Steals of 2016 draft

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Jonathen Dahlen. Second round, 42nd overall.

He has 41 points in 43 games in Allsvenskan. He has been a factor in the last 13 goals Timra has scored, scoring 7 goals and contributing 6 assists in that time frame.

He's having a MONSTER season.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Round 1: Matthew Tkachuk, Jakob Chychrun, Sam Steel
Round 2: Jonathan Dahlen, Kale Clague, Filip Hronek, Carl Grundstrom, Taylor Raddysh
Round 3: Cliff Pu, Joey Anderson, Frederic Allard
Round 4: Victor Mete, Jacob Moverare
Round 5: Mathias From
Round 6: Aapeli Rasanen
Round 7: Dmitri Sokolov, David Quenneville, David Bernhardt

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Matthew Phillips in the 6th round for Calgary could be a potential steal, especially at that draft spot.

A lot of people are looking at stats when they're calling out names of players I think but Phillips is a real skilled dude. Very shifty skater and quick, deceptive hands. He's a hard worker and for a 5'6 kid, he does play physical and isn't afraid of anyone. Great head on his shoulders too.

I think the only thing that will hold him back from an NHL career is his size as he is quite light as well.

Sportsnet broadcasted the Vancouver vs Victoria game friday night and damn, this kid has a solid pair of hands. The puck seems to be glued to his stick whether he's battling on the board (he does that), or simply enteringthe zone looking for the best option available, be it a shot or a pass.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Sam Steel seems like he could be a very good player. Dahlen from Ottawa should be good too.

Rustcohle

Feb 25, 2017
Feel like Chicago might have a steal with Debrincat at 39th OA.

Last edited:

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I have been a bit timid about Ollie. I watch all the Knights games on TV but have only seen him live twice this year. He has not lived up to my expectations as the first overall Dman chosen. I think he was chosen for his all round play as opposed to any one outstanding attribute but still a year older and more experienced I thought he would really raise his game on a very good team-if not as good as last year.

Way too early to tell with defence. Though that pick was a head scratcher at the time and he's done nothing to prove it otherwise since.

Looks like Arizona did very well with cychie and Tampa with Raddysh.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well at this point, anyone on my team that is not a disappointment is a steal ;)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Victor Mete (100th pick) is looking like an absolute steal for the habs, the whole board couldn't be happier with how he's turning out.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
From the Ducks, Steel is obviously having a monster season, but I think Josh Mahura was a great pick in the 3rd round as well. Top 10 in WHL scoring among dmen and can play in all situations. He was crushing it for Red Deer to begin the season, with 33 points in 39 games, and is now up to 47 in 61. Got traded to the Pats midseason, so here's hoping him and Steel can go on a big mem cup run. I like Alex Dostie and Tyler Soy a lot too, the early returns from the Ducks draft seem promising.

Dahlen and Rykov are also great picks. I liked Dahlen a lot last year and had him pegged as a first rounder, but I didn't know Rykov at all until the WJCs\. I think he had a better tournament than Sergachev did. Great pick for the Devils.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I a vacuum it looks good for a late second.

That pick is soured by the next player drafted, Taylor Raddysh.

How exactly? They are both good prospects but I don't see any reason to think Raddysh is in some other tier from Grundstrom especially with the way he skates.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Really good value picks for me are

1-16 Jakob Chychrun
1-27 Brett Howden
1-30 Sam Steel
2-51 Kale Clague
2-58 Taylor Raddysh
3-74 Hudson Elynuik
3-78 Frederic Allard
3-85 Josh Mahura
3-88 Connor Ingram
4-119 Tanner Kaspick
5-133 Max Lajoie
6-171 Gabriel Fontaine
7-185 Calvin Thurkauf
7-196 Dmitri Sokolov

Gundstrom and Dahlen are nice 2nd round picks as well.

You've got Lajoie. Just interested if you have seen him this year or have a scouting report on him.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Sportsnet broadcasted the Vancouver vs Victoria game friday night and damn, this kid has a solid pair of hands. The puck seems to be glued to his stick whether he's battling on the board (he does that), or simply enteringthe zone looking for the best option available, be it a shot or a pass.

I was at the game, he was flying out there. That being said, it may have had something to do with the Giants penalty killing... I have never seen a shorthanded team so passive in my life.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The a Flyers 6th and 7th round picks both made the WJC.

6th Laczynski
7th Bernhardt

And their 5th rounder Hogberg is a full time SHL Dman and is 18 until Sept.

Great value picks late in the draft for Philly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad