OT: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
5/10 is a really bad score based on the iMDB scale. Movies rated 5/10 on there are some of the worst ever. But you have your own rating system I am assuming lol.

I personally gave it an 8 on iMDB (but I think its more worthy of a 7.5/10 but you can't do half stars on iMDB).

That rating may change after a 2nd viewing though.

I thought it was better than Episodes I, II, and III and about equal to Episodes VI and VII, but behind Episodes IV, V, and Rogue One.
oh yeah I wasn't rating on the IMBD scale as I typically find it useless. ive seen multiple terrible movies rated in the 6 and 7s on IMBD. My scale is from 1 to 10 with 1 being terrible, I demand my money back and 10 being practically flawless, I could literally get back in line after the movie to watch it again. So a 5 on my scale is the epitome of average which is how I felt the movie was to me. I wasn't like "what the f*** was that like" as I was after attack of the clones but I also wasn't like wow ignoring the star wars brand, this is legitimately a great movie. Basically I felt that I got what I paid for, no more and no less. It has some flaws and issues but they didn't completely ruin the entire film. I was entertained for 2 hours but I wouldn't see it again in theatre unless a friend wanted to see it.

Reactions: Rebels57

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Knights of Ren were ignored in VIII. The mystery of Rey's parents was brushed off in one line with Ren saying they were nobody. VII had R2 with a map to find Luke when he was needed, he was needed in VIII and Luke said he was done and waiting to die in VIII. All inconsistent with story progression.

1. Was anyone really dying to know about the Knights of Ren? Were they central to the plot? Were they even a minutely important to the plot? The answer to all is a noooooo. It's a throw-away band, at best.
  2. The Rey parentage isn't settled yet -- all a part of the long term story. Just wait. Even if it is that her parents are just junkers...that's...GOOD. Makes it so that anyone can be special, just not the blessed Skywalkers in this universe. Like MJA said, this just could be a good red herring. Just because fans make theories on the internet for two years about it doesn't mean they deserve some massive payoff. No one ever said her parents were important in the film -- we just infer it.
  3. Luke not wanting to help after all that map trouble was incongruent, sure, but not inconsistent (you could argue). I would argue, however, that it played out as expected: Luke wouldn't have helped if they didn't find that map that lead them to Luke.

Last edited:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Just here to say that Star Trek is the better franchise.

Anyone see USS Callister? Nice take on TOS and basement dwellers in sci-fi fandom (See this thread for examples of the latter). The twist is far fetched, but overall the episode is really enjoyable.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Just here to say that Star Trek is the better franchise.

Anyone see USS Callister? Nice take on TOS and basement dwellers in sci-fi fandom (See this thread for examples of the latter). The twist is far fetched, but overall the episode is really enjoyable.

4BfTiHR.gif

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
  1. Was anyone really dying to know about the Knights of Ren? Were they central to the plot? Were they even a minutely important to the plot? The answer to all is a noooooo. It's a throw-away band, at best.
  2. The Rey parentage isn't settled yet -- all a part of the long term story. Just wait. Even if it is that her parents are just junkers...that's...GOOD. Makes it so that anyone can be special, just not the blessed Skywalkers in this universe. Like MJA said, this just could be a good red herring. Just because fans make theories on the internet for two years about it doesn't mean they deserve some massive payoff. No one ever said her parents were important in the film -- we just infer it.
  3. Luke not wanting to help after all that map trouble was incongruent, sure, but not inconsistent (you could argue). I would argue, however, that it played out as expected: Luke wouldn't have helped if they didn't find that map that lead them to Luke.

Point is there is zero time between the two movies. It may have felt like a long time to you, but in the ten years people will be watching both movies back to back as one single continuation and be shaking their heads. Timing wise it should have been written as one or they should have left time between the two (movie time, not real time).

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Point is there is zero time between the two movies. It may have felt like a long time to you, but in the ten years people will be watching both movies back to back as one single continuation and be shaking their heads. Timing wise it should have been written as one or they should have left time between the two (movie time, not real time).

Wait so there's a timeline issue now? What?

Where's the issue?

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
We just saw it this weekend and LOVED IT!
Incredibly done, from start to finish.

Do not understand all the negativity around it and naysayers. It was fun, it was emotional, effects and action were typical SW great.

Zero complaints from us, in fact Last Jedi ranks as one of the best for us!

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

Where's the issue?
I think the bigger issue is tone. Ideally, you want a trilogy to feel like one big movie. But TFA and TLJ are so fundamentally different in tone and direction. Different type of humor, different type of storytelling, different type of character development,... Just doesn't feel like two movies you'd want to binge watch.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think the bigger issue is tone. Ideally, you want a trilogy to feel like one big movie. But TFA and TLJ are so fundamentally different in tone and direction. Different type of humor, different type of storytelling, different type of character development,... Just doesn't feel like two movies you'd want to binge watch.

I disagree, but it is what it is.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009

Where's the issue?

How old are you anyway?

Death star 2.0 is destroyed and Rey goes to find Luke. The two movies are continuous, therefore you cannot simply disregard parts of the first in the second. Pretty obvious.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As long as the Knights of Ren make a return in Episode IX I don't think their ommision is from Episode VIII is a big deal. Dropping them altogether though would be both sloppy and stupid.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
How old are you anyway?

Death star 2.0 is destroyed and Rey goes to find Luke. The two movies are continuous, therefore you cannot simply disregard parts of the first in the second. Pretty obvious.

Old enough to recognize BS when I see it.

What happened in the second film that's going to ruin it for people when they watch it back to back with the first?

You're saying "disregard" as if Rian Johnson is pretending it never happened -- all of what you said were addressed in the 2nd film in one form or another. What the hell are you talking about?

I addressed all 3 of your original points as to why those storylines either don't matter anyway, or were addressed (just not how many expected/hoped)...you just said gibberish about the time issue without acknowledging what I said.

I'm trying to understand what your point is. Please further clarify other than saying "future watchers won't get it"...say what they won't understand and defend it, please.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Old enough to recognize BS when I see it.

What happened in the second film that's going to ruin it for people when they watch it back to back with the first?

You're saying "disregard" as if Rian Johnson is pretending it never happened -- all of what you said were addressed in the 2nd film in one form or another. What the hell are you talking about?

I addressed all 3 of your original points as to why those storylines either don't matter anyway, or were addressed (just not how many expected/hoped)...you just said gibberish about the time issue without acknowledging what I said.

I'm trying to understand what your point is. Please further clarify other than saying "future watchers won't get it"...say what they won't understand and defend it, please.

Read this. I am not going to argue with an adolescent.

'Star Wars': The 1 Big Inconsistency Between 'The Force Awakens' and 'The Last Jedi'

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
This movie was awful. The more I think about it the worse it is. So many inconsistencies (TFA they're winning... minutes later (canonically) they're losing and have just been annihilated by the guys they just beat), WTF moments (why don't people get sucked out of airlocks? why didn't the bomber fleet zoom in + drop their payloads like when the Falcon dropped off Rey? Why hasn't this Star Wars movie entertained me enough to overlook these basic things?) and things that just brought me out of the movie (Leia Poppins, Canto Bight).

Then there's the Luke fiasco, which I won't even get into.

What a travesty.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
trekkies are the biggest nerds in the universe

You have never met a Gater have you?

They had Stargate convention in 2016 up in Rosemont , IL and I was tempted to go and see how it was but then thought better of it (Credit to the organizers they seem to get a bunch of cast to these things which isn't what you can say for Star Trek and other fan conventions)

I enjoyed SG-1 , original film and to an extent Atlantis but those people are downright weird people and I am not obsessed with series

Conan O'Brien used to make fun of Gaters if I recall because of how strange they were

Last edited:
Reactions: The Rage Kage

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Thanks for the article! It's helped me a lot by:

1) Explaining problems with the film you're incapable of explaining
2) Understanding that probably all of your gripes mean something ONLY if the films were stopped being made right now and there wasn't a 3rd film

Seriously -- I almost all of the problems mentioned here can be solved if Kylo lied to Rey about her parents. The visual continuity of Rey/Luke is so stupid to even bring up (we all know it isn't exactly the same,but who cares?) & Knights of Ren vision can be from literally anything, with its payoff in the 3rd film.

Just sit and wait.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Thanks for the article! It's helped me a lot by:

1) Explaining problems with the film you're incapable of explaining
2) Understanding that probably all of your gripes mean something ONLY if the films were stopped being made right now and there wasn't a 3rd film

Seriously -- I almost all of the problems mentioned here can be solved if Kylo lied to Rey about her parents. The visual continuity of Rey/Luke is so stupid to even bring up (we all know it isn't exactly the same,but who cares?) & Knights of Ren vision can be from literally anything, with its payoff in the 3rd film.

Just sit and wait.

Here is some more inconsistencies, although basic comprehension seems to be an issue with you.

Different shot of Luke and Rey from begenning?
Finn jacket is suddenly fixed in TLJ?
Finn can now fly despite needing a pilot in TFA?
Phasma's armor can deflect blasters, but Phasma surrendered to Finn and Han in TFA when they only had a blaster?
Maz barely met Finn in TFA and doesn't know Rose or Poe, so why is she answering their call in the middle of a battle?
Finn was a janitor on Starkiller base and Snoke's ship?
What happened to Ren returning to Snoke after TFA for training as stated in the movie?

JJ leaves "mystery boxes" that Rian should at least deal with given the movies follow each in real time. It isn't a Red Herring when you don't plan ahead and simply ignore what a previous director has done. I read something saying Rian started writing the script even before seeing the final cut of TFA.

Again, I enjoyed the movie on some level. I really haven't cared that much since the prequels were so bad. Turn off your brain (as you have) and enjoy the "action" and it is fine.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Here is some more inconsistencies, although basic comprehension seems to be an issue with you.

Different shot of Luke and Rey from begenning?
Finn jacket is suddenly fixed in TLJ?
Finn can now fly despite needing a pilot in TFA?
Phasma's armor can deflect blasters, but Phasma surrendered to Finn and Han in TFA when they only had a blaster?
Maz barely met Finn in TFA and doesn't know Rose or Poe, so why is she answering their call in the middle of a battle?
Finn was a janitor on Starkiller base and Snoke's ship?
What happened to Ren returning to Snoke after TFA for training as stated in the movie?

JJ leaves "mystery boxes" that Rian should at least deal with given the movies follow each in real time. It isn't a Red Herring when you don't plan ahead and simply ignore what a previous director has done. I read something saying Rian started writing the script even before seeing the final cut of TFA.

Again, I enjoyed the movie on some level. I really haven't cared that much since the prequels were so bad. Turn off your brain (as you have) and enjoy the "action" and it is fine.

Bro, I can't anymore with you.

I ask you to point out something, it gets refuted, then you call me an idiot by using examples that you never talked about before (like your list you brought up here -- almost none of those were previously mentioned in this discussion). You've done this twice now.

I'm out.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The bombing sequence was very stupid. Why would you need to drop bombs in space? They can't shoot missiles in this tech? Would bombs even drop in space? Why did the woman open the bomb door and nothing happened to her?

It seemed very slapped together sequence to make something happen. Nothing unique or fun about it.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I've assumed the Knights of Ren were dead from the first time I watched TFA, killed by Ren. There can be only 2, master and apprentice.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
The bombing sequence was very stupid. Why would you need to drop bombs in space? They can't shoot missiles in this tech? Would bombs even drop in space? Why did the woman open the bomb door and nothing happened to her?

It seemed very slapped together sequence to make something happen. Nothing unique or fun about it.

There were lots of bombs? The bombs do more damage than the other weapons? This seems like a very minor quibble. Yes you can drop bombs in space because they're moving before they enter space.

The girl not getting sucked out is a little annoying because we know that would happen. However, there is no sound in space. So think about every sci fi movie ever, and then think about that and see if you feel that it would be better to follow real life to a tee or have movies with sound.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
There were lots of bombs? The bombs do more damage than the other weapons? This seems like a very minor quibble. Yes you can drop bombs in space because they're moving before they enter space.

The girl not getting sucked out is a little annoying because we know that would happen. However, there is no sound in space. So think about every sci fi movie ever, and then think about that and see if you feel that it would be better to follow real life to a tee or have movies with sound.

I'm not saying this scene ruined the movie or anything, but it was dumb.

In a world where they shoot lasers, they can't just have some sort of missile that can launch the bomb equivalents from a distance? It was manufactured drama that felt way forced.

That seemed incredibly low tech for what else we see going on out there. I questioned it immediately and things like that which take you out of the movie is lazy writing IMO. As for sound in a space battle, that's a lot less important than the actual mechanics of the plot taking place

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad