesa - The definitive way to play one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time, Half Life.

Yes, Your Grace - A kingdom simulation game where you have limited supplies and have to prepare for a war. You can't help everyone so you have to pick and choose who to help and how to help them. The story's great.

Wasteland 3 - Another turn based RPG, choices really matter, awesome setting. A bit shorter than Divinity or Wasteland 2, it took me about 45 hours to complete, but absolutely worth the time.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Beautiful metroidvania with great gameplay.

A Plague Tale: Innocence - Kind of like a stealth/action game that his heavily story based. I went in expecting like a Telltales game but there's less choices and a lot more action than I was expecting. It's still mostly about the story, it's incredibly well written even if the gameplay can feel a bit lacking at times.

Distance - Racing game that defies gravity. You can jump, wall ride, etc. It's short but a ton of fun and you can play it in bursts.

Ghostrunner - A fast paced first person melee game. You die in one hit but can wall run, slide, grapple, etc to approach your enemies. You can slow down time when they attack to dodge their attacks. It's beautiful too.

Bridge Constructor Portal - You build bridges and supports to solve puzzles that involve portals. The whole theme is around the Portal series, although it's not made by Valve.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - For an older game, it still looks great and colorful. The story was interesting and the characters well written. The gameplay's fun, it's like a spectacle fighter. Think DMC or Bayonetta style but a bit slower paced than those.

Ryse: Son of Rome - A short, very linear action game with an interesting story and fantastic visuals. Gameplay's solid. It's just $3 and I find it hard to believe you'll find a game that looks better than this for $3.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Has anyone played Paradise Killer? I'm debating picking it up in the sale.

I heard it was incredible but on the surface it looks like weird anime-style bullcrap. :laugh:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Steam sales end up getting less and less appealing to me, especially since I'm just addicted to Pavlov anyway. I only picked up a few games:

Death Stranding - Already a few hours in. It's pretty crazy, no idea what's really going on other than the basic story so far. I am liking how the missions seem relatively short so far. Not sure how much I want to be running for like a half hour to deliver one story item but I suspect that'll happen later on.

Crown Trick - Turn based roguelite game. I'm really enjoying it so far. Just completed my first run after about 7 hours. I want to keep going though, the gameplay is great.

Boneworks - Haven't started it yet but I've had my eye on this VR title for a long time now.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Steam sales end up getting less and less appealing to me, especially since I'm just addicted to Pavlov anyway. I only picked up a few games:

Death Stranding - Already a few hours in. It's pretty crazy, no idea what's really going on other than the basic story so far. I am liking how the missions seem relatively short so far. Not sure how much I want to be running for like a half hour to deliver one story item but I suspect that'll happen later on.

Crown Trick - Turn based roguelite game. I'm really enjoying it so far. Just completed my first run after about 7 hours. I want to keep going though, the gameplay is great.

Boneworks - Haven't started it yet but I've had my eye on this VR title for a long time now.

For me, Steam sales definitely don't hold the same excitement. I think it's due to two big items:

1) A huge backlog of stuff already in my library that I haven't played, but want to.

and

2) Xbox Game Pass :laugh:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Well if it's anything you ask for, it's anything I can suggest! I started keeping a spreadsheet last year of all the games I beat and how I rated them, these are my highest rated games of the past 2 years:

Metro Exodus - Instead of linear subway settings, most of this is outdoors in open world settings. The first couple are more open world-y than the latter ones but I think it was a great change. It really reminds me of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (also worth checking out!) with all the different ways you can approach things.

Return of the Obra Dinn - It's a detective game where you watch flashbacks and have to solve what happens to all the crew members. It sounds kind of strange but it works incredibly well and is a ton of fun.

Katana Zero - It's like a 2D platformer version of Hotline Miami that works incredibly well.

Thronebreaker - RPG in the style of Gwent from The Witcher 3, it has a great story from the Witcher universe.

Blasphemous - Tough but great metroidvania with a really dark setting.

Trine 4 - More great Trine action! Puzzle/Platformer where you can control 3 different characters with their own abilities and beautiful settings.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Another incredible Metroidvania.

Supraland - Basically a first person puzzle/metroidvania game. The combat's rather lacking but there's not too much of it, it's all about the creative puzzles.

Divinity: Original Sin - A long turn based RPG. Everything about it is great but if I could only pick one thing to praise, it's the combat. You can mix all sorts of different abilities like soaking enemies and then electrocuting them for additional damage and things like that.

Opus Magnum - Awesome puzzle game where you have to set a series of mechanical objects and functions for them to perform to solve puzzles.

Black Mesa - The definitive way to play one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time, Half Life.

Yes, Your Grace - A kingdom simulation game where you have limited supplies and have to prepare for a war. You can't help everyone so you have to pick and choose who to help and how to help them. The story's great.

Wasteland 3 - Another turn based RPG, choices really matter, awesome setting. A bit shorter than Divinity or Wasteland 2, it took me about 45 hours to complete, but absolutely worth the time.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Beautiful metroidvania with great gameplay.

A Plague Tale: Innocence - Kind of like a stealth/action game that his heavily story based. I went in expecting like a Telltales game but there's less choices and a lot more action than I was expecting. It's still mostly about the story, it's incredibly well written even if the gameplay can feel a bit lacking at times.

Distance - Racing game that defies gravity. You can jump, wall ride, etc. It's short but a ton of fun and you can play it in bursts.

Ghostrunner - A fast paced first person melee game. You die in one hit but can wall run, slide, grapple, etc to approach your enemies. You can slow down time when they attack to dodge their attacks. It's beautiful too.

Bridge Constructor Portal - You build bridges and supports to solve puzzles that involve portals. The whole theme is around the Portal series, although it's not made by Valve.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - For an older game, it still looks great and colorful. The story was interesting and the characters well written. The gameplay's fun, it's like a spectacle fighter. Think DMC or Bayonetta style but a bit slower paced than those.

Ryse: Son of Rome - A short, very linear action game with an interesting story and fantastic visuals. Gameplay's solid. It's just $3 and I find it hard to believe you'll find a game that looks better than this for $3.

Thanks, ended up buying Opus Magnum and the whole Zachtronics pack. Obra Dinn has been on my watchlist for a while, but gonna wait for a better discount. Agree Supraland is a lot of fun, loved that game.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Only bought Nier automata on steam since it was finally a good discount. And I bought Hades on epic since the $14cad off coupon made it way cheaper than steam. Just beat cyberpunk, and started Hades.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I was wondering why super meatboy forever reviews werent out when it was recently released. Apparently its an apple arcade autorunner mobile game that had timed exclusivity. Anybody play it? Thinking of using the epic coupon on it.

edit: I bought it. It was between Meatboy for $8 and Death Stranding for $18.

Also I dont know if anybody noticed this, but Im picking up far cry 1 and 2 from the uplay store (its the same price as the epic and steam store, I figure I might as well support them directly), man the uplay website looks like it was designed by the same people who made the grey market key reseller sites like G2A etc.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Apparently the scott pilgrim game is now a UPLAY exclusive on PC. shame but the price is pretty fair.

edit: and the epic games store. So I'm guessing its epic boxing out steam again.

Also, I recently bought the razer kishi. Man this is incredibly good if you own a compatible phone and do some mild gaming on your phone.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I played it for a few hours. It's crazy hard but was fun. Problem is the community is so small and there's no matchmaking. Pretty much every game was fully controlled by 1 player who seems to have made it their life goal to get good at that one game. Then there's always one toxic player to go along with that. I stopped playing after like 2-3 hours.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Anyone play Slapshot Rebound? Its crazy hard

Great game. I actually made a prototype a few years ago for a hockey game with the same control scheme and physics driven gameplay, but I couldn't get the controls to feel challenging and rewarding the way they did, so I abandoned it.

They got it down perfectly, it's pretty much exactly the game I envisioned (except professionally done instead of my amateur work) so it's nice to see it come to fruition without having to spend years on it myself :laugh:

Now to figure out how to stickhandle without leaving the puck behind every damn time...

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
So we have the Lunar New Year sale going on right now. I'm digging around to see what I can find that I haven't really seen before, and I have come across a few that I'll probably get which includes this one called Eastshade.

Looks like a pretty solid game by the reviews if you just want to have something to relax with and do some exploring. From the screenshots itself, the art looks absolutely beautiful.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So we have the Lunar New Year sale going on right now. I'm digging around to see what I can find that I haven't really seen before, and I have come across a few that I'll probably get which includes this one called Eastshade.

Looks like a pretty solid game by the reviews if you just want to have something to relax with and do some exploring. From the screenshots itself, the art looks absolutely beautiful.

This is on gamepass too for those that have it, which if you dont, only costs a dollar

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Steam Summer Sale is currently underway. I've snagged a few games.

Papers, Please
Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
Two Point Hospital
The Long Dark
Don't Starve Together
A few puzzle games, Sudoku Universe, Hexologic, Lyne and Sinkr

I still have my eye on something else, but we will see near the end of the sale about how I'm feeling.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
i'll probably pick up ...

*was hoping it would go on sale ...but it didn't. will prob still pick it up since i was a big fan of WWF Wrestlefest, and this is sort of a spiritual successor *

love the old C&C games.

hmmm ...yeah, that's probably it.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Has anyone played the remastered Yakuza games? 3-5 are available on Steam and I'm looking at picking them up. I've also got 6 on my list. I've only played 0 before but I'd like to play through the entire series, at some point.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Ended up buying 4 games during the Winter sale.

Noita
Gunfire Reborn
Skul: The Hero Slayer
Disco Elysium

I'm REALLY liking Skul and Gunfire Reborn so far. I need to give Noita a bit more of a shot.
I'll finally try Disco Elysium at some point today I believe. I keep hearing so many good things about it so I went ahead and bought The Final Cut version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad