Weekes: Stars making a move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I’m not ruling out the possibility of Robertson signing for well below market because of income tax reasons and most of you freaking the f*** out for it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Lol again. Robertson so much more valuable an asset. Not even in same time zone of value.

And I’m someone that thinks Nylander is pretty darn good and on a reasonable contract.
why tho? they are both scoring wingers?

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Kinda depends... they would have had a little over $8M to re-sign Robertson if they went with a standard/conservative 22-man roster with the cheapest filler options. But if they want to keep 23 and further if they want to accommodate some of the young guns who are a tad pricier than some of their filler options, then it would eat into that a little bit.

Moving Cap would benefit them on the the Robertson front, certainly. It wouldn't have been impossible to sign him for 8x$8M-ish previously, but if they have decided they truly want to keep some of Johnston/Bourque/Stankoven and also run a full 23-man roster, and that they are willing to lock up Robertson at more of a "premium" price than a "fair/bargain" price... then yeah, they would need to move Cap. And giving up something to get rid of Khudobin is the easiest way. I imagine they hoped Khudobin would fail his physical or something. But if that ship has sailed, their hand might be forced now.
Khudobin was sent down to the minors before his season-ending injury, so I believe they can't get LTIR relief from his contract unless he is on the NHL roster at some point.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
they are going to have to pay someone to take him. I guess buyer was a loose term. Maybe they found a taker of dobby.
Oh yeah, I know he won't return value. But more curious as to whether it is a pure dump, or a guy who some team might see as a possible viable NHL player for this season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
For someone not 100% up to speed on the Stars, do they need to move cap to resign Robertson?
If so what are their options?

Right now they have about 7.8m in cap space so depending on what the extension looks like, maybe they can move Khudobin or someone else to fit him in if hes looking for more than 8m per year
If they send Khudobin down, they'll have just under 9 mil. That number will go up or down slightly depending on who they keep on defense.

Moving Khudobin would be ideal, but they can probably make it work without that. Unless Robertson is getting 9 mil, then yeah, something will have to give.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
why tho? they are both scoring wingers?
Robertson is a complete player.

Not a perimeter dancer like William. Nylander has a lot of skill and scores goals but he’s still limited and not nearly as complete a player. And he’s older.

It not even close on value. Toronto adds a major asset to such a deal with those two involved. Major asset.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like signing Robertson, as most have said. It seems like it would be folly if it were anything dealing him away.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Robertson is a complete player.

Not a perimeter dancer like William. Nylander has a lot of skill and scores goals but he’s still limited and not nearly as complete a player. And he’s older.

It not even close on value. Toronto adds a major asset to such a deal with those two involved. Major asset.
Nylander is bigger and stronger and so far in camp it shows, he is not playing the perimeter, he has adapted more of a Matthews lean in power game.
I wouldn't be shocked at all if Nylander out points Marner this yr

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nylander is bigger and stronger and so far in camp it shows, he is not playing the perimeter, he has adapted more of a Matthews lean in power game.
I wouldn't be shocked at all if Nylander out points Marner this yr
Then why would Toronto trade him? By your odd logic, it’s now Marner for Robertson then?

Today, Nylander’s value is no where near what Robertson is. Maybe in 50 games if he’s revamped style consistently and is thriving as a more complete player.

Today. Lol. Nope. Having a good preseason vs Habs AHL players isn’t some definitive sign of a new and improved player.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Did he look decent ?

Habs maybe need depth on goalie and Khudobin was a Kent Hughes client
I think Habs will run with what they have. Primeau needs an opportunity to get some games and I cant see them cutting Montembeault out of their starting rotation. Maybe they bring in Khudobin to get an asset and backup in the AHL, which might be all that you meant.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I'm calling a deal with Arizona to acquire Chychrun that frees up cap space and enables them to sign Robertson.

Prospects, picks, a couple of big contracts going to Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad