Management STATE OF THE BRUINS - 10/10/22 - video and transcript

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
We have discussed this matter multiple times before and I see no need to rehash it. I respect your opinion on it but we disagree, which is fine.
But just specifically on the ownership, yeah of course the Bruins are literally Jacobs' property. Such is the American private capitalist model in sport and while I don't particularly like it it's what you have. But I would argue that there are different ways of approaching that, and I would say that the best and most appropriate way to treat a sporting franchise, especially one with the history, importance and emotional attachments of the Bruins, is as a custodian. You are caring for the organization, looking after it on behalf of its fans and ensuring its health and integrity for future generations. On top of that I would say that you have an obligation to the STHs in particular who invest a lot of time and money in the franchise, to keep them informed, engaged in and, at least broadly speaking, satisfied with the direction the team is heading in. That means speaking regularly through the media or directly to the fans in keeping them abreast of what's happening, and why, of having some sense of accountability for actions taken and appreciating supporter concerns and points of view.

And I just don't believe that the Jacobs and their acolytes do anywhere near enough of this, and that their attitude in owning the club is too lofty, imperial and money-driven. It's not terrible and they do some things well, but it could be a lot better. But that's just me.
The Bruins had been in the National Hockey league for 50 years before Mr. Jacobs bought the team, 47 years ago. Jacob's ownership is almost half of that history. It's not like he's run the team into the ground.

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Friedman touched on the Hamilton trade in his blog. Basically said it was rushed and that teams who otherwise would've been interested in Hamilton had no clue he was available. That's maddening.

Ev-IGW6XAAAy0Hj

Friedman also mentioned that things were "close" with Colorado. Considering that the Avs needed a Defenseman and if Mirtle's report was accurate, then Sweeney turned down the 10th overall pick. Maybe because the Avs didn't offer multiple 2nd round picks? In the "Behind The B" episode of the 2015 draft, Sweeney was obsessed with getting "at least 2 2nds" for Hamilton. Colorado ended up trading for Nikita Zadorov.

Ev-IH0_WgAM4bui

I mean, without knowing exactly who would be available... 10th vs 15th and two 2nds is a pretty easy choice

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't have a problem with anything they said.

Bottom line is this roster is better than last year's roster. Last year's team was one game away from beating a team many experts are picking for this year's final. So with that in mind, I'd say this team has a solid shot. Only thing is the injuries. Weather that period and watch out. This team can surprise the league.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
when he feels comfortable, hopefully we finalize a deal.

wtf does that mean? Doesn't he love it here?

There isn’t any timeline on that, but we’re going to have to communicate almost every day — to tell you the honest truth, and see if we can find the finish line.”

sounds promising. @DominicT would know, but isn't there some sort of cut off during the season or did I dream that?

Obviously, a shot-first winger certainly wants to know who his centerman is going to be. We’ve made it very clear to David that we’re very aware of that particular position moving forward and we’re going to do everything we possibly can to fill that void when that happens.

Umm?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why he blew off Felger for his constant trolling. I thought you were a sports radio guy . No?

There isn’t any timeline on that, but we’re going to have to communicate almost every day — to tell you the honest truth, and see if we can find the finish line.”

sounds promising. @DominicT would know, but isn't there some sort of cut off during the season or did I dream that?

Obviously, a shot-first winger certainly wants to know who his centerman is going to be. We’ve made it very clear to David that we’re very aware of that particular position moving forward and we’re going to do everything we possibly can to fill that void when that happens.

Umm?
He wants to play with Hertl in SJ

Lock

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Umm?

My sense is Pasta does want to sign with the Bruins and that's his first preference, but he wants fair value, he and/or his agent have certain conditions around the way the contract is constructed, and he wants to be on a competitive team, which primarily means having some knowledge and assurance around what's happening, or at least what Sweeny plans to do, with the top 2 centers post Bergy/Krej.

Sweeney has not yet arrived at an offer and convincing future plan that is sufficient to give Pasta what he wants in order to sign an extension. I think he will get there, but it also isn't guaranteed. Again, I really feel he wants to stick around, but he will not do so if he's not satisfied with what's on the table. The Bruins have the best horse in this race, but it isn't the only one, and favorities don't always win. Don's got some work to do to get this done.

Reactions: Gordoff

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I agree I’m tired of it too but the guy never speaks to the media how can he be tired of anything?

And he sort of fueled the conversation again by bringing it up unprompted.
Well add in the fact Pasta seems hesitant about re upping because of the center depth when he could have been taking feeds from two of Barzal, Norris and Thomas makes the draft history something that will consistently be rehashed

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My sense is Pasta does want to sign with the Bruins and that's his first preference, but he wants fair value, he and/or his agent have certain conditions around the way the contract is constructed, and he wants to be on a competitive team, which primarily means having some knowledge and assurance around what's happening, or at least what Sweeny plans to do, with the top 2 centers post Bergy/Krej.

Sweeney has not yet arrived at an offer and convincing future plan that is sufficient to give Pasta what he wants in order to sign an extension. I think he will get there, but it also isn't guaranteed. Again, I really feel he wants to stick around, but he will not do so if he's not satisfied with what's on the table. The Bruins have the best horse in this race, but it isn't the only one, and favorities don't always win. Don's got some work to do to get this done.
For me it seems that the deal is where it needs to be but pasta is “not ready to sign it” for whatever reason. Just going to enjoy the season, can’t fathom losing this guy for nothing.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
For me it seems that the deal is where it needs to be but pasta is “not ready to sign it” for whatever reason. Just going to enjoy the season, can’t fathom losing this guy for nothing.
Sweeney and Neely should be canned if Pasta isn't a member of the Bruins beyond this season. Unfortunately, there's a greater chance of pigs flying than Jacobs firing his good 'ole boys who used to play for the team.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If I’m the agent and I WANT to take him to FA I need something

Best I could come up with was the direction of the team

Weak to me but there you go

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If I'm the agent, how about I just want to see how much money we can get.
Right, because taking a "hometown discount" doesn't mean that this front office is going to use it effectively enough to bolster any other weakness in the lineup. If that's the case, I can't say that I blame him.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
all NHL GM`s and President`s are not immune from criticism, comes with the territory but for those complaining about our two execs , other than Bill Guerin, they answer questions like every other GM/Prez in the league, usually offering little more than cliché's and half answers

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Right, because taking a "hometown discount" doesn't mean that this front office is going to use it effectively enough to bolster any other weakness in the lineup. If that's the case, I can't say that I blame him.

Players don't give hometown discounts when it's their biggest career pay day.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Umm?
Cut off I for RFA. Pasta is UFA

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad