Stars 2019 Training Camp and Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not lousy, but lousy fast. Nill drafted him solely on speed and hope that he would find offensive instincts somewhere. Had a bit of a blind spot there.

Was good to see that chart where someone had Harley ranked 6th in the last draft. For once (twice if you count Nuke) Nill drafted someone rated higher than his pick, or maybe right at it in other rankings, rather than reach a bit (Ty D, Guri, Tufte) as he had the previous few years. Actually, 2017 was probably both a banner draft, AND had top 3 picks right in line with their rankings. (Not that Honka wasn't)

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I’m starting to think we should have just signed Hartman... He’d be a better fit in the bottom six, wouldn’t be constantly injured, and is good for 25-30 points.
He was gone the minute they didn't qualify his rights

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hartman isn't worth his contract Hawks , Preds and Flyers let the guy got in a span of two years. He often plays like a completely idiot costing his team games with dumb penalties. He's a worse Roussel . No need for that. Perry is worth the non-existent risk. If he doesn't get healthy whatever if he does there's upside. Hartman i don't see the upside.

His QO was at 2.5-3 Million AAV. He was def not worth that.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

Fair enough in theory if we could have gotten him at 1.9 I’d prefer him to Perry at 1.5 with bonuses. All in all might work out that Gurianov gets the 4th line RW spot either way due to Perry’s injuries.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Not lousy, but lousy fast. Nill drafted him solely on speed and hope that he would find offensive instincts somewhere. Had a bit of a blind spot there.

Was good to see that chart where someone had Harley ranked 6th in the last draft. For once (twice if you count Nuke) Nill drafted someone rated higher than his pick, or maybe right at it in other rankings, rather than reach a bit (Ty D, Guri, Tufte) as he had the previous few years. Actually, 2017 was probably both a banner draft, AND had top 3 picks right in line with their rankings. (Not that Honka wasn't)
If Nill was drafting based on speed- they would’ve taken Kyle Connor.

Nill and co missed the boat on what everyone else (outside of Boston) knew, Barzal and Connor.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Hartman isn't worth his contract Hawks , Preds and Flyers let the guy got in a span of two years. He often plays like a completely idiot costing his team games with dumb penalties. He's a worse Roussel . No need for that. Perry is worth the non-existent risk. If he doesn't get healthy whatever if he does there's upside. Hartman i don't see the upside.

His QO was at 2.5-3 Million AAV. He was def not worth that.
I don't disagree there's no way he's worth that, but neither is Janmark and they had no problem with qualifying him

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way even though its still a week away the team will more than likely call up somebody for the roadtrip with a back to back following the home opener . Just to be in the clear if something happens since Perry will not be ready for a while after he starts skating . ( which we have no idea when that will be ) . Wonder who that will be . One of the last three guys or someone send down earlier ?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Could be worse, but I don't think I'm a fan right now.

I do hate old, rustic stuff though. This definitely has that vibe. I can respect it, doesn't mean I have to like it though.
Ya I don’t care for it much either . I was hoping for something like a revamped classic stars logo this just looks too random and the D looks weird . It would probably look better without the D in the back .

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think Caamano gets the call up for the road trip. Proved he can play an effective bottom six role and plays both wings.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Caamano gets the call up for the road trip. Proved he can play an effective bottom six role and plays both wings.

My money is on Gardner . He's a safer option and brings something the team doesn't really have all that much as well ( big physical guy ). Well Caamano does have something too since he's kind of an agitator but that can really backfire as well.

Maybe the Texas training camp and pre-season also has some input into this. Probably the Texas coaching staff will recommend someone to call up to management that did well.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
My money is on Gardner . He's a safer option and brings something the team doesn't really have all that much as well.

Maybe the Texas training camp and pre-season also has some input into this. Probably the Texas coaching staff will recommend someone to call up to management that did well.

Yeah I could see that as well I just put Caamano up there because he’s a winger plus has some pro experience (doesn’t matter to me, but I bet it matters to Nill/Monty). If there is a centre injury or Dowling can’t cut it I want to see Gardner get some games. Funny enough I wasn’t sure why the Stars signed him a couple months ago now I see why.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
What’s the odds Gury out scores Nukes goals from last year?

Only way he doesn't is if he barely plays any games this season. Gurianov actually has a good shot and gets a lot of breakaways, so even if he can't finish at this level he should get lucky eventually.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Only way he doesn't is if he barely plays any games this season. Gurianov actually has a good shot and gets a lot of breakaways, so even if he can't finish at this level he should get lucky eventually.

I know was just joking

Our 4th line should outscore last years 4th liners easily this year

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Monty said Janmark will get a top six chance tonight with Seguin and Rads, Dicky to play with Comeau and Faksa to see what that looks like.

As a former 19 goal scorer, I get the thought process. If, like Ritchie last year, Janny has a down year, he'll be gone, but with no one showing real top six potential, the hope is the guy who scored like a top six guy can find it again more readily than Dickey, Guri, or even Perry due to age when he comes back. Good luck, Janny! Will be great to see you return to offensive form.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Monty said Janmark will get a top six chance tonight with Seguin and Rads, Dicky to play with Comeau and Faksa to see what that looks like.

As a former 19 goal scorer, I get the thought process. If, like Ritchie last year, Janny has a down year, he'll be gone, but with no one showing real top six potential, the hope is the guy who scored like a top six guy can find it again more readily than Dickey, Guri, or even Perry due to age when he comes back. Good luck, Janny! Will be great to see you return to offensive form.

Janmark will be with Hintz and Radulov

So that means we probably see:

Benn-Seguin-Pavelski
Janmark-Hintz-Radulov
Dickinson-Faksa-Comeau
Cogliano-Dowling-Gurianov

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Polak
Oleksiak-Sekera

Last edited:

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I know it doesn't matter as much in 2019 but is Dallas a little light in the pants up front? We just watched an extremely heavy and hard hitting team win the Stanley Cup. I look up front and I see Benn, Faksa and Comeau who can play a heavy game. I guess Perry when he gets back.

Is this a non issue or something to watch going forward?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I know it doesn't matter as much in 2019 but is Dallas a little light in the pants up front? We just watched an extremely heavy and hard hitting team win the Stanley Cup. I look up front and I see Benn, Faksa and Comeau who can play a heavy game. I guess Perry when he gets back.

Is this a non issue or something to watch going forward?

Dickinson is a more much physical guy than he's given credit for and he's not exactly small either. Hintz as well . He's a big and fast guy who also throws hits.

Its what the Stars drafted for years now when it was available. Big guys who can skate well.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I'm irritated that Harley is already gone since he makes them a better team. Maybe his play wouldn't hold up in the regular season but that's why you let him play nine games. Also if Polak is paired with Heiskanen instead of Sekera I'll be more irritated.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Benn on the top line provides some bulk and toughness, so that's good, except it may further limit production and shorten his effective career (which will happen no matter where he is put.)

Line 2 looks like it may occasionally need some bulk if getting picked on, but I guess they can always put Polak, Sekera and/or Oleksiak out for protection when they are on the ice, no?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm irritated that Harley is already gone since he makes them a better team. Maybe his play wouldn't hold up in the regular season but that's why you let him play nine games. Also if Polak is paired with Heiskanen instead of Sekera I'll be more irritated.

Sekera makes Oleksiak look competent and having a competent useable third pairing is a good thing. Polak needs all the help he can get when he's on the ice 5on5 .

An Oleksiak-Polak pairing is unuseably bad.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
We’ve got a pretty big team we just need everyone to commit to playing playing physical come playoff time. That’s what St. Louis did and it helped get them a cup.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

No suprise he didn't get picked up . Pretty good AHL defenseman though and Stars got by with him playing a limited role last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad