Starting A Franchise: Matthews+Marner VS McDavid

Who Would You Rather Start a Franchise With?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I’ll take the 2 players. Matthews is very good, not McDavid tier but among the best of the rest.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
It's McDavid always has and always will. The gap between him and Auston is so significant, much moreso than the players you could realistically surround McDavid with than Marner.

The difference is not that significant, no matter how many times that notion is repeated.

McDavid, Matthews and Eichel are closer than most believe, and are far and away better than anyone in and around their age group.
It's true that McDavid is the obviously better player, but we're talking Crosby-Malkin instead of Crosby-Stamkos in terms of difference.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well I mean Marner and Matthews combined are obviously better than McDavid, and by quite a lot. You can get into salaries and replacement level players but I think it's still better to take the two all else being equal.

Last edited:
Reactions: The S5

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Can we stop making polls around McDavid and Matthews? There's no comparison, no matter who you add on Matthews' side. McDavid is hands down the best player in the league and Matthews isn't even a top 5 C yet.

Lol, bothered much?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Can we stop making polls around McDavid and Matthews? There's no comparison, no matter who you add on Matthews' side. McDavid is hands down the best player in the league and Matthews isn't even a top 5 C yet.

What an excellent argument for McDavid, so McDavid is better than Matthews, therefore McDavid>>>>>>Matthews+anyone. I guess McDavid>>>>>>Matthews and Crosby too right?

Besides, if this is so clear, just let the poll run it's course.

Or, if you don't like polls about McDavid, DON'T ENTER THEM.

I hope this has helped.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The difference is not that significant, no matter how many times that notion is repeated.

McDavid, Matthews and Eichel are closer than most believe, and are far and away better than anyone in and around their age group.
It's true that McDavid is the obviously better player, but we're talking Crosby-Malkin instead of Crosby-Stamkos in terms of difference.

It's Crosby vs Toews

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
There's zero comparison to be had between McDavid and either of those players. Completely different calibers.

Maybe try a poll with Matthews, Marner and Rielly or Nylander vs McDavid if you really want to get that desperation poll win.

McDavid hands down.

Funny because Crosby struggled to win with another generational center, but if you downgraded him even further who knows if he even ends up winning one cup on his own.

Meanwhile Kane and Toews despite being far lesser players were able to will their teams to victories.

It's an interesting though experiment, but I know some people really have their lives wrapped up in men who slap around rubber discs, so I can understand why some would take it the wrong way and really get sensitive over it.

We'll see at the end of the year what happens though, but this is in no way an easy choice.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
if you think McDavid and Matthews+Marner have even comparable impacts on a team, then you obviously go with McDavid. being able to more or less match two players while only taking up 1 roster spot makes him more valuable by default. I'm not really sure he does that though

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Crosby VS Malkin + Gaudreau

I'll take the latter, no matter how good the former is for a rebuilding team

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
if you think McDavid and Matthews+Marner have even comparable impacts on a team, then you obviously go with McDavid. being able to more or less match two players while only taking up 1 roster spot makes him more valuable by default. I'm not really sure he does that though

Well of course not, a point per game player plus an additional 70 points seems to add up to quite a bit more than 108. Even combining an average top 6 winger with McDavid would arguably still not be in his favour, and that's not considering how much more Matthews and Marner will improve. McDavid will too I believe, but he is closer to his peak than they both are so far and by a fair bit I would guess.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I believe there will definitely be more distance between McDavid and Matthews than between Crosby and Malkin, infact I don't think it will be anywhere near that close.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

No they aren't

One of them has scored at least100 points twice with 2 art ross trophies and has gone at least ppg in all seasons played
The others haven't even scored 70 points
Your math is off by a lot

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

What an ugly comparison
Matthews is no where near as good as Malkin
Malkin's first 3 seasons were
85 points

marner hasn't done anything to prove he's as good as Johnny g either

You guys need to take a step back and look at what McDavid has done in comparison

Reactions: Lays

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
No need to be salty just because McDavid makes Matthews look like a chump ;)

Not really.

If this thread was the way reality worked, we can extrapolate it further:

McDavid>Matthews+Marner
Drai>Nylander
RNH=Kadri
Nurse, Klefbom, Sekejra, Larsson>Rielly, Zai, Hainsey, Gardiner
Talbot<Anderson
Maroon<JVR

The idea that McDavid is better to build around than Matthews and Marner was tested last year with the two similar cores competing, we saw the results, despite Edmonton's core potentially being even slightly better.

If I'm right and McDavid is just a better player than Matthews (not making him look like a chump as you put it), then Marner puts that duo over the top considering that Matthews is the better goal scorer and has similar enough p/60 numbers that getting a 70 point 2nd year winger that got demoted for nearly 25% of the year to the 4th line.

But don't let me bring up other facts than points, excuse me bringing up TOI, PP TOI, goals and taking the conclusion of this thread and running with it.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
McDavid. Starting with McDavid doesn't mean you can't continue to draft, or that you can't acquire talent through other means.

McDavid is, by far, the best player here. Start with the best player. Go from there. You aren't going to get another player like him. The same can't really be said of Matthews or Marner. It may be difficult, but they're out there. There is only one McDavid.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Not really.

If this thread was the way reality worked, we can extrapolate it further:

McDavid>Matthews+Marner
Drai>Nylander
RNH=Kadri
Nurse, Klefbom, Sekejra, Larsson>Rielly, Zai, Hainsey, Gardiner
Talbot<Anderson
Maroon<JVR

The idea that McDavid is better to build around than Matthews and Marner was tested last year with the two similar cores competing, we saw the results, despite Edmonton's core potentially being even slightly better.

If I'm right and McDavid is just a better player than Matthews (not making him look like a chump as you put it), then Marner puts that duo over the top considering that Matthews is the better goal scorer and has similar enough p/60 numbers that getting a 70 point 2nd year winger that got demoted for nearly 25% of the year to the 4th line.

But don't let me bring up other facts than points, excuse me bringing up TOI, PP TOI, goals and taking the conclusion of this thread and running with it.

One thing I've learned about this site is that all most all of our players aren't that good, and are definitely overrated.

Somehow that group of players still manages to be one of the best and most exciting teams in the league.

Oh, and they are somehow all worth extravagant amounts when talking contracts, even though they aren't that good.

If you come to mainboards HF for facts, you're going to leave dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad