Stars 2019 Training Camp and Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Camp starts today, and there is news.

Nill said Johns won't be skating and they won't answer any more questions about him. That means he's done.

Nill also said Honka has asked for a trade. Honka is not at camp.

And Perry will miss a couple of weeks with a broken foot.

Great start to camp so far...

Reactions: Smelling Salt

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Super excited to here the old guy whose already slow has a foot injury and will miss training camp/pre season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Two things we all suspected, and the Perry injuries have already started...

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Perry not going to hit his bonus games played targets.. Haha

Opens the door for Robertson. Gurianov is locked.

Johns is toast as I have said for weeks.

Honka... we have been trying to trade you for 6 months you dont need to request nothing.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Everyone knows Perry isn’t going to play all 82. We all know Honka is done in Dallas, and we all knew pretty much Johns ain’t coming back

So really it’s not a bad start. Let’s f***ing go boyssss

Reactions: Dynamite Time

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Didn't expect Perry to be injured THIS fast :laugh: .

The rest oh well Honka we all knew and no surpise with Johns . Sucks but nothing you can do.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Jeez was hoping Perry would at least be healthy for opening night but that's clearly not gonna happen

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Is it rare? Happens often with sign and trades all the time.

The reason it didn't work out is because Honka couldn't show he could defend against NHL opponents to three different coaches. But yea, blame the coach.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not only that his offensive game didn't produce much either and his really stupid brainfarts made everything worse.

Not point in having an offensive d who doesn't score or play more and is terrible at defending as well.

He had his chances last season . I doubt and he didn't show anything. Stars and Stars fan are done with him .

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Is it rare? Happens often with sign and trades all the time.

The reason it didn't work out is because Honka couldn't show he could defend against NHL opponents to three different coaches. But yea, blame the coach.

And literally through each kind of coach lmao.

Offensive minded Lindy Ruff
Defensive minded Hitchcock
And the hybrid man Montogomery.

All 3 of them gave up on him. Hard to pull the wool over our eyes on that one.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
"Extraordinary skill"? Let's calm down there, Mr. Agent. Honka couldn't think the game quickly enough even if he could stop time.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
It wasn't only an issue in the NHL/with NHL coaches either. At the World Championships last year.. he lost minutes game after game.. he sucked..turns pucks over with bad passes..

He just isn't that good.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It baffles me how some people think Honka is good. The advanced stats stuff with him is out of control.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think some of the numbers guys are really bad at reading their own statistics and some of the people who follow them are even worse. Like advanced stats are gospel and you have to build your team around them.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think some of the numbers guys are really bad at reading their own statistics and some of the people who follow them are even worse. Like advanced stats are gospel and you have to build your team around them.

Love the new profile pic

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

Player A signs contract
Micah Blake McCurdy's Twitter - Player A is a very good 8th liner, get a load of these heat maps

Reactions: Satan and serp

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I’m neutral on Honkagate. I think there’s more to him than was shown and he needed more of a leash (and the three coaches but is bullsh because he was only 20 when Ruff got fired), but you’ve gotta show more and earn your spot. Tough situation but this kind of thing happens to every team. He’s the kind of guy that’ll get traded to Ottawa or some other no name team for nothing and blossom.

Also re: McCurdy- he had a good point in this tweet-

The issue is that in a game of inches like hockey those two mistakes can cost you points.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffP

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It baffles me how some people think Honka is good. The advanced stats stuff with him is out of control.
Yeah, the main problem with advanced stats is there are so many out there that you can get fixated on individual stats without having any idea of how important they are to the bigger picture. What we need is someone to put weighted values on these stats to help us understand how much each of these stats correlate to a win. We also need there to be stronger and brighter warnings on these low-sample-size, fan-generated stats that make for some pretty charts but sure are disturbing when you peek under the hood to find out the data came from a dude watching 10 games a guy played and tabulating events as though that data can be extrapolated to put entire seasons side by side.

I’m neutral on Honkagate. I think there’s more to him than was shown and he needed more of a leash (and the three coaches but is bullsh because he was only 20 when Ruff got fired), but you’ve gotta show more and earn your spot. Tough situation but this kind of thing happens to every team. He’s the kind of guy that’ll get traded to Ottawa or some other no name team for nothing and blossom.
It's worth keeping in mind most of those games played under Ruff came during the season over the course of a couple of call ups. If Ruff really loved him, I think he wouldn't have twice been sent back down.

Also re: McCurdy- he had a good point in this tweet-

The issue is that in a game of inches like hockey those two mistakes can cost you points.

The other side of the analytics thing has to be the lack of results. If he's putting up awesome offensive analytics that aren't resulting in goals being scored, is it just back luck, bad teammates, or something else?

Last edited:
Reactions: LatvianTwist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad