Starting A Franchise: Matthews+Marner VS McDavid

Who Would You Rather Start a Franchise With?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I believe there will definitely be more distance between McDavid and Matthews than between Crosby and Malkin, infact I don't think it will be anywhere near that close.
Ok and I believe the distance will be less than what you think. It's all opinionated. No one knows the truth.

It's outstanding how other fans think Matthews' will get $12M minimum or Mcdavid money in FA, but also argue he's no where close. Ridiculous.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
McDavid. I want the best player on the planet. I am confident I can build a great team around him.

Reactions: MC2D

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Oh shut up.

He's not wrong. That's not an equivalent comparison from you.

The difference between Crosby and Malkin is much, much smaller than the difference between Matthews and McDavid. Malkin has outright shown he can be one of the best players in the league, and he has the individual awards to back that up.

That's just not a good argument for why someone should pick Matthews and Marner over McDavid.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
What an ugly comparison
Matthews is no where near as good as Malkin
Malkin's first 3 seasons were
85 points

marner hasn't done anything to prove he's as good as Johnny g either

You guys need to take a step back and look at what McDavid has done in comparison
No they aren't

One of them has scored at least100 points twice with 2 art ross trophies and has gone at least ppg in all seasons played
The others haven't even scored 70 points
Your math is off by a lot

Did McDavid score 102 and 120 points in his rookie and sophmore seasons? If not, why are you not offended by that comparison as well?

And didn't Matthews score 40 goals as a teenager on a team that the previous year set records for offensive ineptitude?

It's sad that people can't take the moral out of an analogy and analyze the literal parts of the comparison.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
What really confuses me is this:

McDavid is the indisputed best player in the league.
Draisaitl is supposedly a top notch #1 centre that is either employed alongside McDavid or as their 2nd line centre, thus making the team more balanced and harder to match up against.
RNH was drafted #1 overall and is a damn good #2 centre who is usually put in the #3 hole. This also adds to balance and makes it harder to match up against.
The defense is miles better than Toronto's. That's not debatable as Nurse, Klefbom and Larsson are better than Rielly, Gardiner and whatever it was that played in Zaitzev's body suit last year.
Talbot was supposedly a Vezina caliber goalie.

The Leafs ended the season with 105 points while the Oilers ended up with 78 points.

Marner, the player who is laughed at here in this poll led the Leafs in scoring. They didn't have another magical unicorn of a player who scored 100+ and drove this team to 105 points.
In fact, Marner and Matthews had to share in a role on the team. They were definitely it's main engines, but they were not given the offensive freedom and opportunity to maximize their potential last season or the one beforehand.

We've seen that before in teams coached by Babcock. Where superstars had their roles limited in favor of team accomplishments. Does that mean that they're lesser players than the ones who led those tournaments in scoring? No. When given the same offensive roles and freedoms, they're equal if not superior.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Did McDavid score 102 and 120 points in his rookie and sophmore seasons? If not, why are you not offended by that comparison as well?

And didn't Matthews score 40 goals as a teenager on a team that the previous year set records for offensive ineptitude?

It's sad that people can't take the moral out of an analogy and analyze the literal parts of the comparison.

No. Your math is just wrong

So not compare players who score over 100 points to players who have yet to teach 70

It's simple math. Don't make it harder than it needs to be

Reactions: dukeofjive

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
No. Your math is just wrong

So not compare players who score over 100 points to players who have yet to teach 70

It's simple math. Don't make it harder than it needs to be

There's math involved in this?

There's math to saying Mario was to Wayne what Sakic was to Yzerman?
There's math to saying that Matthews is to McDavid what Malkin has been to Crosby?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby VS Malkin + Gaudreau

I'll take the latter, no matter how good the former is for a rebuilding team

The gap between McDavid and Matthews is greater (at this point) than the gap between Crosby and Malkin was. So I'm not sure that analogy fits, though I get what you were going for.

Reactions: dukeofjive

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Auston and Mitch

Auston and Connor aren’t as far off as people make it out to be

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
There's math involved in this?

There's math to saying Mario was to Wayne what Sakic was to Yzerman?
There's math to saying that Matthews is to McDavid what Malkin has been to Crosby?

Yes there is math to it
Where have you been lol
Math can be applied to everything
And it's also figure of speech

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
McDavid is definitely better than Matthews and Marner, but the difference isn't big enough for me to take him over both of them. Depth is what (usually) wins championships. McDavid would have to be scoring at least 130 points every year for me to take him over two guys who will likely be consistent 90-100 point players.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Mcdavid is signing for his favorite team growing up in 8 years anyways.

So really the leafs dont have to make a choice here

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
You should be able to get a Marner-like player to add to McD, but it'd be very hard to add a McDavid-type player

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
McDavid is not that much better to justify taking him over two talented players but...

You won't get both Matthews and Marner for the price of McDavid's contract. If in some bizarro world you could get both Matthews and Marner signed for a combined value equal to that of McDavid's contract -- then yes Matthew + Marner would be the correct answer -- but it's not.

They're not playing in a "vacuum" i.e. McDavid is not playing by himself, nor will Matthews and Marner be playing without another player on the opposite wing. Matthews + Marner is one less player to sign/acquire, but you'll have less money to do it with.

So the only real answer is (for this poll)... McDavid.

Personally I would still build around Crosby over McDavid at this point (lower salary + proven winner) -- but that's just me.

Reactions: MC2D

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You should be able to get a Marner-like player to add to McD, but it'd be very hard to add a McDavid-type player
If it wasn't for McDavid and Eichel it's very easy to say that Marner could have been the 1st overall pick in 2015. So even though he went 4th overall if Marner had gone 1st overall in my hypothetical scenario it would have been similar to when MacKinnon went 1st overall in 2013. So basically I'm saying Marner would still be an impactful player. Obviously not at McDavid's level, but still not a bad choice if that was to happen.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If you're being honest you'd take the Leafs duo.

Oh, well done. A Leafs fan accusing others of being dishonest because they vote for the non-Leafs player. Not only do you get to vote for your player, but you suggest that anyone who doesn’t is lacking objectivity(which, of course, you have, right?)

Don’t kid yourself. McDavid is a pretty easy choice here. Moving forward, that could change. It’s entirely possible that a few years down the road the right choice might be Matthews and Marner. But right now? With what all three players have accomplished? I take the player who is just as young, and who already has a shelf worth of NHL trophies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It's funny; because if you put Matthews + Tavares vs McDavid; Hfboards would vote Matthews + Tavares; based on the results of latest edmonton vs Toronto poll. But all leaf fans know; Matthews and Marner have more value long term then Tavares.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Auston and Mitch

Auston and Connor aren’t as far off as people make it out to be

Perhaps not as far off as some people make it out to be, but the gap is certainly bigger than some Toronto fans are suggesting.

That middle ground? Still has McDavid winning the poll. Neither Matthews or Marner has done enough to justify them over McDavid. Not when you factor in salaries, future opportunity to add talent, and so on. It isn’t just McDavid vs. Matthews and Marner. That’s just where you’re starting, and we’ve seen what a team like Pittsburgh can do building around the best player in the world. You don’t just stop building.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What an excellent argument for McDavid, so McDavid is better than Matthews, therefore McDavid>>>>>>Matthews+anyone. I guess McDavid>>>>>>Matthews and Crosby too right?

Besides, if this is so clear, just let the poll run it's course.

Or, if you don't like polls about McDavid, DON'T ENTER THEM.

I hope this has helped.

Unless you are proposing that McDavid is going to always play shorthanded your point is almost meaningless. You are talking about starting a franchise here which means you will be building around these players. Every GM in the League would choose McDavid in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad