Management State of the Bruins -Sweeney 5/18/22, Neely 5/19/22

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
They aren’t suddenly going to improve by downgrading from Bergeron.

If they replace him with one the UFA C’s Boston will have one of the worst C groups in the East and the roster can’t deal with a single major injury

They were a WC team, is that the set of expectations today?

There are 3 clearly better teams in the Atlantic and 4 rebuilding teams, Detroit& Buffalo will start to make a push soon, yes even I have to admit Buffalo will soon end their misery with Dahlin& Power on the blueline& Columbus will start to make a push soon.

Bergeron’s been the heart and soul of this team and Boston won’t have the one advantge they’ve had, the best top line in the league.

They’ve been as one line team as it gets and now that line is looking to get destoyed.
You keep repeating they were a WC team. Go back through the point totals of all teams to make the playoffs in this current format. Without looking I'd argue at least 80% of the time 107 pts qualified as a top 3 seed in division. Yes there are 3 good teams at the top but as we all know that can change from season to season especially with injuries and a salary cap.

Again would Bergeron be missed , 100% without a doubt. But this team will not be a lottery team and still would have a decent shot at qualifying even w/o him. Even in today's NHL 8.75M is a lot of coin to find a replacement .

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You keep repeating they were a WC team. Go back through the point totals of all teams to make the playoffs in this current format. Without looking I'd argue at least 80% of the time 107 pts qualified as a top 3 seed in division. Yes there are 3 good teams at the top but as we all know that can change from season to season especially with injuries and a salary cap.

Again would Bergeron be missed , 100% without a doubt. But this team will not be a lottery team and still would have a decent shot at qualifying even w/o him. Even in today's NHL 8.75M is a lot of coin to find a replacement .

What does it matter?

Did this division have 3 better teams?

Yes it did, so why should I care if this team could have competed against x teams years ago?
This year Atlantic had 4 rebuilding teams and made multiple teams have career years because of it.

& no, none of those 3 teams are expected to drop anytime soon.

Florida has Lundell& Knight as their top rookies, those two are only going to get better.

Matthews, Marner are just starting to hit their prime, Toronto isn’t going away anytime soon.

Tampa will have their core together and still in their prime.
So at best you are starting as 4th best team in the Atlantic with basically very little room for improvement.

They won’t have that amount of money available without serious moves and this team has lived by the top line.
So they’d lose the advantage of having the best offensive line in the league and the best match up C in the league

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Very good I feel better now, name one.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
What does it matter?

Did this division have 3 better teams?

Yes it did, so why should I care if this team could have competed against x teams years ago?
This year Atlantic had 4 rebuilding teams and made multiple teams have career years because of it.

& no, none of those 3 teams are expected to drop anytime soon.

Florida has Lundell& Knight as their top rookies, those two are only going to get better.

Matthews, Marner are just starting to hit their prime, Toronto isn’t going away anytime soon.

Tampa will have their core together and still in their prime.
So at best you are starting as 4th best team in the Atlantic with basically very little room for improvement.

They won’t have that amount of money available without serious moves and this team has lived by the top line.
So they’d lose the advantage of having the best offensive line in the league and the best match up C in the league
I think that they can trade away 70% of the team (ya know, the dead weight) and have around $57 million to spend. There you go, problem solved!;):sarcasm:

In all actuality, he's going to have a hard time getting rid of the plugs to fill the two BIG holes if Bergeron leaves since he never actually filled the #2 Center position. We've got a lot of repetition, such as 2# three centers as Haula came down to Earth in the playoffs. The Bruins need a re-set, not a tank and because of a half dozen guys IMO they won't tank but if Bergy leaves, they'll have a hard time not being a lottery team IMO.

Draft - D
FA - C+
Trades - A-

Trades A-? Not sure sbout that. I say B- at best. Missed opportunities...
It just shows you how much the Boston sports media knows about the Bruins/NHL. If two swordfish jump into your boat without being hooked, should you be considered a master fisherman? Those fish are named Hall, and Lindholm.

I give him a D- for his overall drafts
FA- F
Trades C

Last edited:

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
I think that they can trade away 70% of the team (ya know, the dead weight) and have around $57 million to spend. There you go, problem solved!;):sarcasm:
Donny's about to drop the hammer lol. So far he's dropped it on his foot but never seems to stop dropping it.
In all actuality, he's going to have a hard time getting rid of the plugs to fill the two BIG holes if Bergeron leaves since he never actually filled the #2 Center position. We've got a lot of repetition, such as 2# three centers as Haula came down to Earth in the playoffs. The Bruins need a re-set, not a tank and because of a half dozen guys IMO they won't tank but if Bergy leaves, they'll have a hard time not being a lottery team IMO.

Just goes to show you how much the Boston sports media knows about the Bruins/NHL.
Boston Media are the worst in the Country....when it comes to a sport with a stick and a puck ..lol

Reactions: Gordoff

bp14

Mar 17, 2022

It just shows you how much the Boston sports media knows about the Bruins/NHL. If two swordfish jump into your boat without being hooked, should you be considered a master fisherman? Those fish are named Hall, and Lindholm.

I give him a D- for his overall drafts
FA- F
Trades C
A C+ for free agents is extremely generous. I’d make that a C-.

Reactions: Gordoff

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
He want's a 25 cent raise and JJ won't budge...
He should take what he can get, teams are not going to be lining up to give him a big bundle of cash.

Hopefully he moves on so they can try and right the ship and get a set plan in place so they are not always trying to bandage things come TDL.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Very good I feel better now, name one.
Although not free agents , my first call would be to Vegas who are cap strapped with Eichel, looking to see what can be worked out for Karlson or Marchessault.

For pure UFA's I'd look at Trocheck, Kadri, Strome and Copp

Last edited:

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
A C+ for free agents is extremely generous. I’d make that a C-.
While I'm not one of Sweeney's biggest fans as GM , many here are overlooking the fact that he was able to sign our bigger stars to team friendly LTC's which has allowed the team to stay competitive. What he's done with those cap savings is certainly up for debate though.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
While I'm not one of Sweeney's biggest fans as GM , many here are overlooking the fact that he was able to sign our bigger stars to team friendly LTC's which has allowed the team to stay competitive. What he's done with those cap savings is certainly up for debate though.
Yes and set the core of carlo jake McAvoy sway and lindholm. That's some heavy artillery.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
He want's a 25 cent raise and JJ won't budge...

caddyshack-ted-knight.gif

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Sweeney must not come back he destroyed all the chances of this team to remain competitive in the last off season by squandering 30 million for several players of bad quality instead of investing this money wisely for players of quality, He went for quantity instead of quality and bet on young players to fill the holes in the bottom of the lineup. Now, the team is in a bad financial position with the salary cap and the movements required to correct the situation are too important to correct the composition of the team for the better.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sweeney must not come back he destroyed all the chances of this team to remain competitive in the last off season by squandering 30 million for several players of bad quality instead of investing this money wisely for players of quality, He went for quantity instead of quality and bet on young players to fill the holes in the bottom of the lineup. Now, the team is in a bad financial position with the salary cap and the movements required to correct the situation are too important to correct the composition of the team for the better.
30 million?

How do you figure that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad