Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Who said they shouldn’t be?

Everyone is accountable for their words, but keep trying to dodge that reality.

Her words and hateful rhetoric have cost her a tremendous career opportunity.

Freedom of speech comes with great responsibility, but far too many people want their freedom of words without the accountability that goes with it.

I'm the one trying to dodge it? :laugh:

Some of you must really not pay attention to some of the things celebrities say. Because if you really believe what you're saying, you're outrage should extend far beyond one person.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There are plenty of celebrities who say insane stuff and should not be platformed to the degree they are, but they aren't involved in The Mandalorian. Doesn't make sense to talk about them in a thread that has nothing to do with them.

Also the only people who seem "outraged" at the moment are those who feel she was unjustly fired.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I don't mind her comments but, I think Disney held out a remarkably long time (since Nov). Why she didn't learn to shut her mouth is beyond me. She was getting paid and about to REALLY get paid. And she goes and destroys it

Reactions: Jussi
Sep 19, 2008
Why would anyone defend Carano

She said stupid shit and thus pays the consequence

No need to white knight here. I'm about as disdainful towards cancel culture as one can be but I don't see any issue here

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm the one trying to dodge it? :laugh:

Some of you must really not pay attention to some of the things celebrities say. Because if you really believe what you're saying, you're outrage should extend far beyond one person.

So it is your contention she is the only celebrity who has ever been held accountable for her words?

No other celebrity has ever, not once, been held accountable?

She is literally the first one who this has happened to?

Sound argument.

Sep 19, 2008
There are plenty of celebrities who say insane stuff and should not be platformed to the degree they are, but they aren't involved in The Mandalorian. Doesn't make sense to talk about them in a thread that has nothing to do with them.

Also the only people who seem "outraged" at the moment are those who feel she was unjustly fired.
Kevin Hart tweeted some stupid shit but people looked into his history like 8 years back and judged him off that. Same with James Gunn.

These tweets by Carano were very recent and that is the difference. In this case it is correct.

Looking through people's history to judge them on shit they said years ago is stupid. That's what they tried to do to Joe Rogan. He had Coco Diaz on his podcast a decade ago, made a joke, people got upset and tried to cancel him 10 years later. :laugh: Joe Rogan's still here...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Why would anyone defend Carano

She said stupid shit and thus pays the consequence

No need to white knight here. I'm about as disdainful towards cancel culture as one can be but I don't see any issue here

To me it's less about defending Carano and more about the blatant hypocrisy from Hollywood. However, going into more detail and pointing out all the examples would go way beyond the point of this thread (which is about the show) and it would likely get too political as well and result in deleted posts and/or thread bans.

As for the actual shows, I doubt this affects the Mandalorian much given that season 3 is likely to focus on Mandalore. The show likely to be most effected by this is Rangers of the New Republic. We'll see if they recast the character or create a completely new character to be the show's lead.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Show-wise this welcome news. She's just not the most compelling actress. Kinda stiff. And I say this as someone who absolutely loves the movie Haywire.

Sep 19, 2008
I thought she was okay in S1 and I didn't see her in S2. It's not a big loss really. She was just a minor character. Typical "edgy tough woman"

I should probably start watching S2 again to see Ahsooka and Sasha Banks :laugh:

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018

Uhh the star of the show did, and says very "edgy" stuff all the time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211_120319_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211_120319_com.android.chrome.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't mind her comments but, I think Disney held out a remarkably long time (since Nov). Why she didn't learn to shut her mouth is beyond me. She was getting paid and about to REALLY get paid. And she goes and destroys it
Yeah, I'm sure Disney/Lucas told her at a certain point that something was going to happen, and she kept going with it.

Reactions: Richard

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If we're to hold this same standard to everyone, there's a lot of other celebrities who should be outed.

James Gunn was outed a few years ago for making rape, child abuse and pedophilia jokes and was also fired by Disney. That seems more abhorrent than Carano's historical comparison, but I remember that most of this board (and probably some of the same posters here) actually defended him, criticized Disney and then acted like justice was served when they rehired him. I think that a lot of people employ a double standard without even realizing it.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
James Gunn was outed a few years ago for making rape, child abuse and pedophilia jokes and was also fired by Disney. That seems more abhorrent than Carano's historical comparison, but I remember that most of this board (and probably some of the same posters here) actually defended him, criticized Disney and then acted like justice was served when they rehired him. I think that a lot of people employ a double standard without even realizing it.

You're neglecting the time and remorse factors here. He was being questioned now about things he said 10 years ago ... and he was apologetic/remorseful for it.

Carano is being questioned now for things she's saying now and things she's not remorseful for.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Uhh the star of the show did, and says very "edgy" stuff all the time. Lucky for him his politcal affiliations are with the left so he can say whatever he wants.

he just posted actual pictures with the years they were taken. literally couldn't be more the truth.

she posted rants about inaccurate anti-semitic, anti-science, fear mongering garbage speak. are you trying to say that's right political speak? it's not? it's trash.

if you can't tell the difference between these two statements, you may just be a part of the problem.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

making jokes in bad taste is different than actually believing the shit this lady was spouting.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
he just posted actual pictures with the years they were taken. literally couldn't be more the truth.

she posted rants about inaccurate anti-semitic, anti-science, fear mongering garbage speak. are you trying to say that's right political speak? it's not? it's trash.

if you can't tell the difference between these two statements, you may just be a part of the problem.
Oh come on. You can have plenty of criticisms for stuff on the border, but that's a clear comparison to Nazi concentration camps, and that's just absurd. This is just an odd description of that post.

The picture wasn't even what he was claiming it to be.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

He was actually hired by WB first.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Uhh the star of the show did, and says very "edgy" stuff all the time.
If you took more than two seconds to think about it you would understand they are not the same comparison. Not to mention Pedro Pascal does not have a history of reactionary takes that have landed him in hot water, PLUS he wasn't even employed by Lucasfilm at the time of that tweet.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Uhh the star of the show did, and says very "edgy" stuff all the time. Lucky for him his politcal affiliations are with the left so he can say whatever he wants.
Nah, f*** that. I could care less about her Nazi statements. People say dumb sh*t all the time. I have a problem with her using her platform to shame people for wearing masks to protect themselves and their communities, and influencing other idiots to think accordingly and risk the health of those around them. Good riddance, I say.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Hold up, are there people defending this person's comparison of a genocided population to members of an American political party?

Good lord. At some point people need to realize that not all opinions are valid, there is objective truth. If you think that you can validly compare a member of a political party to someone whose home and culture was razed, whose community was destroyed, whose family was tortured and murdered then you're just wrong, There is no argument, if you buy into that comparison you need to go start reading some shit and reassess yourself. Just because you can make the comparison doesn't make it valid.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Good Canadian kid John Campea putting it in words everyone can understand:

It's crazy to me how many people don't understand how the first amendment works. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised given how many kids I grew up with who would invoke freedom of speech after saying shitty things. Somehow restriction on government regulation of speech turned into "I live in the USA so I can say whatever the f*** I want without consequences"

The Electrician

Sponsor
Oct 24, 2014
Missouri
It's crazy to me how many people don't understand how the first amendment works. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised given how many kids I grew up with who would invoke freedom of speech after saying shitty things. Somehow restriction on government regulation of speech turned into "I live in the USA so I can say whatever the f*** I want without consequences"

It's crazy to me that people give a flying f*** what celebrities say on social media. But, here we are.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad