#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Sakic used to be the king of the salary even in the huge payroll days, and now it is Duchene. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Forsberg made more than Sakic AAV for 4 years. Foppa was at $10m for 2 years and then $11m for 2 years while Sakic was at "only" $8m. Only changed after 2001.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Forsberg made more than Sakic AAV for 4 years. Foppa was at $10m for 2 years and then $11m for 2 years while Sakic was at "only" $8m. Only changed after 2001.

If I remember this correctly, that was the deal that Sakic signed with the NYR that the Avs matched. Which would make sense that the Avs wouldn't stick to that. Any deal Sakic signed with the Avs, he was the highest player player.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If I remember this correctly, that was the deal that Sakic signed with the NYR that the Avs matched. Which would make sense that the Avs wouldn't stick to that. Any deal Sakic signed with the Avs, he was the highest player player.

Such a 'umble guy dat Joe.

Stig

Apr 15, 2014
Minnesota
Well I argue that the Avs should be willing to go up to $6.5M if they absolutely have to in order to make the best possible offer to Stastny, and if O'Reilly gets $6M+ a year in a long-term deal I won't be upset either.

Remember when Patrick told us that he had "assurances that we would be competitive" when asked if he was worried about still being a budget team? Or better yet, remember when the old Avs FO would say "they will spend when it's necessary" and clarified that it meant taking care of the players here first, when asked why we were a cap-floor team.

I have no problem with the Avs giving 6.5 if it means we get to keep either or both. The Salary cap is going to go up, and 6.5 will be a bargain over the long run. And as long as Duchene continues his upward arc of better play he will be surpass Stastny and ROR. But I do think MacKinnon will be the top paid player on the team eventually.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So, they will offer him the same as Duchene, but not a penny more. A bit frustrating, but whether it's right or wrong, I applaud people who stick to their plan and don't budge under pressure. Just have to trust Joe and Patty on this one. It'd be nice to see Staz taking a $600k paycut after making over $40 million from this franchise already, but players deserve the UFA opportunity and earned the right to go wherever they want. It will be silly money that lures him away from Colorado, that much we can be certain about. I really don't think he'd sign in St. Louis for, say, $6.25m over $6m from us. It will need to be more. Question is... how much more? $7m AAV from a contender might do it.

At this point in time does anyone on the Avs deserve more than Duchene? You'd be hard pressed to make an argument that anyone does.

I'm with you I'm glad they are playing hard ball, Stastny hasn't been worth more than 6M+ is he a 5.5 to 6 per guy for sure, but not much more. I'm glad we are somewhat smart with our money, it assures us that we will be able to keep the real stars around like Duchene, EJ, Varly, MacK and we won't have Chicago problems where every 4 years or so we have to purge off all our secondary players unwillingly.

All I can say is if the Avs have offered anything in the 5.5-6M per range it's a more than fair offer for Stastny, if he wants the 7M+ pay day let him have it. And let's re-group and focus on some UFA targets that can help the team at a reasonable cost.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Stick to your guns, Joe and Patty. If Stastny ends up getting 7M a year from someone else, then I wish him all the best and will be glad we won't be the ones with that contract.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I remember when the DP was trying to make a big drama between Duchene and O'Reilly during his (O'Reilly's) holdout and Duchene said:

"I don't have a problem with my contract, I love my contract..." and then went on to clarify that he knew that if he performed as he was capable of doing he'd be in line for a bigger payday.

Well, I believe that same sentiment should hold true today. If someone else makes more than he (or Landeskog or Varlamov) how does that stop them from "loving their contracts"?

I am just having a difficult time with this, because we were SO INCREDIBLY BAD as team during the Granato/Sacco years and now that we seem to be on the precipice of actually contending for a Stanley Cup (admittedly might still be a year or two away but we're definitely playoff caliber) we're starting to hear "Salary Structure"....

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I've already said what I think about the structure, should Avs rabidly stick to it. Pure idiocy.

But if Avs indeed haven't budged, why are they having all these meetings with the Stastny camp?

Sakic: Changed your mind?
Keator: Nope.
Sakic: Cool. We'll check in with you tomorrow.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I've already said what I think about the structure, should Avs rabidly stick to it. Pure idiocy.

But if Avs indeed haven't budged, why are they having all these meetings with the Stastny camp?

The mere fact that they are still talking, means there is some negotiation. The Avs could be sticking at $6m, but giving up more years or NMCs or salaries for individual years.

In the end, the cap hit max the Avs will go to is $6m. IMO the only way that gets done with Stastny is if the Avs go for 6-8 years, and probably the higher end of that spectrum.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

I really feel the only "budge" the Avs have made, over the past 48 hours, was changing their offer from $5.x AAV to $6m AAV on the dot. Not under the Duchene cap, but right at it.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Complete guess. As always, you can assume anything I put here is just my opinion from now on. Trying to put one and one together to make three.
ok, I'm done with this thread until something gets announced
tired of the speculation and people sounding like they are in the room

this

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Complete guess. As always, you can assume anything I put here is just my opinion from now on. Trying to put one and one together to make three.

You may be right, but I doubt 6 is the hometown discount Stastny was talking about. I think he just wanted the team to match it's old contract, rather than give him a raise. The team is obviously not going to do that, so he will look for a raise on the open market, and he will get it.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I really don't think, Duchene cap or no, that going over 6 for Stastny or O'Reilly would be very wise either way. Especially long term with Stastny. O'Reilly at 6.5 max would be doable though I guess. If we go over 6 with Stastny it better not be for 7 or 8 years.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
In defense of what Avs are doing, if they believe Stastny will always go to July 1st (reasonable) there is no real reason to table your best offer until you have to.

Only if you think there was a chance to get him to sign before that, should you be willing to go as far as you are willing. This is a judgment call Sakic have to make based on the tone of the talks.

LaCarriere

I really like Stastny, and hope he stays.

I have to say though, for a guy who's already earned about 35 million, it would suck to see him go somewhere else for +1 or +1.5 mil/year difference over 6-8 years. If he goes somewhere else for 6 years / 7.5 per year, vs staying in Colorado for 6 years / 6.0 per year. His career earnings would be about 71 million vs 80 million at the end of the contract, and 34 years old. Like really -- what can you do with 80 million that you couldn't with 71?

I always thought Stasny would be a franchise player, and hopefully he resigns, but those are pretty rare I guess now. It just had that storybook feel, with his dad being drafted by the Nordiques.

I guess I can see him not wanting to take a pay cut, but if he leaves I hope it's to an eastern conference team. If he goes to a divisional rival like the Blues that would really not be good.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It's a matter of principle for these players. Stastny doesn't want to take a paycut likely because it admits that he wasn't as good as the $6.6 million a season (and he wasn't). It's not just the extra dollars and cents that matter, it's pride. But I don't think losing Stastny is the end of the world at all, even if he goes to divisional teams, because he's just not a game-changing player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There was a report that the Avs were offering in the 5 range, now they say the max is 6 so it's not that much of a leap to say that's how things are going down.

I get that letting him walk over a few hundred k is stupid. I don't think he'll get 7+ on the market like some do, maybe high 6 range so staying will be a pay cut but probably not as big of one as some people think it would be.

I just pray for compromise from both sides. If the Avs need to come up a little then do it. Or offer one more year. Usually if it's in the mutual interest of the parties it will get worked out. They've talked a lot, presumably worked hard on this. I hope common ground is in sight. It should be to have gotten this far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad