Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
No idea what the Empire looks like as there are a lot of signs Filoni and Favreau have or are moving slightly away from the Disney trilogy. Take for example the New Republic sigils.

In the Disney canon the sigil looks like this:

However, the sigil for the New Republic that is being used is this one:

And it's being used in the Mandalorian.

maxresdefault.jpg

If you didn't know, this is the NR sigil from the EU.

IMO this is not a fluke or mistake, Filoni knows the entirety of the EU like the back of his hand.
That's what most interests me, as well. I'd rather learn about the post-Empire world without everything feeling like it's just building up to a new tie-in. It reminds me of one of the recent criticisms of Star Trek, that the universe feels small when there's a familiar face around every corner.

I agree. They seemed like video game characters, particularly the girl with the slim, sexy figure who was the opposite of what I liked about the casting of Cara Dune.

In spite of that, it was an enjoyable episode. I liked the slower previous episode, too, but it was nice to have a faster one follow it. I recall that Season 1 was good about alternating like that, as well.
I think all of us as SW fans have always wondered what happened after ROTJ. I know there's the EU, but that's not the same as seeing it on the screen, and according to Lucas the EU was "soft" cannon anyways; legends and myths.

With the new sequel trilogy I wanted to see a continuation of the Star Wars story. Instead what we got was a reset; the First Order a stand in for the Empire, and The Resistance a stand in for the Rebel Alliance. It wasn't a believable chronological continuation of the Star Wars saga.

And that's one of the reasons I like The Mandalorian. It is a believable continuation of Star Wars. It makes sense that remnants of the Empire would still exist and there would be a wild west lawlessness through out the galaxy while The New Republic struggles for legitimacy.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's kind of weird, I think we all pretty much assumed Bo Katan and Ahsoka were going to be in this season and yet I still fanboyed out when Bo showed up and when she mentioned Ahsoka.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
LOL These people will put out anything to make a dollar.

Are you talking about Funko or Disney? ;) Someone obviously shared the episode details many, many months ago for there to have been enough time to design that product. Disney seemingly learned its lesson from Season 1, when it kept the child a secret and then had to scramble to get products on the market to satisfy demand.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Reactions: TheAngryHank

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Titus Welliver (Bosch).
Thanks. I didn't think of him. I guess there is a fine line between a minor-role and a cameo and I considered that to be the former. Especially since Titus Welliver is mostly a Mr. Minor-role type of actor.

That said, I've always enjoyed him when he pops up in things but thought that was a particularly bad performance by him. Maybe it was just odd hearing an Imperial officer speak with an American accent though. If his Northern Irish accent from his time on Sons of Anarchy is any idication of his accent prowess it was probably best he stuck to his natural voice.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Thanks. I didn't think of him. I guess there is a fine line between a minor-role and a cameo and I considered that to be the former. Especially since Titus Welliver is mostly a Mr. Minor-role type of actor.

That said, I've always enjoyed him when he pops up in things but thought that was a particularly bad performance by him. Maybe it was just odd hearing an Imperial officer speak with an American accent though. If his Northern Irish accent from his time on Sons of Anarchy is any idication of his accent prowess it was probably best he stuck to his natural voice.

I think almost all of the minor role and cameo performances have ranged from mediocre to bad. Herzog and Nolte were great, but the other actors don't seem to have a handle on the material and have come off as stilted. To be fair to those actors though, the dialogue is pretty strange and unique to this world.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think almost all of the minor role and cameo performances have ranged from mediocre to bad. Herzog and Nolte were great, but the other actors don't seem to have a handle on the material and have come off as stilted. To be fair to those actors though, the dialogue is pretty strange and unique to this world.

The director/showrunner cameos have been especially bad, IMO. Granted, they're not actors and it's tempting to compliment them with that in mind, but I also find it rather apparent and distracting. It was kind of cool the first time, but Filoni returning a couple of episodes ago and having a slightly expanded role worries me a little that this is going to be an ongoing thing. I'm actually kind of surprised that Bryce Dallas Howard hasn't gotten in there yet, since she's actually an actress... or maybe that's why she's in no rush to have her turn.

Last edited:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The director cameos have been especially bad, IMO. Granted, they're not actors and it's tempting to compliment them with that in mind, but I also find it rather apparent and distracting. It was kind of cool the first time, but Filoni returning a couple of episodes ago and having an expanded number of lines worries me a little. I'm actually kind of surprised that Bryce Dallas Howard hasn't gotten in there yet, since she's actually an actress... or maybe that's why she's in no rush to have her turn.

Is he the fat X-wing pilot? If so, I agree and don’t know what the hell was going on in that last scene he was in.

I’m a sucker for Herzog though, so I enjoyed his performance. That face, voice, and screen presence of his was enough for me, plus those first few eps were my favorites thus far.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Is he the fat X-wing pilot? If so, I agree and don’t know what the hell was going on in that last scene he was in.

I’m a sucker for Herzog though, so I enjoyed his performance. That face, voice, and screen presence of his was enough for me, plus those first few eps were my favorites thus far.

Fat X-wing pilot was (Paul Sun-Hyung Lee) Mr. Kim! Canadian actor from the CBC sitcom Kim's Convenience, about a Korean-immigrant run convenience store in Toronto that apparently Filoni is a big fan of.

Mr. Lee is also a huge Star Wars nerd:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The director cameos have been especially bad, IMO. Granted, they're not actors and it's tempting to compliment them with that in mind, but I also find it rather apparent and distracting. It was kind of cool the first time, but Filoni returning a couple of episodes ago and having an expanded number of lines worries me a little. I'm actually kind of surprised that Bryce Dallas Howard hasn't gotten in there yet, since she's actually an actress... or maybe that's why she's in no rush to have her turn.

Fat X-wing pilot was (Paul Sun-Hyung Lee) Mr. Kim! Canadian actor from the CBC sitcom Kim's Convenience, about a Korean-immigrant run convenience store in Toronto that apparently Filoni is a big fan of.

Mr. Lee is also a huge Star Wars nerd:

Lee, the fat X-wing pilot, is a major star here in Canada. He plays the lead role in CBC's Kim's convenience. The other pilot was Filoni, who is one of the show runners, the main show runner of the Clone Wars, and Lucas' hand picked protégé.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Lee, the fat X-wing pilot, is a major star here in Canada. He plays the lead role in CBC's Kim's convenience. The other pilot was Filoni, who is one of the show runners, the main show runner of the Clone Wars, and Lucas' hand picked protégé.

Yes, I said "director cameos," but I meant the people making the show, Filoni included. I've edited it to be more accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You know a show is great when the internet only finds trivial things like "show runner cameos" to complain about ;)

This is true. When it comes to Star Trek: Discovery, I don't bother looking for trivial things to complain about because I already have my hands full ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad