#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
How is it different though? Especially considering Stastny has that right as a UFA just as ROR had the right to hold out as an RFA.

I value your posts and think you got treated pretty harshly with the last ROR deal, but what you posted is much the same as what was objectionable before.

I'm sure TPS doesn't like everything ROR has done but it still wouldn't be appropiate of him to say that on here. Everyone would just blow it out of proportion.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Not taking your bait. Nice efforts, though.

It's not bait, it's discussion. If you're not willing to discuss ROR then at least apply the same logic to Stastny. I'd call any poster out on playing favorites, doesn't matter what your connection is because you've made it clear that it doesn't exist anymore, which is respectable.

We currently have two forwards 'holding out' on us because we want to keep a salary structure in place to remain competitive going forward. Neither are anymore just in their decisions than those running the franchise either.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The only positive out of all of this, if you want to have a positive feeling, is that right now there are 6-7 players out there that are rumored to be looking for max term deals at 5.5+ million and several others looking in the 4.5-5.5 range. That just is not going to happen. Only a handful of teams have the cap space AND the financial backing to do so.

Not to say Stastny won't get 7+ from someone, but maybe all these big dollar contract offers are just like the massive trade value that several players were supposed to bring in at the draft, made up figments of nothing.

Colorado IMO is basically at this point telling Paul, ok, see what is out there. Let us know and we will see if the offers really are what you think they will be. What does Colorado have to lose here?

Stastny, of course, but they were never going to pay him north of 7 million. So maybe the best offer from one of the teams on his short list is in the middle 6 range. Avs get a chance to match it and they do, nothing lost. However, if the deal is in the 7.5-8 range, no thankyou. Colorado would be smart to walk away from it.

The only way I really put hate towards management is if he signs for less than his current 6.6 contract.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I don't know that I feel badly towards either one of our contract question marks. It's a business. If the avs aren't willing to pay, someone else will be. If money is whats important, well, you go for the money. If that offer is coming from an already contending cup team like st louis, I'd probably be packed up and just waiting permission at this point.

And seriously? TPS isn't RoR. The chirping is pretty unnecessary and rather bush league.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
If that offer is coming from an already contending cup team like st louis, I'd probably be packed up and just waiting permission at this point.

in what way is STL an already contending cup team? they lost in the first round
by that logic we are an already contending cup team :nod:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
in what way is STL an already contending cup team? they lost in the first round
by that logic we are an already contending cup team :nod:

As long as we have ****** defense we are not going anywhere. This could be disaster of an off-season. ROR gone, Stastny gone, defense stays the same. UGH. **** this ****. :shakehead

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This could be disaster of an off-season. ROR gone, Stastny gone, defense stays the same.

The thing is, with ROR and Stastny gone it's not just the defense that we'll have to worry about. That would leave a massive hole upfront and we have basically no top 6 prospect to fill that hole in the near future.

I hate to say it but we can't really count on PAP and Tangs and it isn't looking that good offensively all of a sudden.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The thing is, with ROR and Stastny gone it's not just the defense that we'll have to worry about. That would leave a massive hole upfront and we have basically no top 6 prospect to fill that hole in the near future.

I hate to say it but we can't really count on PAP and Tangs and it isn't looking that good offensively all of a sudden.

Okay, of course we would get someone back for ROR, but still I think every trade we make with ROR we will end up losing. I don't see any other team giving up better player than ROR to us. We will have to give up the best player in the deal.

I like Tanguay, only problem is his injury history for now. He can't stay healthy. Otherwise he was good last season. PAP doesn't fit our team anymore. Hopefully he bounces back.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Was coming to post the picture of Stastny in his many year old jersey on nhl.com. You all are more observant than the league's website, so well done.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
This whole thing reminds me of the Sakic, Roy, and Blake contract talks that went into the night of the 30th before all three re-signed with the Avs(could be wrong who it was. Just remember 3 of them possibly hitting ufa if they didn't get signed). If this goes into the week, I don't like our chances.

Stig

Apr 15, 2014
Minnesota
Its definitely reckoning day today. I think once UFA starts and he isn't still signed, he is gone. If he does leave, I hope its to a east team, but I doubt it.
:dunno:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I still say there will be a re-signing.

Avs and Stastny's camp just slow playing the hand.

My prediction is that by 5:00pm tomorrow, Stastny is re-signed to a 6+ year deal with all the bells and whistles @ 6.25-6.50m AAV.

Keeping the Faith

Stig

Apr 15, 2014
Minnesota
I still say there will be a re-signing.

Avs and Stastny's camp just slow playing the hand.

My prediction is that by 5:00pm tomorrow, Stastny is re-signed to a 6+ year deal with all the bells and whistles @ 6.25-6.50m AAV.

Keeping the Faith

I hope its announced before the start of UFA if he is re-signing, which IIRC is 1pm Est tomorrow?

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
I don't think he stays an Av. I also don't think he'll be in St. Louis or Chicago. I have a feeling it'll be a team a little off the radar like Nashville or Minny or New Jersey.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 5 min
Paul Stastny's agent Matt Keator working today to shorten down list of suitors. I would expect St. Louis to remain on the list.

And obviously re-signing in Colorado always a possibility right to the end but it won't be for as much money as offered elsewhere...

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Paul Stastny's agent Matt Keator working today to shorten down list of suitors. I would expect St. Louis to remain on the list.

And obviously re-signing in Colorado always a possibility right to the end but it won't be for as much money as offered elsewhere...

he'll be a great fit with Spezza
@TSNBobMcKenzie: STL and DAL are the two teams who currently have interest in OTT's Jason Spezza. Doesn't sound like a deal is close.

:sarcasm:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 9m
Hearing COL can't go past $6M on Stastny. He'll choose between a UFA home run, and staying in a good situation in Denver.

Another one in the column of "Duchene is the Internal Salary Cap"....

What is starting to bother me about that belief is it very well could be true, and if that's the case the Avs aren't competing for jack-s**t because they won't want to pay anyone over $6M a season and there will come a time when it HAS to happen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

What is starting to bother me about that belief is it very well could be true, and if that's the case the Avs aren't competing for jack-s**t because they won't want to pay anyone over $6M a season and there will come a time when it HAS to happen.

The only player that should really get more in the future is MacK, and a lot can happen in 2 years. If MacK struggles, then $6m might be too much still, but if he excels they will have to break it.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
So, they will offer him the same as Duchene, but not a penny more. A bit frustrating, but whether it's right or wrong, I applaud people who stick to their plan and don't budge under pressure. Just have to trust Joe and Patty on this one. It'd be nice to see Staz taking a $600k paycut after making over $40 million from this franchise already, but players deserve the UFA opportunity and earned the right to go wherever they want. It will be silly money that lures him away from Colorado, that much we can be certain about. I really don't think he'd sign in St. Louis for, say, $6.25m over $6m from us. It will need to be more. Question is... how much more? $7m AAV from a contender might do it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The only player that should really get more in the future is MacK, and a lot can happen in 2 years. If MacK struggles, then $6m might be too much still, but if he excels they will have to break it.

Well I argue that the Avs should be willing to go up to $6.5M if they absolutely have to in order to make the best possible offer to Stastny, and if O'Reilly gets $6M+ a year in a long-term deal I won't be upset either.

Remember when Patrick told us that he had "assurances that we would be competitive" when asked if he was worried about still being a budget team? Or better yet, remember when the old Avs FO would say "they will spend when it's necessary" and clarified that it meant taking care of the players here first, when asked why we were a cap-floor team.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Pure and utter stupiditiy by our management if that is true. This structure does not make sense. Not for Stastny. He has no RFA years that can be bought cheaper and he already earned 6.6M.

Under 6 ?

No way in hell he will take that. And rightfully so. I mean I am a huge homer and even I would feel insulted by that offer if I was him and consider leaving. He could get easily 8 M by a team like Toronto or Nashville. So not even offering 6 is crazy IMO.

A (very) small part of me wants him to just go to Chicago and STL and show up our management time after time after time when they knock us out of the playoffs....

I just hope that is not true...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well I argue that the Avs should be willing to go up to $6.5M if they absolutely have to in order to make the best possible offer to Stastny, and if O'Reilly gets $6M+ a year in a long-term deal I won't be upset either.

Remember when Patrick told us that he had "assurances that we would be competitive" when asked if he was worried about still being a budget team? Or better yet, remember when the old Avs FO would say "they will spend when it's necessary" and clarified that it meant taking care of the players here first, when asked why we were a cap-floor team.

Personally, I agree that I would go past a bit to keep Stastny (ROR is a RFA and should fall under as he isn't as good as the comparables even at $6m, so 6.0 is more than fair for what he brings). But Sakic and Roy have a plan and they are going to stick to it, it is either you trust their plan and are willing to see it out, or you don't trust their plan. I fall into the trust category.

There is a difference between being a budget team and having a structure for their players. Sakic used to be the king of the salary even in the huge payroll days, and now it is Duchene. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad