Post-Game Talk: Stars 2, Pens 1 - The Razor Made It Bearable Edition

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
The barking at officials needs to stop. Whether it's fair or not, refs are going to remember guys who piss them off. I don't think there's some league-wide conspiracy against the Pens to either call them for bogus penalties or look the other way when the other team does something that should be called, but I do very much think refs get sick and tired of the petulant whining/barking at them time after time.

We've needed a coach who could keep our guys composed and playing disciplined, successful hockey for far too many years now. MJ has proven he's just another guy not fit for the job.

Is it ideal that we need to look for a certain coach to rid the team of it's nasty habits? No. Ideally we could bring in whomever and still run a successful team. Fact of the matter is that we need a Babcock--as much of a pipe dream as it may be. We need a guy players are gonna implicitly listen to and respect, and buy into whatever he has to say based on the guy's merit alone.

There's a lot of things this team needs to do in order to become a legit contender again, but I truly think throwing insane money at Babcock this summer is very high on the list. If he wants a truckload of money, and more than just coaching responsibility (partial or full GM duties), so be it. He's a future Hall of Fame coach who is exactly what we need, to a T. You go out and get that guy at any cost if you think he's even remotely available--wine and dine him with the private jet/tour of the city song and dance. Do whatever you've gotta do.

Sorry to join late but honestly, if we didn't respect SCotty F-ckin Bowman, who TF are we going to respect?
I'm for Babs as much as the next guy but jeebus, I fear it will be another Inmates stringing up the Warden scenario....again.

Seriously, that is the history of this team and the guy that sent Bowman packing (to win multiple Cups elsewhere) is still running the ship.

Why would we even dream getting Babcock would change things?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
if MJ were to be fired today, it wouldn't be to make life harder on the team.

so HC: Sidney Crosby. Assistant HC: Evgeni Malkin. Head of defense: Robby Scuderi. Head of PP: Craiggers McAdamsPants

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The most disturbing thing for me this season is the multiple reports that JR needed to tread carefully about making trades and upsetting the locker room.

Kunitz isn't playing badly because he's disgruntled or has an iron deficiency. It's because he's old and never had great hands to begin with. He isn't going to magically get better. Maybe he gets some puck luck soon and into the playoffs, but it will be mostly that, luck.

How they fix things? No idea. They made up their minds about Despres and should have waited and gotten max value, and added if need be for a winger. Now they are going to waste away BB. So that leaves KK, who I have severe doubts about and Blueger.

Blueger has a lot of tools, but will need time and he isn't a grinder type. So basically he's ****ed in this org. Long term, it's not promising with how they have handled Despres, BB and the atrocious drafting from 07-11.

As for the present...

If it were me, I would say, well... The doc said Comeau's wrist won't heal until the summer and he's struggling. Kunitz is cooked and done. The offense is dried up and this **** isn't working. Let's see what we have in BB before we ship him off and put a big body like Winnik with Crosby. When everyone is healthy:

Winnik Crosby Horny
Perron Malkin BB
Kunitz Sutter Comeau

If it doesn't work whatever. No one is producing right now. So no one deserves top six spots aside from Malkin, Crosby, Perron and Horny. So do something different and add more skill and a big body to your top six. What is the worst that happens? They get shut out?

On D I sit Scuds when DP is back and he only gets back in if there is an injury.

No more of this Get Along Gang mentality.

1. Exactly what I'd do with a top nine.

2. I've got a good feeling about Sundqvist. I watched him this preseason and saw Staal his rookie year, minus the ego about where he plays. Great irony is that it would've taken about six weeks if he'd stayed to figure out he was one of the team's four best wingers.

if MJ were to be fired today, it wouldn't be to make life harder on the team.

so HC: Sidney Crosby. Assistant HC: Evgeni Malkin. Head of defense: Robby Scuderi. Head of PP: Craiggers McAdamsPants

1. You're not wrong.

2. Sid already is HC. :)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Jesse Marshall @jmarshfof
The Penguins have the highest shot-differential of any team in the NHL in March. They have the highest scoring chance differential as well.

No team has been better in possession for the month of March than the Penguins. They have the 4th highest number of raw scoring chances.

I recognize that not thinking doomsday thoughts at all times isn't much in vogue on this board, but good lord are people overreacting to a slump.

You know what the point of analytics is?

It's not to tell you what you SHOULD be thinking. That's what scouting is for.

It's to confirm what you think based on what you're seeing OR to make you rethink what you're seeing (where perhaps there isn't consensus among decision makers) OR to serve as a tie breaker (where the eye test tells you two players are relatively equal and you need to pick an acquisition or a draftee).

Moebius

Aug 16, 2011
You know what the point of analytics is?

It's not to tell you what you SHOULD be thinking. That's what scouting is for.

It's to confirm what you think based on what you're seeing OR to make you rethink what you're seeing (where perhaps there isn't consensus among decision makers) OR to serve as a tie breaker (where the eye test tells you two players are relatively equal and you need to pick an acquisition or a draftee).

No, you're confusing confirmatory data analysis with data analysis in general. Statistics are just statistics. Numbers are just numbers. You do exploratory data analysis to find things, and then you form hypotheses (or maybe even before exploratory data analysis, if you like), and then you do confirmatory.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

No he's not, and it's really getting tiresome reading this stuff. I get people want to have fun, but my advice to people who find things tiresome is to just ignore it, but I'd rather not have to do that in this case.

The organization is run how it's run from the tip-top.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
WOW, pretty ground breaking discovery by FATSO, so you mean to tell me a guy who was here for 5+ years and had his system in stalled and ingrained in the players is doing better than a 1st year coach 60-ish games in! :amazed:

YOURRRRRRR PITTSBURGHHHHHHH MEDIAAAAAAA :shakehead

He should have tweeted how many cups we've won in the past 5 years with that form but he probably can't count that high. :laugh:

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I had to rush some work and missed the third - but had it running in the background, it SOUNDED better. But the first two periods were appalling.

May 10, 2010
He should have tweeted how many cups we've won in the past 5 years with that form but he probably can't count that high. :laugh:

The purpose of that tweet is not to convince you of anything, teach you anything, or inform you of anything. The purpose is to rile you up. You guys fall for it repeatedly. Media doesn't report these days. It trolls for interest and attention.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The Penguins losing streak was kept going thanks to a spirited performance by the Dallas Stars. The Penguins came into this game having scored 1 goal in three games and little changed here. The Penguins didn't really threaten the Dallas net at times and it was a surprise that it wasn't a bigger win for the Stars.

The first period was terrible for Pittsburgh and possibly the worst period under Johnston in terms of performances. The Penguins were dominated in the first period by a dominant early defensive performance from the Dallas Stars which saw the Penguins restricted to seven shots, five of which came in the last 3:12 minutes. The most disappointing part of the first period was the abhorrent power-play which saw a total of 0 shots. Inexcusable.​

Read More; http://t.co/XAj5gBx792

Bring on Saturday

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The Penguins have the highest shot-differential of any team in the NHL in March. They have the highest scoring chance differential as well.

No team has been better in possession for the month of March than the Penguins. They have the 4th highest number of raw scoring chances.

I recognize that not thinking doomsday thoughts at all times isn't much in vogue on this board, but good lord are people overreacting to a slump.

Exactly, JMarsh. If this teams top guys can stay healthy, they have the ability to put up a decent fight in the playoffs.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Exactly, JMarsh. If this teams top guys can stay healthy, they have the ability to put up a decent fight in the playoffs.

I don't see us beating any team that employs a fast, relentless forecheck against us. Let's hope we don't run into the either of the NY teams.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
1. Exactly what I'd do with a top nine.

2. I've got a good feeling about Sundqvist. I watched him this preseason and saw Staal his rookie year, minus the ego about where he plays. Great irony is that it would've taken about six weeks if he'd stayed to figure out he was one of the team's four best wingers.

1. You're not wrong.

I don't know man. I think Winnik has been obscenely bad. He's OK on the PK but that's about it. So far he's shown me that he can collect a pay check.

I think a problem for the Pens right now is that they're almost to net front. Goalies play off their knees now a days...the Pens have to find a way to get pucks up in the corners. The Pens put pucks to the net and whack away. That's an offensive scheme for role players.

When the last time we've seen the Pens lure a goalie out and pass to someone back door.

Or send someone to the net to open up room in the high slot and then pick corners from there like Sykora used to.

It blows mind that the Pens have blown a draft on a team that is slow, soft and insanely boring to watch.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No he's not, and it's really getting tiresome reading this stuff. I get people want to have fun, but my advice to people who find things tiresome is to just ignore it, but I'd rather not have to do that in this case.

The organization is run how it's run from the tip-top.

That comment was only made to elicit that reaction. :wedgie:

I actually think the issue is a combination of them divining what they think he wants and not saying no when he gravitates in certain directions. I also think if you had a real coach, then that would be very clear. Example . . . if a guy like Babcock told Sid, for the good of the team, to do something that wouldn't be his first or ideal choice, then Sid would do it.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Thankfully the NHL's boring product supersedes the Pens buffoonery so I'm not all that upset anymore. I can't wait until the Pens get eliminated and I am done with this garbage sport.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
WOW, pretty ground breaking discovery by FATSO, so you mean to tell me a guy who was here for 5+ years and had his system in stalled and ingrained in the players is doing better than a 1st year coach 60-ish games in! :amazed:

YOURRRRRRR PITTSBURGHHHHHHH MEDIAAAAAAA :shakehead

Guys, Steigy said something this morning on the radio that really caught me by surprise, although when I think better it is NHL at its best.

Steigy said that Yohe told him that after he tweeted that stat about drop in PPs and I guess goals per game, he got called from I think it was Burke or something like that, aasking him WHY? he is tweeting that. Sounded like they tried to prevent him from tweeting stuff like that. If that's the true, that just tells you how f.... up this league is...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I used to live in Dallas. Razor is one of the best in the business, and he's not a homer, not in the least.

Yes he is. I've been saying that for a long time...

This is when you know a beat guy is clueless.

March doesn't matter when May/June always ends in an embarrassing fashion. Let's now pine for the guy who had five years to get it done and kept ******** the bed.

...in contrast to Pittsburgh's clueless, PR-driven media, on-air or print.

It was like watching an AHL team vs the Dallas Stars.

You pretty much WERE watching an AHL team. :laugh:

Perfect mix of guys past their prime / too old to cut it, and younger guys who shouldn't make the cut on a good team. Plus a few actual NHL players. Gotta love it. :thumbu:

This team doesn't deserve to make the playoffs.

I think it would be hilarious if the Pens suddenly hit a horrible losing streak and the Pens finish 9th.

It's the only way this team will ever get a fat dose of humble pie. It then loses out on Playoff revenue, it's all this team cares about, $$.

I actually think it would help more than hurt... IF (and this is a big if)... Mario has the balls to recognize that his plans and vision for how the Penguins are going to best the rest of the NHL, are badly flawed. To the point where he needs to hire real hockey people to run the organization and just let them do their jobs / get these Carolina nimrods (and our hold-overs from the Bylsma era) the F out here. About the only one I'd be OK staying is Guerin, assuming he's not in a personnel decision-making capacity.

Some highlights from the GDT:

Dallas PBP guy still trying to figure out why Letang didn't shoot

Stars announcing team...." Ugly pp by the Pens and then get 3 guys trapped! YIKES.”

The Stars' announcers ripping into Kunitz.

"One goal in his last 22 games for Kunitz." "Yeah, well, he looks like it whenever he's touched the puck tonight."

"That's the third turnover by Kunitz already here"

Razor is talking about how the Pens pp does not move.

This stars announcer is actually educational breaking down what the pens are failing at each time it happens, who is screwing up, why, etc.

After a turnover . . . "I think Kunitz forgot they were wearing white tonight"

Stars announcers are astonished that Letang actually shot it.

Razor: The end of the period was "chocked full of idiocy by the Penguins"

Razor: "Pens are undisciplined and kind of arrogant"

:laugh:

Yep, sounds about right. Dallas' PBP and Color guys >>>>> ours.

Priceless.. Can we pluck them from Dallas and get them on ROOT next year??

YOU WISH! (Actually, I wish too. I might actually pay for that privilege. I will NEVER pay for another Center Ice game called by Steigerwald and Errey. They are a ****ing embarrassment.)

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Guys, Steigy said something this morning on the radio that really caught me by surprise, although when I think better it is NHL at its best.

Steigy said that Yohe told him that after he tweeted that stat about drop in PPs and I guess goals per game, he got called from I think it was Burke or something like that, aasking him WHY? he is tweeting that. Sounded like they tried to prevent him from tweeting stuff like that. If that's the true, that just tells you how f.... up this league is...

That can't be right.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Which Burke?

I have a hard time believing Brian's reading tweets from a Pittsburgh beat writer. Although, he did sue someone named "slobberface" for badmouthing him on a Leafs message board, so maybe. Still, he's out in Calgary and Calgary's an aggressive, goal scoring club, so it doesn't fit.

If it was Patrick, I fully believe that happened. They need to get that dope out of the NHL offices ("as you see here, such and such makes a right cross-over when the puck hits off the boards, which indicates"...Jesus, just shut the f up. You don't know what that indicates). I liked him better when he was founding charities and getting fired by them.

Last edited:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Which Burke?

I have a hard time believing Brian's reading tweets from a Pittsburgh beat writer. Although, he did sue someone named "slobberface" for badmouthing him on a Leafs message board, so maybe. Still, he's out in Calgary and Calgary's an aggressive, goal scoring club, so it doesn't fit.

If it was Patrick, I fully believe that happened. They need to get that dope out of the NHL offices ("as you see here, such and such makes a right cross-over when the puck hits off the boards, which indicates"...Jesus, just shut the f up. You don't know what that indicates). I liked him better when he was founding charities and getting fired by them within a year.

It was probably Patrick...and yeah he's a ********.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad