Steam #16 - Summer Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Why are people so angry about a card game??? I love Hearthstone, Elder Scrolls, Shadowverse, and Ive been meaning to try Gwent.

I don't care either way but I can see the point. Rather than doing something innovative like Portal or getting back to creating a top tier title like Half Life, they're jumping into the crowded market with high payoff for low investment.

If you're waiting for a big dev to come out with a new title, announcing a collectable card game is going to be disappointing.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't care either way but I can see the point. Rather than doing something innovative like Portal or getting back to creating a top tier title like Half Life, they're jumping into the crowded market with high payoff for low investment.

If you're waiting for a big dev to come out with a new title, announcing a collectable card game is going to be disappointing.
Maybe the high payoff is a good way to have spare money to fund these other projects.

I'm much more likely to pick up Artifact packs than Half Life 3, for example.

Disappointing? Sure. End the world like people are making it? **** off lol

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Looks like the industry reports don't know how valve operates

The writers don't even mean much except for portal (and even then they can be replaced) Left 4 dead is all gameplay really. Yes there is a story but most people who buy the games wouldn't believe that. laidlaw leaving doesn't affect half life at all.

Gabe Newell literally said they are going to make games. One in the half life/portal universe. And last year at steam dev days they hinted at more things to come
There's probably about 4 people on Artifact. Probably all 4 of them were hired about 5 years ago to work on "A Triple A project" only to eventually get stuck on some garbage micro transaction vehicle for Valve.

And there's more to writing than just a story. The charm and wit in Portal and L4D all comes from people paid to write it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Maybe the high payoff is a good way to have spare money to fund these other projects.

I'm much more likely to pick up Artifact packs than Half Life 3, for example.

Disappointing? Sure. End the world like people are making it? **** off lol

The payoff part would be perfectly valid for other devs, but this is Valve we're talking about. They've got the biggest "spare money" maker in the industry, miles ahead of everyone else. No it's not the end of the world but Valve has left a lot of fans hanging with Half Life so I can understand fans grumbling when the only game they've announced for years (?) is a yet another micro-transaction based CCG.

Sep 19, 2008
LawBreakers came out a few days ago. Looks pretty good

ss_aa13c92556d88f3de9032adb9e47133a0c670c0f.jpg

Anyone try it yet?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
There's probably about 4 people on Artifact. Probably all 4 of them were hired about 5 years ago to work on "A Triple A project" only to eventually get stuck on some garbage micro transaction vehicle for Valve

That's now how valve works. They don't put people in specific departments

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Why are people so angry about a card game??? I love Hearthstone, Elder Scrolls, Shadowverse, and Ive been meaning to try Gwent.

It's yet another game designed around microtransactions instead of gameplay from a developer capable of making really great games.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It's yet another game designed around microtransactions instead of gameplay from a developer capable of making really great games.
Card games are great games.

Point proven;

Top thread here? Hearth stone
Thread on first page with 0 replies? Hellblade

Hellblade is an AMAZING game with awesome story telling and fantastic themes. Beautiful visually and incredible sound. Yet not one single response.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Point proven;

Hellblade is an AMAZING game with awesome story telling and fantastic themes. Beautiful visually and incredible sound. Yet not one single response.

Arena/open world shooters, MOBA's, and CCG's are the big money makers at the moment. Using the Final Fantasy series as an example, a game that can get a user base of 500,000 (FFXII) to keep funneling money into it year after year will be more lucrative than a one shot single player game that sells close to 10,000,000 (FFX).

The new breed of money makers don't have the same set income, but are cheaper to produce and with the lower entry barrier have far more players.

Sucks for me because I don't really like these games. Personally I'm most excited that there's a new Trails series released on Steam, and Ni No Kuni 2 is getting a port. These don't even get threads on here!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I legitimately never heard of Hellblade till you made the thread.

Sounds like they have a marketing problem.

Looking at the sales chart on Steamspy, they had a HUGE sales spike yesterday. Either some big sites picked it up or word of mouth kicked in. Still only sold around 40k copies though on PC.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Point proven;

Well I'm convinced. Pokemon/CoD = GOAT. :nod:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I legitimately never heard of Hellblade till you made the thread.

Sounds like they have a marketing problem.

Looking at the sales chart on Steamspy, they had a HUGE sales spike yesterday. Either some big sites picked it up or word of mouth kicked in. Still only sold around 40k copies though on PC.
Well Hellblade did just release Tuesday. :P

And got amazing reviews so even more people bought it yesterday.

A team of 13ish people made a AAA game for an indie price. Probably didn't have much left for marketing. It was at E3 this year.

Well I'm convinced. Pokemon/CoD = GOAT. :nod:
Pokemon Go isn't even a game. :P

CoD is fine. I haven't liked it lately but it still sells like hot cakes. And the new one looks good.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Got a choice between For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I'm leaning towards For Honor because I actually liked the game and disliked Wildlands during the beta. However, I've heard For Honors playerbase has died out and Wildlands is thriving (which I honestly am shocked by).

Anyone want to sell me on wildlands or should I just go with For Honor?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Got a choice between For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I'm leaning towards For Honor because I actually liked the game and disliked Wildlands during the beta. However, I've heard For Honors playerbase has died out and Wildlands is thriving (which I honestly am shocked by).

Anyone want to sell me on wildlands or should I just go with For Honor?

I was so excited for For Honor, but if I was choosing today, having played neither personally, I'd try Wildlands.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I own For Honor and ive played Wildlands

Wildlands is an incredibly boring game outside of coop (and not THAT much better in)

For Honor is a good game ruined by very poor decisions and development and a dying playerbase

if I was choosing though, id pick For Honor because it has comeback potential like Rainbow Six Siege had if they can get over themselves and make smart choices like they did with R6

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well, depends on your preference.

Like fairly generic co-operative shooters that are well implemented? Wildlands.

Like well built and thematically awesome competitive fighting games that are poorly implemented? For Honor.

Personally? Neither, honestly.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I recently booted up Dark Souls III again due to curiousity after a lengthy discussion on it, and immediately regretted it.

I'll be honest: I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of Dark Souls....which is totally fine. Not every game has to cater to my likes.

From a technical perspective, Dark Souls III isn't good. The load times are long, the textures are at least 5 years out of date (mitigated a bit by fantastic monster design), and the PvP/Co-op netcode is frankly a mess.

However, the biggest flaw to me is exactly what you mentioned.

I understand that the challenge of the game is paramount to its hardcore players, and I don't mind a challenge every now and again. However, having to run back to the same boss I'm having trouble with makes you repeat the same area of the game over and over. And over. And over.

I find you get really, REALLY sick of playing that same (often quite long) sequence after dying to the boss a few times.

I'm about 25% of the way through dark souls III and it reminded me of another slight issue I have with the game:

The difficulty at the start is purely from how underleveled your weapon and stats are. I don't even grind but purely by leveling up the enemies take huge amounts of damage by the midway point. To me stats in a game like this should be non-existent. Upgrade your weapon and magic and thats it. From what I've seen they've taken armor upgrades out since bloodborne, thats a step in the right direction. I think all stats that are not magic or weapon related should be next to go. Theres zero fun in looking up scaling tables. Who wants to deal with that bunch of BS?

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I'm about 25% of the way through dark souls III and it reminded me of another slight issue I have with the game:

The difficulty at the start is purely from how underleveled your weapon and stats are. I don't even grind but purely by leveling up the enemies take huge amounts of damage by the midway point. To me stats in a game like this should be non-existent. Upgrade your weapon and magic and thats it. From what I've seen they've taken armor upgrades out since bloodborne, thats a step in the right direction. I think all stats that are not magic or weapon related should be next to go. Theres zero fun in looking up scaling tables. Who wants to deal with that bunch of BS?
Agreed.The Corvians enemies on the Road of Sacrifices are terrible with an under leveled weapon but a joke with one that kills them in 2 or 3 hits.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Good lord those irithyl jailers are the definition of artificial difficulty. Glad that levels done.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Beat all the bosses in dark souls 3, didn't concern myself with all the obscure sidestories and stayed away from the guides. I enjoyed it a lot, though I did make use of co op in the later game, particularly with nameless king.

Which by the way you most likely will need a guide to find nameless kings area, Soulsborne games usually have at least one area you're not getting to without a guide and hes one of them.

Regardless it was a very good game, got a good 30 hours out of it more or less doing everything.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
That one's on my wish list... when I get home from work, I might have another look at it. Have you tried playing it already? And if so, what's your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad