Confirmed with Link: Stars fire Jim Montgomery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
This is crazy. Got a text telling me the Stars fired their coach and I thought it must have been a mistake or an assistant got caught.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This is crazy. Got a text telling me the Stars fired their coach and I thought it must have been a mistake or an assistant got caught.

I thought it was Aprils fools or some other dumb joke when it popped up. The team is truely very good at keeping things quiet.

Reactions: Henderson33

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Does this buy Nill & co. another year if we miss the playoffs now?
Doubt it. The team is still Nills baby, and if it fails, it's still on him
It's not as if Monty is/was the reason we'd be a PO team vs a Lotto Team.
In fact the reason they likely aren't looking for a new HC is because Nill is probably out pending the year end result, and Tom Doesn't want his new guy to be anchored to Nills hire

Reactions: Dynamite Time

ThatHtownStar

Dec 10, 2019
It’s a specific event that occurred a few days before Sunday, which is when Nill said he became aware of the event. Did Monte pull a Brett Farve?

Reactions: LaTenderness

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Perhaps someone did not like this interview?.. if so pretty weak

White Elephant Afternoon Drive 2019- Monty on Monty - The Ticket Top 10 - Omny.fm

I listened to that interview. I doubt there is anything he said there that is fireable. He sounds like he may have had a few, but even that is speculation.

He gets asked a lot of weird question, and while not immediately dismissing them as one would expect out of an NHL coach, he doesn’t exactly give them anything juicy or scandalous. Unless I missed something.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
The idea that Bowness is the interim coach leads me to believe that he likely won't be the permanent guy next year and that maybe Todd Nelson and Derek Laxdal could be in the running as part of a broader search. It could also be that Nill isn't allowed to find a permanent coach right now.

I think it's interesting that Laxdal has been recalled, too. You'd think it'd be more disruptive to bring him to Dallas right now than not, so maybe there's a future role for him.

I doubt Stevens will be here too long.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hey folks, Canucks fan coming in peace and support. I was scrolling through the Main Board and caught the Title and was as surprised as anyone. I took a quick look at the Thread but as you can imagine it quickly turned into:
giphy.gif

I figured I'd make better use of my time to offer you folks my condolences over this shocking turn of events. You've been on such a nice roll after stumbling out of the gate and I really hope this doesn't knock the team off stride. For them it has to feel like this:

giphy.gif

As for how I feel about the Stars, I know he gets criticized, and sometimes rightly so, but I've loved Jamie ever since I watched him play against the Cougars in the WHL. I am also a huge fan of your boy wonder Miro, so I'd like to see Playoffs in your future this year.

Anyway, all the best as you folks navigate this rough patch ahead starting today, hopefully the team handles it like Calgary did with their coaching change-starting a winning streak (or in your case continuing one).

Cheers from B.C.

Edit:added another GIF for more context.

Last edited:

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
They play a game Saturday night in Dallas. Sunday morning Nill gets a call. Pretty much leaves Saturday night/late night mischief. Old Monty went to places he should not have. I am guessing the Dallas PD will issue a statement soon.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
This makes me sad. So many people's lives are going to be disrupted in big ways. I can't help but think of Jim Montgomery's beautiful family in this—his wife and those four little ones we saw in the initial presser pics. Everything is going to be different for them now. And, whatever it was—I haven't watched the presser yet—any victims in the process and what they might be dealing with. . . Man, this just stinks in general. Sad day to be a Stars fan.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Agreed.

A poster over at 'Lets Go Wings' posted this very same interview...Monty sounds plastered...I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the case.

It seems incomprehensible to me he could have been fired for the audio I heard in that. It was actually a great interview, by the way. And he made sure to steer clear of the 'How much ass does Tyler Seguin get' question as well a couple others that might have gotten him in trouble.

Sure he sounded like he might have been a couple beers deep, but he didn't say anything remotely worthy of losing his job. If they fired him for that, lord help us all.

Reactions: Lo97 and FMichael

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
This makes me sad. So many people's lives are going to be disrupted in big ways. I can't help but think of Jim Montgomery's beautiful family in this—his wife and those four little ones we saw in the initial presser pics. Everything is going to be different for them now. And, whatever it was—I haven't watched the presser yet—any victims in the process and what they might be dealing with. . . Man, this just stinks in general. Sad day to be a Stars fan.
Yep , without any information it’s hard not to feel terrible for the guy . He went from living the dream to having it stripped from him just like that . To think he was preparing for a game this morning is just wild .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce