Steals of 2016 draft

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Olli Juolevi , Pierre-Luc Dubois, Tyson Jost, mattew Tkatchuk

Olli Juolevi and Pierre-Luc Dubois are potential BUSTS. At this point, they are the polar opposite to a steal.

Besides, you can't really have a "steal"in the top 5 or 10 in the draft because of the high expectations of any top 5 to 10 draft pick. A steal can only be from the mid first round and beyond.

Last edited:

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Olli Juolevi and Pierre-Luc Dubois are potential BUSTS. At this point, they are the polar opposite to a steal. At least at this point.

Besides, you can't really have a "steal"in the top 5 or 10 in the draft because of the high expectations of any top 5 to 10 draft pick. A steal can only be from the mid first round and beyond.

This is exactly what's wrong with people's mindsets on prospects.

The two aforementioned top 5 picks are potential busts, while anyone else drafted out of the first round that doesn't have expectations since being drafted 8 months ago is a potential top 6/top pair NHL player, which very wrong to think so.

~From 1990 to 1999, there were 2600 draftees that had their name called out.

~As of 2007, 494 of them had played in 200 NHL games, a draft success rate of 19%.

~Of the 494 players, 160 were drafted in the first round. More than half of those players competed in over 500 NHL games. First rounder have ~63% of making the NHL.

~Approximately 25% of second rounders make it to the NHL.

~Approximately 12% of players drafted in that decade outside of the second round made the NHL on a regular basis.

Obviously many dynamics have changed in 18 years since that timeline, but I just don't think it's right to call Juolevi and Dubois "potential busts", especially after only 5 months of post drafts hockey.

Last edited:

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
None of the leafs picks were steals. Maybe we can re-evaluate next year, but right now it's not a great draft, except Matthews of course.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Cliff Pu in the 3rd round would be my pick. He's really stepped up and taken the reigns with Marner, Tkachuk, and Dvorak all gone. Falkovsky could be a really nice pick, and I liked Clague in the 2nd round.

For the Ducks, Josh Mahura and Sam Steel have both far outdone expectations this year. Mahura was almost PPG for most of the year and still is top-10 in D scoring while being a solid minutes eater. His production has dropped a bit with him being moved to Regina and their offensively stacked blue-line, but he's still been great this year after missing most of last year to injury. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses. And Sam Steel, obviously, is a steal. Haha, original joke, yeah yeah. But he's been great as well, not to understate anything. (speaking of that, I did like the Adam Brooks pick as well) Don't know much about Tyler Soy, but he could be something. He's producing pretty respectably for Victoria right now, though this is technically his draft+2 year. (he was a 2015 eligible)

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Some of the claims made in this thread are hilarious.

As for steals it's to early to call, but I like Hronek, Grundstrom, Mete, Pu, From, Thurkauf and Ronning.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think Adam Mascherin and Sam Steel (with that name, how can he not?) will likely look like steals.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I like Hronek as a sleeper. Wings are doing exactly what I wanted the Leafs to do if they took him.

Obviously, I have hopes that J.D. Greenway or Grundstrom can be steals but I only like Grundstrom at the moment for this.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Victor Mete (100th pick) is looking like an absolute steal for the habs, the whole board couldn't be happier with how he's turning out.

As you guys should be. He's the Knights best player, by a considerable margin, in my opinion.

If his size isn't an impediment transitioning to pro play, then the Habs have a really good player on their hands.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Olli Juolevi and Pierre-Luc Dubois are potential BUSTS. At this point, they are the polar opposite to a steal.

Agree, sure you can be a steal at 5-10 but then you basically have to outperform everyone drafted before you, for example Hampus Lindholm is a borderline steal. He was picked at #6 as the third defenseman in the draft. But he is definitely better than Murray, Reinhart and Yakupov that was picked higher. But arguably not Galchenyuk and Rielly.

So the poster simply thinks Dubois or Juolevi is looking like a better player than Matthews, Laine and Puljujärvi :handclap:

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
I like what I've seen from him, but how is From a steal? I mean... he's been listed twice in this thread already, but in 28 SHL games, he's got 3 pts and -9. For a December born player, that seems awfully low, even in a men's league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad