Post-Game Talk: Stars 3, Pens 0 - The Scuderi Appreciation Thread

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Was Kunitz that bad against Dallas? I thought Perron was average to poor. Plotnikov was bad. So unless he was worse than them, I don't see the reason for the tirade right now.

Especially when it's game freaking one.

Every good play that Kessel and Crosby seem to make ends up dying when it touches Kunitz's stick. He was throwing the body and doing some things fine, but only things that would make him decent in a bottom 6 role. He just isn't a top 6 player anymore. And that play in front of Niemi while Crosby was in the slot was just embarassing. He didn't put the puck where Crosby could make a play on it, and he didn't even get a shot on net.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kessel had 6 shots and Crosby didn't particularly look good. I ain't worried.

Plotnikov is adjusting to the NHL with a linemate who speaks his language. And Perron wasn't any better in that game.

Calm down.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Was Kunitz that bad against Dallas? I thought Perron was average to poor. Plotnikov was bad. So unless he was worse than them, I don't see the reason for the tirade right now.

Especially when it's game freaking one.

Yes, people are upset because Chris Kunitz was bad in one single, solitary game against Dallas. That's what the ire is about, not how he's played for more than a season now or anything. We want Kunitz off that line because of one game.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The other options are a kid who doesn't speak English, is one game into NA hockey and struggled himself keeping up with Malkin. You want him trying with two of the fastest players in the game right now? I'd wait a little bit and see how he looks.

Bennett just needs to stay healthy. You could put him with Geno I guess if Plot struggles. I'm fine with that. I don't see the fit with Sid and Kessel. He doesn't play a similar style, nor does he bring what those two need.

Perron wasn't very good last game. When he outplays Kunitz, Ill be right there with you wanting him in that spot over Kunitz.

Personally, I didn't like how Sprong was handled. He should be getting extra shifts in the top 6 to see if he can be a fit there down the line.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I think the real angst is that we all know, based off of previous history, how unlikely this management is to adjust should a player like Kunitz continue to underperform in a given role.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think this board has its head in the sand when it comes to frustration over Kunitz. If there was a player who was clearly better in that role, he'd be there.

There are only question marks and non ideal fits.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There are question marks because NOTHING is ever tried.

Everybody ASSUMES Bennett can't play with Crosby and Kessel, without actually seeing it fail. Except in everybody's imaginations.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I see Bennett's place in the middle six or on another team.

Sid and Kessel need someone to run interference, work the boards and net and help them transition from the D-zone. Doesn't sound like Bennett to me.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The other options are a kid who doesn't speak English, is one game into NA hockey and struggled himself keeping up with Malkin. You want him trying with two of the fastest players in the game right now? I'd wait a little bit and see how he looks.

Bennett just needs to stay healthy. You could put him with Geno I guess if Plot struggles. I'm fine with that. I don't see the fit with Sid and Kessel. He doesn't play a similar style, nor does he bring what those two need.

Perron wasn't very good last game. When he outplays Kunitz, Ill be right there with you wanting him in that spot over Kunitz.

Personally, I didn't like how Sprong was handled. He should be getting extra shifts in the top 6 to see if he can be a fit there down the line.

Some sense, finally. Thank Christ.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Doesn't sound like this incarnation of Kunitz, either. Yet he's a fixture there.

don't you get it, dude? One game is not enough to judge Crosby, Kunitz, Kessel, etc...

but one game IS enough to say that Bennett's place is on another team.

Get with the sound logic, matey.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
really would like to see someone go through bennett's shift last game or this game and point out what's so unremarkable about them. he was about the only one i saw generating anything last game

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
The entire premise of my argument is the idea that Crosby isn't comfortable with playing with 2 righties. That's why I'm saying he'd be uncomfortable with playing with both Kessel and one of Bennett and Perron.

But realistically, that's not an option, because he's going to be playing with Malkin until he's comfortable in the NHL. Plotnikov also has his own issues that make me think he wouldn't work there. My first option would be to trade for someone that fits there, not play someone who sucks or someone who Crosby is uncomfortable with there.

Again, you're not reading what I'm saying. I'm not saying Kunitz should be the LW on Crosby's line. I'm saying it's stupid that you're completely dismissing Crosby's comfort level. Him playing with someone he's uncomfortable with wouldn't be any better than playing with someone that isn't good. You're confusing me saying that you can't dismiss Crosby's comfort level as an endorsement of Kunitz, which it's not.

Sprong's a lefty.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
We don't. But people assume because they refuse to believe an org that just played Scuderi more than Maatta is dumb.

Is it an organizational thing or is it a Johnston thing? I sense there may be a disconnect between ths GM and the HC. The GM says we want to get younger and faster; the HC gives us a slow, 36 yr old LW with no hands. The GM gets the Pens a young, righty d-man in the Sutter deal, and the HC plays a slow, useless relic, lefty thus forcing another lefty to the right side. Similar to trading for a Top 6 LW, who the HC forces to play on the RW, because righty's should play the right side, unless your name is Beau.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing

Kunitz - Crosby - Kessel
Plotnikov - Malkin - Sprong
Perron - Bonino - Hornqvist

Just to see what happens.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh

Agreed, they are wasting his 9 games with him getting less than 10 minutes on the 4th line. Put Sprong with Sid, maximize his speed and the speed on the line. Make use of a rising talent, rather than hoping for the last drop from an empty bottle.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing

Kunitz - Crosby - Kessel
Plotnikov - Malkin - Sprong
Perron - Bonino - Hornqvist

Just to see what happens.

I rather try Kessel with Malkin and see what happens. Horns back to the 1st line, but before the 9 games up i'd like to see a Perron-Crosby-Sprong line, perhaps a Plotnikov-Crosby-Sprong.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think this board has its head in the sand when it comes to frustration over Kunitz. If there was a player who was clearly better in that role, he'd be there.

It would only confound our Junior's HC and lead to more "Deer in the headlights" in game looks. He'd never be able to figure out the need for identifying a change because the system they play is just so damn good!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Ditto Scuderi. Amirite?

Perron also stunk for 75% of last year, while stinking remarkably worse at defense, evidenced by a minus 8 in our uniform, combined with his Yakupov like GA/60 on the Penguins, neither of which were problems Kunitz (or any forwards other than Max "out of the NHL" Lapierre) manifested. Perron also stunk worse than Kunitz on Thursday.

Bennett stunk for both 100% of last year and 100% of the year before, while having the singular distinction of being the only Penguin winger linemate to blank Sidney Crosby at 5 on 5 over the course of an entire season who did not retire the next offseason (Comrie, Pyatt). If that wasn't enough, he's comfortably the least productive forward on the NHL roster, career and per-game career, apart from three rookies, who have played 1 game, 1 game, and 11 games ever. Bennett does look a little better than usual, but a) that's like bragging about being able to hurdle a crack in the sidewalk and b) it doesn't matter how he looks until he starts producing like more than a middle of the road 4th liner, which he doesn't do until he actually does.

If you're going to complain endlessly about Kunitz, at least apply the same standard to everybody, instead of pointing at 3 separate, year-old piles of **** and pretending the 2 bigger piles are actually hot fudge sundays. Jesus.

The same standard is applied to everyone. The biggest difference is that only one of these guys was given a real shot at the role in a joke of an open competition for Sid's LW this fall.

Even when Perron was at his worst with us last year, he was still handily outproducing Kunitz over the same period (again on his wrong side when he was playing with Sid, which necessitated Horny's move to Malkin's line, IIRC). GA/60 seems to be your #1 priority when evaluating wingers for Crosby's line, but it sure as hell ain't mine. Personally, I'd like our top line winger to be able to score more than one ES goal in 2015 alongside the best player in the world. Different strokes.

Bennett played with an actual lingering injury all last year, not a ******** iron deficiency, and most of that time beside a center who Malkin couldn't manage to produce with. Prior to last year, Bennett had 27 points in 65 NHL games, good production for a player's first 2 years playing primarily in the bottom 6. But more to the point, he was much better than Kunitz on Thursday, something only you seem to be unable to recognize.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad