Management State of the Bruins -Sweeney 5/18/22, Neely 5/19/22

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Would be surprised if the Sweeney contract situation is not addressed before the NHL finals

Bruins dont have a 1st in the upcoming draft. But many potential moves could be made (likely minor).

I would be disappointed if Foligno, Nosek, Reilly all return for next neason. They can also find a new home for Smith

If none of these moves are made .... the only spots to fill would be top 6C (Bergeron doesnt return) and replacement for Lazar.

Not enough to help propel/upgrade the team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Do I have this right: Sweeney had 25 million in cap space prior to last season. Today, absent moving "pieces," he has under 1 million in cap space.

Is this correct?
Sounds about right to me for last seasonwithout looking it up. Lots of adds, and then raises kicking in and only Bergeron as the significant contract expiring. I don’t know what their space now is exactly. I thought it was more than that , but it wasn’t a lot.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Sounds about right to me for last seasonwithout looking it up. Lots of adds, and then raises kicking in and only Bergeron as the significant contract expiring. I don’t know what their space now is exactly. I thought it was more than that , but it wasn’t a lot.

It blows my mind. They're going to have to move Reilly, Smith, Clifton, possibly Gryz, Nosek, buy out Nick, and Lazar will likely look elswhere as well.

I don't mind losing any of the above, save Matt and Curtis. I wouldn't mind keeping Cliffy.

In the event, they better get it done.

I don't know how Sweeney and Neely still have their jobs. I really don't. Another season of their foolishness, and if the heat gets high, they've already laid the groundwork to sacrifice Cassidy.

Which is a joke.

Those two losers deserve to be kicked to the curb.

Cassidy has made the playoffs every year during his tenure, ususally going to the second round. This, with perenial issues on the second line (wing, now center); B level D, and players largely soft as pooh.

It's ridiculous.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Do I have this right: Sweeney had 25 million in cap space prior to last season. Today, absent moving "pieces," he has under 1 million in cap space.

Is this correct?
The guy is a total tool as a GM. I mean and what does he have to show for it with all that cap space he had ? Its groundhog day all over again with this guy. :mad:

On the positive side, here it is memorial day and no word yet on an extension.

Reactions: capecodder

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Here's how I have been looking at it....

I really didn't like any of the signings, but most wound up being fine.

Didn't want Ullmark, but he's good. I figure a back up would have cost them 3-3.5mil...so you would have saved a bit there. Forbort is ok as a 3nd pair.... Reilly is a luxury at a pretty high price right now. Haula was fine for his money. Nosek is meh, but is under 2 mil. Foligno is the real terrible one.

Overall they actually worked out better than I thought. Lots of money coming off next summer, so hopefully we don't infringe on that this off season even if it means having a worse team.

Reactions: BruinDust

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Here's how I have been looking at it....

I really didn't like any of the signings, but most wound up being fine.

Didn't want Ullmark, but he's good. I figure a back up would have cost them 3-3.5mil...so you would have saved a bit there. Forbort is ok as a 3nd pair.... Reilly is a luxury at a pretty high price right now. Haula was fine for his money. Nosek is meh, but is under 2 mil. Foligno is the real terrible one.

Overall they actually worked out better than I thought. Lots of money coming off next summer, so hopefully we don't infringe on that this off season even if it means having a worse team.
I look at it as wasted money, he threw away because he had it in his pocket just terrible asset management again by Sweeney. He could of filled all those positions with players from providence, and saved his cap space for a Center via trade. I just hope he's not around this off season, let alone next.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sweeney confirmed to the media on Wednesday that his contract expires at the end of this postseason, and that an extension has not yet been reached with the Bruins.

"We stand here today acknowledging we fell short," Sweeney said. "And that's on me, to try and pull the right strings and hopefully make the right decisions. I guarantee you that if I'm not, somebody else will be making the decisions. That's not a problem where I stand, at any point in time. And that's part of professional sports, both as a player and in management."

"I'm under contract for right now," Sweeney said.

Last edited:

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
"We stand here today acknowledging we fell short," Sweeney said. "And that's on me, to try and pull the right strings and hopefully make the right decisions. I guarantee you that if I'm not, somebody else will be making the decisions. That's not a problem where I stand, at any point in time. And that's part of professional sports, both as a player and in management."

I'd bet Sweeney will still be here. They'll promote him to an Advisory role once Sinden kicks the bucket.

Reactions: TCB

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
All of that money last summer to build around Bergy, Marchy, Pasta, Hall, McAvoy, and several key role players. First round playoff exit is what he has to show for it. Didn't even make it to the usual 2nd round exit. Bu... Bu.... But muh regular season points. Sheesh, when will this organization learn?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It means that whether he likes it or not, Sweeney is going to have to make some trades.
Not only is he going to have to make trades. If he wants to sign any FA’s he’s going to have to find a way to dump salary without having salary coming back.

Reactions: Dr Hook

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I look at it as wasted money, he threw away because he had it in his pocket just terrible asset management again by Sweeney. He could of filled all those positions with players from providence, and saved his cap space for a Center via trade. I just hope he's not around this off season, let alone next.
We can debate the players, and whether they even have them, but I would have liked a "kid line" that saw actual minutes from the start, gained their confidence, and improved enough for that line to be energentic contributors come playoff time. By committee.

Reactions: TCB and JerseyBruin

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sweeney confirmed to the media on Wednesday that his contract expires at the end of this postseason, and that an extension has not yet been reached with the Bruins.

Is this the same guy people in here constantly rip for not taking responsibility?

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
They fell short because Don failed to get quality players in FA he blew it adding what turned out to be Garbage epic fail. Cassidy again failed to give the youngsters time and learn from mistakes. they both failed and should be replaced

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
All of that money last summer to build around Bergy, Marchy, Pasta, Hall, McAvoy, and several key role players. First round playoff exit is what he has to show for it. Didn't even make it to the usual 2nd round exit. Bu... Bu.... But muh regular season points. Sheesh, when will this organization learn?
The learning curve is well past due.

Reactions: TCB

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
It’s the GMs job to hire and fire coaches. Bruce has his own issues, and a slow start would just add to em
But my issue is that, to my knowledge, Bruce wasn't the one who whiffed on FA signings and draft picks. If he somehow was and was holding a gun to Sweeney's head and telling him to make certain moves, then he deserves to get canned right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad