Steam #16 - Summer Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
haven't tried it myself.

someone on neogaf up'd this video tho (which i haven't watched yet) ...

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I just bought and played it. It's currently $6 something Canadian... it's obviously no AAA title, but it's not a bad little game, and I'd say it's worth it at that price.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Beat all the bosses in dark souls 3, didn't concern myself with all the obscure sidestories and stayed away from the guides. I enjoyed it a lot, though I did make use of co op in the later game, particularly with nameless king.

Which by the way you most likely will need a guide to find nameless kings area, Soulsborne games usually have at least one area you're not getting to without a guide and hes one of them.

Regardless it was a very good game, got a good 30 hours out of it more or less doing everything.

I wonder how many players figured out how to get to the Archdragon Peak without looking it up first. Talk about obscure.

I could not beat the Nameless King no matter how many times I tried on my first tour of duty, but I found the secret for my second playthrough: fully upgraded Irithyll Straight Sword. It swings fast enough to allow multiple hits to get in on counters, and its frost effect provides extra damage every four-six swings to make up for lost power. Beat his ass pretty cleanly on my second go with it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I wonder how many players figured out how to get to the Archdragon Peak without looking it up first. Talk about obscure.

I could not beat the Nameless King no matter how many times I tried on my first tour of duty, but I found the secret for my second playthrough: fully upgraded Irithyll Straight Sword. It swings fast enough to allow multiple hits to get in on counters, and its frost effect provides extra damage every four-six swings to make up for lost power. Beat his ass pretty cleanly on my second go with it.

Yeah I didn't have an insanely hard time with the game. I did use coop roughly the last 3rd of the game with soul of cinder, nameless king, prince lothric, dragonslayer armer, and wyvern. I think I could have beat a few of those without it (especially wyvern) but I just wanted to get it over with and I got a new type of enjoyment playing with others. It was easier, but it was also fun. It helps hide weaknesses in your build. I put all my skill points into Vigor, endurance strength and dex, and none in vitality so some boss attacks could take almost all my health. I could do a lot of damage and my fully upgraded estus let me get back in the fight quickly but I just had no defense.

Champion Gundr was when I felt like the game was kind of steering you toward coop because he could actually kill my character in one attack without it being possible to roll out it.

Also I was a big fan of the long sword and knight set, I have no idea how players can play 5 seconds with the massive weapons and the fat roll when you can't cancel animations. Pretty much used the knight set and long sword for 90% of the game.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I just bought and played it. It's currently $6 something Canadian... it's obviously no AAA title, but it's not a bad little game, and I'd say it's worth it at that price.
It's pretty fun for a simple game to play from the couch. I bought Old Time Hockey too when it came out and I'll probably buy any other hockey game that comes out on Steam, maybe doing a small part to tell developers there's a market for hockey on the PC. Even if EA has all the NHL right tied up and wasting away in limbo, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to import mod rosters into a decently made hockey game.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I think if you played the first or second you would know at the very least you have to do something at the location in question. Why else would there be a statue doing the pose and a specificly designed area if not for some kind of unlock?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think if you played the first or second you would know at the very least you have to do something at the location in question. Why else would there be a statue doing the ptose and a specificly designed area if not for some kind of unlock?
Most of those are incredibly easy to miss too though so you still need a guide even if youve got experience. I didn't even know the painted world wasn't dlc until recently because I missed it completely. And Bloodborne I didn't even know about Cainhurst until NG+ when I looked online to see if there was any bosses I hadn't yet fought.

To stay on the topic, that statue was still too cryptic in my opinion. Theres nothing in the world telling you the specific location you need to do it. All you see is a cryptic note (I believe its not even a dev message) saying "not here". Plus the statues arms and legs are broken off and its facing away in a location with no other dragon enemies so you might not even have recognized it as a dragon.

Definitely not the best aspect of souls game design imo.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I got Super Blood Hockey. It's pretty fun and plays a lot like Ice Hockey for NES. If you are not a fan of that gameplay, this is not a game for you. Regardless if you're on the fence, the games are pretty short so you can just play a few and refund it if you don't like it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Most of those are incredibly easy to miss too though so you still need a guide even if youve got experience. I didn't even know the painted world wasn't dlc until recently because I missed it completely. And Bloodborne I didn't even know about Cainhurst until NG+ when I looked online to see if there was any bosses I hadn't yet fought.

To stay on the topic, that statue was still too cryptic in my opinion. Theres nothing in the world telling you the specific location you need to do it. All you see is a cryptic note (I believe its not even a dev message) saying "not here". Plus the statues arms and legs are broken off and its facing away in a location with no other dragon enemies so you might not even have recognized it as a dragon.

Definitely not the best aspect of souls game design imo.

Yeah I kind of got burnt out near the finish line of the first game, playing Dark Souls for the first time this year. Due to my play style these types of games put me on a very difficult balancing act I need to maintain. I'm only going to play a game once, so I'd prefer to see if not everything at least as much as possible on my play through. But if I go too deep into reading FAQ's and guides, my interest in the game can suddenly plummet.

...But I don't know if I'd really call that bad game design, it's just not a game design intended for me. The core game design is solid, but then they're choosing to cater to the new game+ crowd. That's not me so it doesn't quite fit.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I bought Old Time Hockey too when it came out and I'll probably buy any other hockey game that comes out on Steam, maybe doing a small part to tell developers there's a market for hockey on the PC.

How is that one?

I got Super Blood Hockey. It's pretty fun and plays a lot like Ice Hockey for NES. If you are not a fan of that gameplay, this is not a game for you. Regardless if you're on the fence, the games are pretty short so you can just play a few and refund it if you don't like it.

I started out a tournament, and was doing great... I thrashed the Russians 7-4. But then I went on to face the Finns... their players were 1 playmaker, and 3 enforcers. I led most of the game, but damn it was hard getting the puck into good shooting lanes with their 3 big fatties knocking down anything around them... and it was pretty hard defending my own net for the same reason :laugh: Unfortunately, they ended up winning.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I haven't played it since it first came out so it might have gotten better but it was too slow and stiff to play for more than a game or two.
Just tried it again and they've addressed those issues. It's actually a pretty good game now. There are no one-timers (yet), and the passing is a little awkward but if they address those two things and made it a "Baseball Stars" kind of upgrade system I'd fully recommend it.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think if you played the first or second you would know at the very least you have to do something at the location in question. Why else would there be a statue doing the pose and a specificly designed area if not for some kind of unlock?

Perhaps, but even then, there's enough separation between running into that moment and obtaining the proper stance, so I understand on the second playthrough since players already have the stance and go "hey, why not try this...."

Plus, they needed a small walkway to get the player to a ramp that goes upwards, so it wasn't super obvious to me.

And yeah, co-op is fun no doubt.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Just tried it again and they've addressed those issues. It's actually a pretty good game now. There are no one-timers (yet), and the passing is a little awkward but if they address those two things and made it a "Baseball Stars" kind of upgrade system I'd fully recommend it.

Thanks for the update. I might have to check it out again.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Final Fantasy XV officially coming to PC.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/637650/FINAL_FANTASY_XV_WINDOWS_EDITION/

But this... 170GB of HDD space... Jesus **** no...

DHv8TuPUwAMs6ss

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I have the space on my SSD but it's still ridiculous.

why? the game has native 4k textures. those files are huge. Rainbow Six's HD Texture pack is an extra 46GB download and thats multiplayer only. not surprised at all

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
its 2017, surely we all have several terabytes of HDD space now lol

the only thing that bothers me is it wont fit on my SSD but whatever

We do, and that's still way too much. Just make the 4k assets and Japanese audio free dlc and save at least 50 GB of storage. It's a pretty simple solution.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
We do, and that's still way too much. Just make the 4k assets and Japanese audio free dlc and save at least 50 GB of storage. It's a pretty simple solution.

well, I do agree that anything that can be made optional download, should be

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
why? the game has native 4k textures. those files are huge. Rainbow Six's HD Texture pack is an extra 46GB download and thats multiplayer only. not surprised at all
Yeah and that stuff should be optional.4k gaming isn't mainstream and won't be for a long time.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Yeah and that stuff should be optional.4k gaming isn't mainstream and won't be for a long time.

im talking about 4k texture files not 4k resolution....

should still be optional, but they arent the same thing. 4k texture assets will benefit you whatever resolution you play at

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
im talking about 4k texture files not 4k resolution....

should still be optional, but they arent the same thing. 4k texture assets will benefit you whatever resolution you play at

True, but rendering 4K textures brings all but the high end graphics cards to their knees. Most people that purchased a graphics card for a 1080p gaming setup aren't going to be capable of that level of supersampling.

For people using an overkill GPU or those elite few that possess a powerful GPU and a 4K display, it's a nice feature. If its not an optional download, I expect you'll have a lot of people with used up storage capacity for absolutely no reason.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Does 4k texture pack mean the textures are actually 4k? I don't think so, I think it's just a misnomer which means higher quality textures. Kind of like how textures might be more clear at 1080 that 720, but the textures are not all literally 1920x1080.

It's still incredibly wasteful at lower resolutions and isn't gonna run on any reasonable amount of VRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad