Steam #16 - Summer Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Oh - I don't understand. How would someone do that with game keys?

Like RandV, I really don't know - but there was a user here who had several security alerts triggered immediately after posting keys like that. I definitely don't want to discourage the key sharing here - I think it's one of the great things about the Geek Emporium community - but I don't want anyone to put their security at risk either.

Lady Santa

of Wonderland
Feb 4, 2016
Montreal
Oh, and I reached 4000 today! ^_^
I've been collecting for 14 months now (June '16), when I wanted to get to 500 - things kind of went out of control.

So I now use a fitting badge >.>

pYTs3LU.jpg

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
You definitely have me beat, I'm sitting at 446, and have probably played less than 50 of them.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Decided to be "charitable" this month and pick up the humble bundle for Verdun and Flame in the Flood.

If anyone wants:

Infested Planet

...throw a PM my way I guess!

EDIT: Only Infested Planet left!

Last edited:

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Oh - I don't understand. How would someone do that with game keys?

It was me whos account was trying to be hacked. Not sure what they were trying to do, but within a day or 2 of putting up a lot of keys (some used some not) I was flooded with this message over the next week, probably about 20 times...

Dear Steam user,
This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this CD key.

Steam account name:

If you requested this query, please use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you cannot remember your password, click on the “Retrieve lost accountâ€Â button on the Steam login screen.

If you did not request this query, please ignore this message.

Users cannot gain access to your account via the Find Account By CD Key process without access to your email account.

E-Mail Verification:
http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5151-RUAS-1543

Account Security Recommendations:
http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1266-OAFV-8478

The Steam Team
https://help.steampowered.com

Probably nothing, but not really worth the risk.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Dear Steam user,
This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this CD key.

This reads more like someone is trying to recover your account through a key they gave to you.

The logical way of doing that would be giving a key to you specifically so they know who used it, they would then try to access your email through leaked source info or a trojan.

Someone doing a large key giveaway could also spam steam with requests of those keys. But I don't think they would have any idea who used which key making targeting a specific person harder unless they state they did use one of the keys.

I think the issue is with taking keys that are publicly listed and saying you took that key, which is how they get that request sent.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
This reads more like someone is trying to recover your account through a key they gave to you.

The logical way of doing that would be giving a key to you specifically so they know who used it, they would then try to access your email through leaked source info or a trojan.

Someone doing a large key giveaway could also spam steam with requests of those keys. But I don't think they would have any idea who used which key making targeting a specific person harder unless they state they did use one of the keys.

I think the issue is with taking keys that are publicly listed and saying you took that key, which is how they get that request sent.

Perhaps, I dont know, but the only keys I have ever taken were from a few well known long time posters on this board and that has only been through PM or Steam chat and probably less than 10. I have never taken random public keys from anywhere.

My theory is they find a key, and that key is in use, and then try to prove to Steam/Valve that my account is actually their account because they have the key. I dont know, but I wont be spreading keys around any longer.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
UPLAY and Origin get a lot of crap but Battle.net has to be by far the worst launcher. I've never had issues with origin or uplay, but battle.net literally would not update overwatch (said it was waiting for another update to finish when there was none). Apparently this is a consistent problem as there are countless threads about this on blizzards forums. Actual blizzard support people just tell you to uninstall the launcher and reinstall.

Which does fix the problem but come on.

Add to that battle.net is known for causing huge fps drops on some pcs when running in the background and I cant understand why it doesn't get more crap.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
UPLAY and Origin get a lot of crap but Battle.net has to be by far the worst launcher. I've never had issues with origin or uplay, but battle.net literally would not update overwatch (said it was waiting for another update to finish when there was none). Apparently this is a consistent problem as there are countless threads about this on blizzards forums. Actual blizzard support people just tell you to uninstall the launcher and reinstall.

Which does fix the problem but come on.

Add to that battle.net is known for causing huge fps drops on some pcs when running in the background and I cant understand why it doesn't get more crap.

There's a button beside the progress bar that allows you to prioritize that download and skip the bugged update.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Anyone know any good places right now to get GTA V for less than full price, that's still a legit site?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I should have an extra Steam key for:

Lakeview Cabin Collection
Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location

PM me if you're interested

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
WW2 Online was released on Steam last Friday after first being released in 2001.

Roommate and I have been playing it quite a bit and it's pretty fun honestly.

You can play for free but it is an MMO so there will be a monthly fee IF you want more weapons and vehicles to use.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Ive been meaning to say this but I never got around to it.

If you have a physical PC game you can put the key into steam and it works just like a digitally purchased key. Tried it with Supreme Commander and I even got the Forged Alliance expansion which I don't even own. Pretty cool.

Its funny because when I bought this game it barely ran on my pc.

Which by the way, to me thats why rts kind of went downhill for a long period of time. They started making command and conquer and total annihalation in 3d engines and (especially in the case of supreme commander) extremely hardware intensive. Then we see the rise of Dota and LOL out of that genre which even a potato can run. Thats what makes PC gaming great imo, not this master race nonsense. Back then it was even more accessible than console gaming. Its no coincidence rts became less popular as the system requirements went up.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Ive been meaning to say this but I never got around to it.

If you have a physical PC game you can put the key into steam and it works just like a digitally purchased key. Tried it with Supreme Commander and I even got the Forged Alliance expansion which I don't even own. Pretty cool.

Its funny because when I bought this game it barely ran on my pc.

Which by the way, to me thats why rts kind of went downhill for a long period of time. They started making command and conquer and total annihalation in 3d engines and (especially in the case of supreme commander) extremely hardware intensive. Then we see the rise of Dota and LOL out of that genre which even a potato can run. Thats what makes PC gaming great imo, not this master race nonsense. Back then it was even more accessible than console gaming. Its no coincidence rts became less popular as the system requirements went up.

I actually think, in a way, the array of widely varying games is what makes PC gaming special. Games like Supreme Commander are niche for their grand scale that by necessity requires a lot of CPU power to run. PC has such a vast library of games, and they have so much versatility in terms of budget. Aside from the huge memory leak problem, Forged Alliance was fantastic.

What truly killed RTS IMO is the lack of adaptability and yes the casual strategy games pushing them out of the picture (although they started to die before that), although I also think there is a certain amount of industry bias against them. There's a ton of gamers out there searching for another good RTS, but they just don't make em like they used to. Personally, I've really enjoyed the indie game Sins of a Solar Empire and sunk hundreds of hours into it. Blizzard is still making great ones in Starcraft 2.....but I'd kill for another RTS Warcraft. :laugh:

While I do see your point, I think the biggest blow to PC gaming in recent memory was the mainstream switch to phones, laptops and tablets as the primary way to experience personal computing. It's pretty easy and cheap to upgrade your already existing desktop PC with a graphics card for some light to moderate gaming, but not so easy on the devices most people have nowadays.

That said, PC gaming is still alive and well and easily the best way to experience the majority of games IMO.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I figured I'd need something easy and relaxing to play while traveling through Thailand, Vietnam etc for the next six months or so. Bought Stardew Valley. Hooked! Gotta find a shop to buy a mouse, though. Didn't bring one.

Lady Santa

of Wonderland
Feb 4, 2016
Montreal
I figured I'd need something easy and relaxing to play while traveling through Thailand, Vietnam etc for the next six months or so. Bought Stardew Valley. Hooked!

Awesomeee pick! :heart: That's a good 80 hours of bliss right there. Probably more, but I have a short attention span.

How'd you get so many games? All bundles or something?

Sales, bundles, dailyindiegame store, giveaways. But the best is coupons.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
More humble leftovers, if anyone is interested:

Zeno Clash 2

Send me a PM!

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
So I've made a serious dent in the ol' backlog lately, in part due to a fair few games in there not being to my taste. Still got about 25 games to try by my count.

So if everyone could just stop releasing games for like half a year, that'd be great. Thanks. :laugh:

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Bought Total Warhammer 2. I was expecting the reviews to be pretty average but they're really good so I was forced to buy it. I'll check it out on the weekend but have sunk more than enough into the first to guess I won't be sending it back.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The original Fallout is free on Steam until the end of the month. You just have to activate it to your account:

Edit - Pretty cool that the new boards posts a link like that to Steam but you'll have to click the original in the bundle that it mistakenly links to. From there, you can activate it to your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad