Post-Game Talk: Stars 3, Pens 0 - The Scuderi Appreciation Thread

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ditto Scuderi. Amirite?

The same standard is applied to everyone. The biggest difference is that only one of these guys was given a real shot at the role in a joke of an open competition for Sid's LW this fall.

Even when Perron was at his worst with us last year, he was still handily outproducing Kunitz over the same period (again on his wrong side when he was playing with Sid, which necessitated Horny's move to Malkin's line, IIRC). GA/60 seems to be your #1 priority when evaluating wingers for Crosby's line, but it sure as hell ain't mine. Personally, I'd like our top line winger to be able to score more than one ES goal in 2015 alongside the best player in the world. Different strokes.

Bennett played with an actual lingering injury all last year, not a ******** iron deficiency, and most of that time beside a center who Malkin couldn't manage to produce with. Prior to last year, Bennett had 27 points in 65 NHL games, good production for a player's first 2 years playing primarily in the bottom 6. But more to the point, he was much better than Kunitz on Thursday, something only you seem to be unable to recognize.

Kunitz and Bennett were a wash on Thursday. Strong firsts. Nothing after that. It doesn't surprise me that nobody else would say this because 14 would get ripped after a 5 goal game right now. There are pages and pages of complaining that Perron isn't on the first line instead of Kunitz. Perron. After THAT game.

However, one of Kunitz and Bennett scores less often, in much more and more favorable ice time, than Arron Asham did at the same point in his career. The other guy is Kunitz.

Over his last two years, Bennett has practically played himself out of the league, no matter his excuses. If anyone had valued him at $1 million, he's gone to an unmatched offer sheet. It never came. His path is the clearest and most immutable of anyone on the team.

1. Come to camp stronger than a wet noodle and not skating like a mangled deer
2. Don't get hurt
3. Quit setting people on the other team up for goals with behind the back passes that don't create offense even when they connect, which is rarely
4. Quit playing on the perimeter and get to the center of the ice or the net

So far, he's done all this, which is admirable.

The next step is to prove he produces enough to get off the fourth line when the roster's healthy. Matching what you'd get out of, oh I don't know, Drew Miller or Steve Downie for a quarter season without getting hurt would be a start.

IF he does this--and not a single second before--you can start talking about moving him up the lineup. UNTIL he does this, we've got between 10 and 12 forwards who score more than he does, all but Perron and perhaps Sprong having better two way games.

As far as "standards," I'm sure you'd show the same patience and belief in Cullen or Bonino, Hell, or Sutter, if they were to score 10 goals in the next hundred or so games, except the complete opposite of that.

As far as Perron, when two guys like him and Kunitz are in a scoring role and not scoring in it, you bet your ass my tiebreaker is "which guy that can't score is less likely to cause the line to go minus."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kunitz and Bennett were a wash on Thursday. Strong firsts. Nothing after that. It doesn't surprise me that nobody else would say this because 14 would get ripped after a 5 goal game right now. There are pages and pages of complaining that Perron isn't on the first line instead of Kunitz. Perron. After THAT game.

And you'd rip Bennett if he had a 5 goal game for his GA/60. ;)

14 wouldn't get ripped if he started contributing something. He doesn't score goals, he doesn't make plays, and he doesn't play well along the boards, all despite consistently being given the most plum icetime in the league. I'm curious as to what you think he does bring to that line other than not getting scored on as much as some of his competition. Apparently that's enough to coast on the first line without scoring until we acquire Andrew Ladd.

However, one of Kunitz and Bennett scores less often, in much more and more favorable ice time, than Arron Asham did at the same point in his career. The other guy is Kunitz.

I can quote superstars who started out with similar production to Bennett too, but I don't feel like engaging in a pointless anecdotal back and forth.

Over his last two years, Bennett has...

...stuff...

IF he does this--and not a single second before--you can start talking about moving him up the lineup. UNTIL he does this, we've got between 10 and 12 forwards who score more than he does, all but Perron and perhaps Sprong having better two way games.

Nah, I can talk about him moving up right now. Know why? Because he's playing well and Kunitz has looked like garbage since last fall, with has one ES goal in 2015. You're holding Bennett to a standard Kunitz hasn't matched in a much more favourable situation.

As far as "standards," I'm sure you'd show the same patience and belief in Cullen or Bonino, Hell, or Sutter, if they were to score 10 goals in the next hundred or so games, except the complete opposite of that.

Cullen and Bonino haven't been playing on Crosby's wing.

As far as Perron, when two guys like him and Kunitz are in a scoring role and not scoring in it, you bet your ass my tiebreaker is "which guy that can't score is less likely to cause the line to go minus."

Except Perron was scoring more than Kunitz despite playing on his wrong side a good portion of the time. You don't need a tiebreaker unless there's a tie.

The bottom line is that Kunitz is the only Pens LW who's proven he can't score with Crosby in 2015 when given a chance long-term. You're content with that because he doesn't get scored on as much as some of our other options, or something. I'm not.

Last edited:

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Last Sunday on TV, DK stated that Sid would love to play with Sprong. If what he said was true, then there goes the idea that Sid is uncomfortable with 2 righty's. Sid has always wanted to play with speed; Sprong and Kessel would be the most speed he has ever played with. Sprong with 87 & 81 would be the best way to maximize Sprong's talent, especially for a brief time span. If the line clicks, Sprong will be here for the long run. If it doesn't click, Sprong is back in juniors, and Fehr is ready and lines adjust anyway.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If I had to guess LHS-Crosby-RHS is the ideal but it would be skipped over if the second RHS was worth it. Or wanting to play with Sprong was just talk... or knowing the Pens it wasn't clearly stated so Kunitz is still top dog.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I badly want a LW that has a RH shot on Sids left wing. Kessel has played LW in the past and done well.

If he doesn't hate that side of the ice, Kessel-Crosby-Hornqvist

Sid naturally comes down the right side. Giving him an option of righty's coming down the middle and left side makes sense.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I remember hearing that Hornqvist played some LW in Nashville but I forget if anyone refuted it or not. He seems like he'd be able to make that switch, he doesn't do much in the neutral zone with the puck anyway. Hornqvist - Crosby - Kessel

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I remember hearing that Hornqvist played some LW in Nashville but I forget if anyone refuted it or not. He seems like he'd be able to make that switch, he doesn't do much in the neutral zone with the puck anyway. Hornqvist - Crosby - Kessel

Perron-Malkin-Sprong

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Derp. That would break MJs system.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I brainfarted and thought Cullen was 11.

He IS. Or should I say, WAS...JOHN Cullen!

I keep doing the same thing in my head. I hear Cullen, I think 11. I see 11, I think Cullen! I keep doing it every game! Meanwhile, 7 is supposed to be Mullen, not Cullen! LOL! I guess I'm just old... :)

UGH!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad