Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Haven't bought anything yet, some of the better looking deals on my watchlist include Battletech (75%), Slay the Spire (50%), Moonlighter (66%), Dead Cells (40%) and The Forest (50%).
I can’t recommend Slay the Spire enough. Such an incredible game and endlessly replayable. Tons of mod support too if you tire of the original characters. So much strategy and thought goes into every run.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So far I bought:

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - Refunded because the controls are really bad. The angle you hold everything feels so off that I couldn't get into it.

Deep Rock Galactic - Refunded because everything is so damn dark. I get it's a mining game but you can't even see teammates because there's no UI for them. Every single time I turned around near my teammate, I lost him just a couple seconds later.

Raft - I haven't even played it yet but hopefully third game's the charm! lol

If you enjoy games like Raft (survival, exploration, crafting), another very cheap game with many similar characteristics is Miasmata, only $2 on Steam sale. It doesn’t have the level of crafting/base building, but similar mix of exploration/survival.

Beyond the usual other games with those characteristics like Subnautica, The Forest and The Long Dark, one recently new one from last year Green Hell looks pretty good, only a 20% discount this sale though.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I remember trying Miasmata years go. I don't really recall it as much of a survival game as it was just an exploration game. I played for a couple hours before giving up because I just had no clue where to go. I was using triangulation and everything like the game tells you to do but just couldn't find where to go for the story. My memory's fuzzy since it has probably been 5+ years but I feel like I entered a large cave in a ravine and couldn't figure out where to go from there.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Metal slug collection(1,3,x)
-great ‘bullet hell’ type game. Beautiful and brutal animation

Soul caliber 6
-weapon based 3D fighter

doom 2016
-blastin demons for days.

More stellaris dlc
-stellaris is an incredible 4x strategy game in space. Lots of dlc for this one. Been picking it up little by little.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started Raft, it's a lot of fun. I'm playing with a friend of mine, not sure how much it would maintain my interest if I was playing alone. We ended up playing for 3 hour straight. We got lucky finding a pretty big island of underwater materials to farm and the shark bugged out. It took us probably 15 minutes to farm everything underwater until it was all collected. I can see myself playing this game for a while.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I started Raft, it's a lot of fun. I'm playing with a friend of mine, not sure how much it would maintain my interest if I was playing alone. We ended up playing for 3 hour straight. We got lucky finding a pretty big island of underwater materials to farm and the shark bugged out. It took us probably 15 minutes to farm everything underwater until it was all collected. I can see myself playing this game for a while.

Glad you're enjoying it! I've honestly never played Raft alone, but it's always a good time playing that game with friends. A buddy of mine is desperately terrified of sharks, even digital ones, and playing that game with him is always a blast. His reactions to the shark contain some of the most flowery and vulgar language I've ever heard :laugh:

Totally off-topic and not strictly directed at you, but has anyone here played GreedFall? I'm looking at picking it up during the sale but I don't know anyone in real life who has played it.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I haven't played Greedfall myself but I heard while the combat is a bit wonky, the story's really good and there's a lot of choice involved. I have it on my wishlist but I'm in no rush to play it any time soon. If it ever goes on sale for real cheap, I'll probably pick it up but there's so many games coming out soon that I want to play that I don't want to just buy this and have it sit in my backlog for another year or two.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I haven't played Greedfall myself but I heard while the combat is a bit wonky, the story's really good and there's a lot of choice involved. I have it on my wishlist but I'm in no rush to play it any time soon. If it ever goes on sale for real cheap, I'll probably pick it up but there's so many games coming out soon that I want to play that I don't want to just buy this and have it sit in my backlog for another year or two.
Good to know! There are a ton of really good games on sale that I want to pick up, so I'll probably do like you and wait until it's on sale with a greater discount before picking it up. Your point about it having a really good story is especially tough for me to look past, though. I haven't played a game with a really good story in far too long.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just realized Death Stranding is out on PC tomorrow. I hope they add some extra PC features like they did Phantom Pain, where consoles were actually closer to PC on low.

Edit: nevermind, lol. It must have got delayed or I read wrong, it's July 14.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I picked up Raft. That's about it. I've reached the point in my gaming career where I've finally convinced myself to stop buying stuff constantly because the likelihood I'll ever even play it much less finish it is pretty low at this point.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
funny-gaming-memes-1-e1593704864185.jpg

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Personally I'm finding my 'unplayed' backlog is starting to be overtaking by my 'need to finish' backlog. From what I have installed on my PC over the last few years:

Dark Souls - at Seeth the Scaleless(?) and need to wrap that up now that I have 2 and 3 in my library
Pillars of Eternity - at start of last chapter I think
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter - a complimentary optional game to the series, didn't have this problem with the other games but I stalled near the end here
The Vagrant - game is just okay, died first attempt at last boss and haven't gone back
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - final 1/4 of game, died against a tough boss so went back to grind a little and have yet to come back
Dragon Quest XI - I think last dungeon in epilogue. Game was great but epilogue started dragging
The Witcher 3 - maybe 1/3rd of the way into Blood & Wine
Rome 2: Total War - playing my first game as the German's got a good chunk of Central Europe conquered and was just approaching Rome
Hollow Knight - I did 'accidentally' beat the final boss, then resumed playing to 100% it. Just have the circus boss (was going to take the easy route) and the proper final boss left
Pathfinder Kingmaker - put in 200 hours when the pandemic started, 2nd last chapter (I think) just starting but got worn out with the 'kingdom management' then got into Darkest Dungeon

Currently playing:
Darkest Dungeon - I'm tempted to buy Slay the Spire but really need to stay disciplined and wrap this up first
Supraland - pretty much in the last level so should be able to finish this
Dark Souls 2 - just starting a new game, planning to play a little to re-orientate with series then get back to 1.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Personally I'm finding my 'unplayed' backlog is starting to be overtaking by my 'need to finish' backlog. From what I have installed on my PC over the last few years:

Dark Souls - at Seeth the Scaleless(?) and need to wrap that up now that I have 2 and 3 in my library
Pillars of Eternity - at start of last chapter I think
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter - a complimentary optional game to the series, didn't have this problem with the other games but I stalled near the end here
The Vagrant - game is just okay, died first attempt at last boss and haven't gone back
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - final 1/4 of game, died against a tough boss so went back to grind a little and have yet to come back
Dragon Quest XI - I think last dungeon in epilogue. Game was great but epilogue started dragging
The Witcher 3 - maybe 1/3rd of the way into Blood & Wine
Rome 2: Total War - playing my first game as the German's got a good chunk of Central Europe conquered and was just approaching Rome
Hollow Knight - I did 'accidentally' beat the final boss, then resumed playing to 100% it. Just have the circus boss (was going to take the easy route) and the proper final boss left
Pathfinder Kingmaker - put in 200 hours when the pandemic started, 2nd last chapter (I think) just starting but got worn out with the 'kingdom management' then got into Darkest Dungeon

Currently playing:
Darkest Dungeon - I'm tempted to buy Slay the Spire but really need to stay disciplined and wrap this up first
Supraland - pretty much in the last level so should be able to finish this
Dark Souls 2 - just starting a new game, planning to play a little to re-orientate with series then get back to 1.

Slay the Spire is fantastic, if that makes it any easier.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Slay the Spire is fantastic, if that makes it any easier.

Yes I'm especially sold with the mods. A game like Darkest Dungeon is great as is, but is even better when I can go nuts thanks to the modding community and now I'm delving a dungeon with a party that include Link, Geralt of Rivia, and Ned Stark. I look at the top workshop results for Slay the Spire and see stuff like Bug Knight and Sailor Moon so yeah I'm down for that!

...really have to complete a game of Darkest Dungeon first though. Was over a year into a game on regular difficulty and probably ready to tackle the final area then started a new game on hard adding tons of new characters.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just realized Death Stranding is out on PC tomorrow. I hope they add some extra PC features like they did Phantom Pain, where consoles were actually closer to PC on low.

Edit: nevermind, lol. It must have got delayed or I read wrong, it's July 14.

This will be PC game of the year. Such a revolutionary game across the board.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I've bought;

Poly Bridge
Prey
Clustetruck (was apart of the beta testing, this game is loads of fun)
Pummel Party

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I ended up also picking up:

Yes, Your Grace
West of Loathing
Biped

I only started playing Yes, Your Grace but it's awesome so far. It feels a lot like Papers, Please except you play a king instead of a border patrol officer.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So far I bought:

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - Refunded because the controls are really bad. The angle you hold everything feels so off that I couldn't get into it.

Deep Rock Galactic - Refunded because everything is so damn dark. I get it's a mining game but you can't even see teammates because there's no UI for them. Every single time I turned around near my teammate, I lost him just a couple seconds later.

Raft - I haven't even played it yet but hopefully third game's the charm! lol

Bought Deep Rock Galactic today to play with some buddies. Really enjoying it. Have to be careful about not getting too split up, but lots of games are like that and you really want to be operating and coordinating objectives as a team. Definitely have to use the map and communicate constantly.

One thing that was very impressive was the procedural mission RNG. We did the same mission three times in a row on a harder difficulty, failing on the first two before finally succeeding. Every run felt different from each other and not repetitive in the environment to traverse and defending against each swarm or some of the random mobs.

At least in my brief experience the swarms become exponentially more difficult with more players. I.e. running a 2 player team on challenging wasn’t too hard, but running the same mission with 3 players was much more difficult and more important you were all coordinating together for the swarms.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Couldn't help but double dip on this sale:

Killer Instinct-awesome fighting game
Raiden 4 overkill - bullet hell perfection. Even more special if you can turn your monitor sideways
Nex Machina- Modern classic arcade style game- pure adrenaline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->