Management STATE OF THE BRUINS - 10/10/22 - video and transcript

Babajingo

Players don't give hometown discounts when it's their biggest career pay day.
This. I remember Curt Schilling explaining it on the radio a long time ago. I know, Schilling is a clown but it made sense. He basically said that players really only have one big contract in their careers. When you're 25,26,27 yrs old and you want to sign long term, this is the only big contract. I will never blame the player for taking the most money. You never know what tomorrow brings. Could get injured, game degrades, traded to Buff, team signs crap to play around you, ...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This. I remember Curt Schilling explaining it on the radio a long time ago. I know, Schilling is a clown but it made sense. He basically said that players really only have one big contract in their careers. When you're 25,26,27 yrs old and you want to sign long term, this is the only big contract. I will never blame the player for taking the most money. You never know what tomorrow brings. Could get injured, game degrades, traded to Buff, team signs crap to play around you, ...
The biggest contract he ever got was from the state of Rhode Island and he barely started a game.

Players don't give hometown discounts when it's their biggest career pay day.
Except when they do

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'd argue that Bergy took a discount back in 2013 when he was coming up on the last year of his contract. If he hit the open market in 2014 he would've gotten at least 8 Million per year.

In 2014 he was coming off a 30-goal season. Selke winner. 5th in Hart voting.

In 2013 he was coming off a 10-goal season.

The biggest contract he ever got was from the state of Rhode Island and he barely started a game.

Except when they do

Cannot find a good rebuttal for that.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
In 2014 he was coming off a 30-goal season. Selke winner. 5th in Hart voting.

In 2013 he was coming off a 10-goal season.

Cannot find a good rebuttal for that.
But keep in mind that it was a shortened season because of the lockout. His numbers on an 82 game pace would've been 20-43-63 and he would've just turned 29 the following summer. Paul Stastny got 7 Million per year in 2014 and Bergy has more points than him in each of the previous 3 seasons.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Sounds like Pastrnak wants to stay, but also wants to know that he will have a top tier center feeding him for the duration of the contract. Can’t say i blame him.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
when he feels comfortable, hopefully we finalize a deal.

wtf does that mean? Doesn't he love it here?

There isn’t any timeline on that, but we’re going to have to communicate almost every day — to tell you the honest truth, and see if we can find the finish line.”

sounds promising. @DominicT would know, but isn't there some sort of cut off during the season or did I dream that?

Obviously, a shot-first winger certainly wants to know who his centerman is going to be. We’ve made it very clear to David that we’re very aware of that particular position moving forward and we’re going to do everything we possibly can to fill that void when that happens.

Umm?
they're clearly just hammering out the numbers. In the end as fans generally all we care about are the cap hit and term, but as you know these contracts can be insanely complex and the players care about stuff like bonus vs salary, front loading vs back loading, NTC, NMC, etc.

The obvious, occam's razor interpretation of those comments from Sweeney are that they're still hammering away at the contract details. I don't know why you're reaching for an interpretation that says he's uncomfortable with signing here long-term due to hockey reasons when he has already said publicly that he wants to stay.

the other comments from Sweeney about the makeup of the team, the plans going forward, etc suggest to me that they've already sold Pasta on the idea that they plan to contend as long as he's here and now it's just a matter of working out the contract.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Sweeney: “It could be all of the above, to be honest with you. Where we start right now without having those guys makes you feel like you need. You go through defensemen throughout the course of the season. You just have guys that can step in and play minutes in all different situations, which we currently have, and we’re better off when we do. Clearly, the decisions we made yesterday give us potentially more flexibility in really any way. Whether that's moving guys around the roster or whether that’s to utilize cap space. They’re both really important, and again it's not an easy conversation to have with players by any means. But it’s just the nature of some of the things that we have to deal with. Putting the roster together when you’re teetering on guys that are ready to come back as opposed to guys that it’s an unknown, these guys are all ready to come back within a shorter period of time. They're not out for the whole season, where some teams can plan accordingly in that regard. We’re fortunate in that regard because they're good players.”
man, this is the biggest word salad I've ever seen in my life.

Whenever I see Sweeney answer questions to the media I'm left wondering how the hell this guy was a Harvard grad.

Reactions: formerlyBrainofJ

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If I’m the agent and I WANT to take him to FA I need something

Best I could come up with was the direction of the team

Weak to me but there you go
In fairness, Pasta is a competitor and like all stars he wants to win a Cup. 2011 was awesome for us, but not Pasta.

Bottom line is the Bruins don’t have a legit top one or two center in it’s system other than Krejci and Bergeron. Neither of whom will play a big role (beyond this year, even?) in Pasta’s new long contract.

It’s legitimate question to ask about the direction of the team. Pasta might care about goalies and defenseman and wingers, sure. But a player like him would be smart to care most about Centers.

Doesn’t seem weak to me at all.

Since he doesn’t have to do anything right now (he has the leverage of course) the natural question for him to ask is “what is our plan for the center position beyond this year?”.

Like it or not, Donny is going to have to come up with an excellent answer for that question for both the team and Pasta. My guess is Pasta waits for an answer than makes him feel comfortable.

If Donny can’t find one before the TDL, tough decisions are going to have to be made. I hope the answer isn’t “our plan for center moving forward is to trade our star David P for a stud center”, but we all might need to brace ourselves for just that.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
they're clearly just hammering out the numbers. In the end as fans generally all we care about are the cap hit and term, but as you know these contracts can be insanely complex and the players care about stuff like bonus vs salary, front loading vs back loading, NTC, NMC, etc.

The obvious, occam's razor interpretation of those comments from Sweeney are that they're still hammering away at the contract details. I don't know why you're reaching for an interpretation that says he's uncomfortable with signing here long-term due to hockey reasons when he has already said publicly that he wants to stay.

the other comments from Sweeney about the makeup of the team, the plans going forward, etc suggest to me that they've already sold Pasta on the idea that they plan to contend as long as he's here and now it's just a matter of working out the contract.
Sweeney literally said when "Pasta feels comfortable". Why is he not comfortable? "When Pasta feels comfortable hopefully we will finalize a deal." I mean that was the quote. Throw in Neely's quote and he obviously has questions about more than money.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Whenever I see Sweeney answer questions to the media I'm left wondering how the hell this guy was a Harvard grad.
Lots of stories on Harvard’s enrollment policies due to the ongoing lawsuit regarding same.

Bottom line is a significant chunk of white students enrollment is due to legacy, sports, or big money. Many stories indicate that the qualifications for a large portion of this 40+ percent fall below the typical standard bars of entry to Harvard (grades, SAT’s, etc).

Below is from ABC news, but there are tons of stories along same lines. Bottom line is a Harvard education is NOT an absolute indication of academic excellence. Not saying Sweeney isn’t very bright, I don’t know anything about his educational aptitude. Just pointing out that, like anything, a label (in this case a “Harvard Grad”) does not always mean what it might imply. Some extremely bright people graduate from “average schools”, just as some extremely limited people graduate from the so called “best” schools.

“The study, published earlier this month in the National Bureau of Economic Research, found that 43 percent of white students admitted to Harvard University were recruited athletes, legacy students, children of faculty and staff, or on the dean’s interest list — applicants whose parents or relatives have donated to Harvard.”

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Verbatim from the very first post of this thread — the transcript from the conference. This is about as clear as it gets that “hockey reasons” are a not insignificant part of the discussion. “Yeah, for sure” from the team President no less………..

On if Pastrnak will consider roster construction for his contract…

Neely: “Yeah, for sure. Obviously, a shot-first winger certainly wants to know who his centerman is going to be. We’ve made it very clear to David that we’re very aware of that particular position moving forward and we’re going to do everything we possibly can to fill that void when that happens.”

Reactions: 22Brad Park

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
If I am Pasta your overpaying me to stay cause I am not stupid and see you have nothing in pipeline to feed me the puck .Bruins are about to get exposed for bad drafting.
Sweeney bought himself a year of prospect development by signing Bergeron and Krejci. If they work out..................?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Verbatim from the very first post of this thread — the transcript from the conference. This is about as clear as it gets that “hockey reasons” are a not insignificant part of the discussion. “Yeah, for sure” from the team President no less………..

Neely: “Yeah, for sure. Obviously, a shot-first winger certainly wants to know who his centerman is going to be. We’ve made it very clear to David that we’re very aware of that particular position moving forward and we’re going to do everything we possibly can to fill that void when that happens.”
So Cam’s translated, short answer was “yeah, I’m concerned as well, we got nuthin’”

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think I get your point.

Ownership doesn't do enough for the fans, correct?

Yes that, and they have a bit of a tendency to take the fans for granted and feel little compelled to have to explain or justify anything to them. Conversely they also sometimes treat their fans as fickle simpletons, i.e. the argument that people will quickly stop attending games if the team sucks.

I freely acknowledge that the Bruins do a lot of great work with charities and with people who are in tough circumstances because of disability, sickness, poverty etc. And that's terrific. It's their attitude towards the wider fanbase that I find problematic.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Read any academic journals lately? A substantial subset of professors love these sort of convoluted sentences and saying things in the most complicated way possible, good syntax and clarity be damned. So I can very much see the Harvard in Sweeney, it's just a certain type.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Disagree on that - it just takes a little reading comprehension. Seems like he’s not used to thinking or responding in tweet sized bites.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'd argue that Bergy took a discount back in 2013 when he was coming up on the last year of his contract. If he hit the open market in 2014 he would've gotten at least 8 Million per year.

Toews signed for 10.5 per one year later, and Bergeron was/is better than Toews. 6.5 per year was a huge hometown discount. Also, Bergeron said flat out he left money on the table for the good of the team on his current contract, which is the very definition of home town discount.

So yeah, except when they do.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Love to know how you sell him on it with no centres without over paying him.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

So who is a UFA to be besides Pierre Luc Dubois ?Can't see teams trading top 6 centre's.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
At least their schedule seems a bit more balanced to start the season.

Remember last year it felt like they played once a week and every other team had double the games played already by Thanksgiving

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad