Steals of 2016 draft

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sokolov in the 7th round . Now second in goal scoring in OHL(42g). Hard to say what he'll end up being, but goal scoring is one of those things you can't teach.

Pu in the 3Rd round. Seems to have put on weight. Already had the height and speed, and now is scoring. He'll be a really useful bottom sixer at the least.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Juolevi and Dubois are most certainly not steals. Both have been underwhelming.

From Buffalo, we like Cliff Pu and Casey Fitzgerald a lot.

I recently had the opportunity to watch a few knights games as I have been watching my cousin on the team. It was amazing watching Ollie control the pace of the game. He made very few if any mistakes. Made crisp accurate passes in stride and really drove the offense. He put up numbers in all the games. Talking to some staff, players and player parents they all agreed he was as smart as they come and smooth as butter. His shot could use work buy it should improve with weight and strength. My cousin says off the ice Ollie is a real quite well mannered kid who really likes Canadian culture. I was very impressed. Other players that stood out were; mete (montreal) and crawley (un drafted 19 year old). Also rasannen on kingston skates like a newborn deer.

Posted 4 days ago posted on Canucks.com from a member. Pld is also ripping it up ever since getting traded but I agree, that those guys are drafted to high to be steals even if they do well.

Willliam,Lockwood, another prospect Craig button and Pierre McGuire are raving about,(these 2 guys have been raving about the same Canuck prospects non stop. Button thinks he should be drafted much higher.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
None of these players are steals. Everyone is just naming a prospect on their team that was drafted beyond the first round.
Arguably the top Russian defensmen at the WJC the last two years. Mainstay on the top KHL team blueline (essentially an allstar team). Rykov is a steal. Even if I compare him to 2015 draft picks the only ones I would take over him are Hannifin, Provorov, Werenski, Carlo and Chabot.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Patrick Harper is a good shout.

PLD, Juolevi and Tkachuk are terrible shouts.

A steal of a pick is someone whom, in hindsight, you would have taken over the majority, or at least many, of the players drafted ahead of him. Thus the higher the player was drafted, the more unlikely it is for him to be a steal of a pick. PLD went 3rd overall after Matthews and Laine. Like, come on.

DeBrincat was a steal on draft day and is a steal now. Abramov likewise.

As a Flames fan, I think a few of our picks are outperforming their draft position quite substantially, namely Fox, Falkovsky and Phillips, but we'll see.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Do I detect sarcasm? Who knows, it might end up being a steal. The other guys we were looking at in that range have done nothing.

What range do you mean? Sam Steel was in the range of the original pick.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Filip Hronek. He was the best defenceman and arguably the best player on the Czech WJC squad this year, and has a PPG on a mediocre OHL team. Looks like the best Czech defensive prospect in a very, very long time.

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What range do you mean? Sam Steel was in the range of the original pick.

Ya, I was referring to Dmen. There certainly were some good F there. My BPA was Rubtsov and he's been great since coming to the Q. Steel would have been a great pick there too...in retrospect.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Really good value picks for me are

1-16 Jakob Chychrun
1-27 Brett Howden
1-30 Sam Steel
2-51 Kale Clague
2-58 Taylor Raddysh
3-74 Hudson Elynuik
3-78 Frederic Allard
3-85 Josh Mahura
3-88 Connor Ingram
4-119 Tanner Kaspick
5-133 Max Lajoie
6-171 Gabriel Fontaine
7-185 Calvin Thurkauf
7-196 Dmitri Sokolov

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Posted 4 days ago posted on Canucks.com from a member. Pld is also ripping it up ever since getting traded but I agree, that those guys are drafted to high to be steals even if they do well.

Willliam,Lockwood, another prospect Craig button and Pierre McGuire are raving about,(these 2 guys have been raving about the same Canuck prospects non stop. Button thinks he should be drafted much higher.

Juolevi has been not performing well this year at all. He looked good for a short period after the WJC, but he's been poor lately again.

Go to the Knights board and ask other London fans if you still question it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How could I forget about Chychrun? Rykov looked better to me than Sergachev in limited views.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Juolevi has been not performing well this year at all. He looked good for a short period after the WJC, but he's been poor lately again.

Go to the Knights board and ask other London fans if you still question it.

I have been a bit timid about Ollie. I watch all the Knights games on TV but have only seen him live twice this year. He has not lived up to my expectations as the first overall Dman chosen. I think he was chosen for his all round play as opposed to any one outstanding attribute but still a year older and more experienced I thought he would really raise his game on a very good team-if not as good as last year.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Matthew Phillips in the 6th round for Calgary could be a potential steal, especially at that draft spot.

A lot of people are looking at stats when they're calling out names of players I think but Phillips is a real skilled dude. Very shifty skater and quick, deceptive hands. He's a hard worker and for a 5'6 kid, he does play physical and isn't afraid of anyone. Great head on his shoulders too.

I think the only thing that will hold him back from an NHL career is his size as he is quite light as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad