#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
How kind of Stastny and his agent to give the Avs "first refusal."

So, after he collects all the crazy offers, he takes the highest one to the Avs and says "match it?" Or "come close?" We are privileged.

I hope the Avs dont go higher than 6.0M tbh. That contract is gonna hurt down the line for anyone who signs it if it has 6-7 years on it.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If there's silence, I would say it means that talks have concluded. It's not a sure thing but I'd imagine talks are over by now anyway. Either Stastny is thinking hard about an offer by the Avs or is going to test the market (and then sign somewhere else). I think it's the latter because we're running out of time, and there's rumors of Stastny not wanting to take a paycut.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
The silence could mean that something is close and they don't want to say. Regardless, I'm indifferent about stastny signing or decking to go elsewhere. Mackinnon needs to take over a center spot eventually and after probably 4 years I think we'll want stastny gone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If there's silence, I would say it means that talks have concluded. It's not a sure thing but I'd imagine talks are over by now anyway. Either Stastny is thinking hard about an offer by the Avs or is going to test the market (and then sign somewhere else). I think it's the latter because we're running out of time already.

The silence is in refernence to both the Avs and Keator not commenting on the status of the talks. Nothing more, nothing less.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
The silence is in refernence to both the Avs and Keator not commenting on the status of the talks. Nothing more, nothing less.

To go one step further... not commenting on the status of the talks to Adrian Friggin' Dater! I mean, this is an Earth rattling development folks!

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
To go one step further... not commenting on the status of the talks to Adrian Friggin' Dater! I mean, this is an Earth rattling development folks!

In this case it's worth noting. Keator has been open to Dater, now nothing. Talks are clearly done.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

So, after he collects all the crazy offers, he takes the highest one to the Avs and says "match it?" Or "come close?" We are privileged.

I don't think that's how it works. Avs would have the right to match the one he would sign if he doesn't sign with Avs, not the highest bid.

I'm not sure the deal between Avs and Stastny is anything more than the agent promising to check in with Avs and see if something can be worked out in the end without any binding promises of anything.

We'll see. There's something odd about the whole thing. I'm not sure Avs want Stastny back and I'm not sure Stastny wants to go back but for some reason both sides act as if there isn't any coming divorce.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In this case it's worth noting. Keator has been open to Dater, now nothing. Talks are clearly done.

Wouldn't Keator want to signal they are done so other teams can ratchet up their bids?

Neither commenting means nothing in any direction.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If Stastny isn't coming back the Avs need to manage the message. They can't stay silent and just let him go. He isn't just all of a sudden going to hit the market on Tueday, something will be said.

I seriously think the press conference for Bleackley has something to do with it. We won't hear anything either way until its over. If he's signed it will be announced tomorrow afternoon like how McGinn's was announced. If not then I think that's when leaks of how things broke down will come out.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If Stastny isn't coming back the Avs need to manage the message. They can't stay silent and just let him go. He isn't just all of a sudden going to hit the market on Tueday, something will be said.
Why not? They've already said Stastny wants to see what offers are out there. He probably will just hit the market, nothing really needs to be said.

The Avs aren't announcing a signing during Bleackley's presser. That would be pretty disrespectful to the young guy, completely overshadowing him.

Last edited:

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
For talking about being very open last year, they are church mice this year. Everything were saying is based upon Dater's might be trolling, might be telling the truth tweets.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

It's hardly any better than what Ryan O'Reilly is doing to the club either.

We may very well end up losing 2 first line players in the span of 2 years. Rather than be stacked and built for cup contention with the addition of a first pairing defender, we're deflated some, waiting for our players to develop and hoping to be contenders in 3-4 years.

It's a shame we couldn't just end it now and get both wrapped up for long term 6.25mil deals. 250k on top of our 6mil cap structure won't hurt the team going forward, the next big signings are EJ and MacK in 2 years time when the cap will have risen. 6.25 and 6mil won't mean any difference in 3-5 years time. We all saw what Stastny's contract ended up being in the end. 6.6mil was top end money at the time, not many players were making more than Staz. Now a ton are.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Sakic has been quoted by Lebrun almost every day or every other day with contract updates. He's not going to come out and tell everyone their contract offer.

Most of those quotes gave us nothing though. My point is that I'm an impatient child who needs answers right away and can't stand Daters BS

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They've been open about their plan and opinions but every single signing there was absolutely nothing said until it happened. Duchene's was known it was coming but the other 7 contracts that have happened since not one whisper (except the bagboy).

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009

Almost like signing a crazy offersheet and saying to the Avs match it or im gone.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not taking your bait. Nice efforts, though.

How is it different though? Especially considering Stastny has that right as a UFA just as ROR had the right to hold out as an RFA.

I value your posts and think you got treated pretty harshly with the last ROR deal, but what you posted is much the same as what was objectionable before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad