Steals of 2016 draft

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
We thought Bellows was a good position:quality pick, but his season has been very weak (just stat-watching+wjc to be honest). I guess at 19 you take guys with major questionmarks, but i was hoping for more.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Jonathen Dahlen. Second round, 42nd overall.

He has 41 points in 43 games in Allsvenskan. He has been a factor in the last 13 goals Timra has scored, scoring 7 goals and contributing 6 assists in that time frame.

He's having a MONSTER season.

jim benning trades for one of the draft steels of 2016. hahahah busted, I doubt anyone would have mentioned it if he was a Canuck.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
jim benning trades for one of the draft steels of 2016. hahahah busted, I doubt anyone would have mentioned it if he was a Canuck.

I mean wouldn't that be because of the Canuck fan base? Most teams pay attention to their own prospects after the draft.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Came for some nice info here but turns out half of the draft are steals. Must be better than 2003

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

cv5JuNs.gif

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Not always is it a top 5 pick that is the steal of the draft but Puljujarvi falling to the Oilers was a big steal in a lot of ways.

He's likely the #1 prospect on any NHL team right now IMHO.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
What range do you mean? Sam Steel was in the range of the original pick.

To be fair I don't think a single poster on the jets board talked about picking Sam Steel. I could be wrong? Only smaller guy I was looking at was DeBrincat. He's still going strong.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
O
bviously many dynamics have changed in 18 years since that timeline, but I just don't think it's right to call Juolevi and Dubois "potential busts", especially after only 5 months of post drafts hockey.

I didn't say they ARE busts. It is obviously too early for that kind of declaration. To say they might be potential busts is fair commentary. Especially since some people have commented that their play has been underwhelming this year. I hope they prove their detractors wrong. Especially Ollie Juolevi,since I'm a Canuck fan.

One thing I'm sure most of us can agree on is that these two guys are not steals in this draft.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Meh I think Linus Lindstrom would have just as good if not better numbers if he were down in allsvenkensan instead of in the SHL.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A lot of potential steals, really tough to say who will be a steal 1 year after draft. I mostly go off what their stats are in draft +1 compared to other guys drafted in that range from that year and previous years. Also comparing to their stats from last year to see the improvement. I dont really buy a player is a steal if they posted monster numbers in draft year then same ones in draft +1, they were likely picked lower due to certain flaws. I consider a potential steal to be a player who drastically improved stats in draft +1 AND is posting better numbers than guys in his range

1 potential "steal" for the Oilers is Dylan Wells in 5th round. I HATED this pick because his junior numbers were horrible. 0.871 in draft year is garbage. But the report on him was he had pro style and pro tools. Now in his draft +1 he is posting a 0.919 sv% in the OHL, good for 3rd in the league amongst regular goalies. 29-13-2 to boot (9-13-3 last year)

Besides Carter Hart (drafted in 2nd round) its tough to find a better goalie that draft. Some other solid picks but none outright more impressive

I do also think Puljujarvi is going to be looked at as a massive steal in a few years even tho he slipped just 1 spot. I think hes going to turn into a franchise/elite winger that come around a few times a draft and that pass up will look very costly

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
A lot of potential steals, really tough to say who will be a steal 1 year after draft. I mostly go off what their stats are in draft +1 compared to other guys drafted in that range from that year and previous years. Also comparing to their stats from last year to see the improvement. I dont really buy a player is a steal if they posted monster numbers in draft year then same ones in draft +1, they were likely picked lower due to certain flaws. I consider a potential steal to be a player who drastically improved stats in draft +1 AND is posting better numbers than guys in his range

1 potential "steal" for the Oilers is Dylan Wells in 5th round. I HATED this pick because his junior numbers were horrible. 0.871 in draft year is garbage. But the report on him was he had pro style and pro tools. Now in his draft +1 he is posting a 0.919 sv% in the OHL, good for 3rd in the league amongst regular goalies. 29-13-2 to boot (9-13-3 last year)

Besides Carter Hart (drafted in 2nd round) its tough to find a better goalie that draft. Some other solid picks but none outright more impressive

I do also think Puljujarvi is going to be looked at as a massive steal in a few years even tho he slipped just 1 spot. I think hes going to turn into a franchise/elite winger that come around a few times a draft and that pass up will look very costly

Umm... have you no idea who Tyler Parsons is?

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
People mention Dahlen and Grundstrom but isn't Rasmus Asplund just as successful? No one mentions him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad