OT: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i am disappointed in a movie series where:

People talk telekinetically
People talk to ghosts
People move objects with their mind
People have kissed their sister
People have killed guys who then disappear
People have died from a broken heart
People don't die when thrown into space
Droids can interpret shih tzu looking warriors
Light speed exists long, long ago but not today
Sasquatch is real
Etc...

Or...I just watch it to be entertained and let the things that defy today's logic, go.

THIIIIISSSS.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
He doesn't regret voicing his doubts and insecurities. He regrets doing so in public, for obvious reasons.

And no one in that industry in their right mind is gonna shit on a Disney movie if they ever feel like working again...

I get that you guys all love the movie and have no issues with it. I didn't. You're all gonna have to accept that. Even you Brindy. :nod:

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I don’t think anyone is arguing it was perfect. It just gets grating hearing the same flimsy arguments over and over. You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion of disliking the film, but those of us who enjoyed it are absolutely entitled to counter points of derision you might have.

Reactions: Rebels57

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
I don’t think anyone is arguing it was perfect. It just gets grating hearing the same flimsy arguments over and over. You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion of disliking the film, but those of us who enjoyed it are absolutely entitled to counter points of derision you might have.

If people keep making the same arguments perhaps there's something to them. I'm sure it's equally as grating for those making the arguments to have them thrown away so flippantly.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Because they are flippant. The movie stands well enough on the merits of character development (among other things), particularly pertaining to rey and kylo, to be so rapidly dismissed as “ruining Star Wars” for perceived plot holes like light speed kamikazes (which regardless of any “plothole” was an amazing scene) in a universe where little green puppets wield lightsabers.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
i am disappointed in a movie series where:

People talk telekinetically
People talk to ghosts
People move objects with their mind
People have kissed their sister
People have killed guys who then disappear
People have died from a broken heart
People don't die when thrown into space
Droids can interpret shih tzu looking warriors
Light speed exists long, long ago but not today
Sasquatch is real
Etc...

Or...I just watch it to be entertained and let the things that defy today's logic, go.

Oh how about this:

Film isn't accurate -- how do they know English?!?!?!

Totally removed me from the film. Realistically it should've been in Wookie-speak.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
I love how you guys can't address any of my points so you just circle jerk each other. This board hasn't changed at all. All that's missing is an Appleyard breakdown of inconsistencies per Star Wars movie for you guys to fawn over.

Because they are flippant. The movie stands well enough on the merits of character development (among other things), particularly pertaining to rey and kylo, to be so rapidly dismissed as “ruining Star Wars” for perceived plot holes like light speed kamikazes (which regardless of any “plothole” was an amazing scene) in a universe where little green puppets wield lightsabers.

First off, stop with your weasel words like "perceived" plot holes. It's a plot hole. That's what it is.

Second, the character development was weak as f***. The only person who had any development this movie was Kylo. Rey's ascendancy to hero wasn't earned at all in the movie. She had zero character development. Her parents are nobodies and now she can magically lift rocks after going for a dip in a mirror pool. None of that carried an impact. The most difficult part of her journey was finding that island Luke was on. She's a natural at everything she puts her mind to. For f***'s sake she beat Luke in a duel... That's a not only a boring character, but also one that shit's on the legacy of those that came before.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I love how you guys can't address any of my points so you just circle jerk each other. This board hasn't changed at all. All that's missing is an Appleyard breakdown of inconsistencies per Star Wars movie for you guys to fawn over.

First off, stop with your weasel words like "perceived" plot holes. It's a plot hole. That's what it is.

Second, the character development was weak as ****. The only person who had any development this movie was Kylo. Rey's ascendancy to hero wasn't earned at all in the movie. She had zero character development. Her parents are nobodies and now she can magically lift rocks after going for a dip in a mirror pool. None of that carried an impact. The most difficult part of her journey was finding that island Luke was on. She's a natural at everything she puts her mind to. For ****'s sake she beat Luke in a duel... That's a not only a boring character, but also one that ****'s on the legacy of those that came before.

larry-david-yawn.gif

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I already addressed all your concerns in previous posts that you chose to ignore, if you remember your f=ma tangent. Everything in the movie that could be a plot hole is explainable, either easily or with some suspension of belief. Star Wars isn’t and never has been a hard sci-fi series.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
As far as rey beating Luke that’s not true, he was evading her easily until she pulled a lightsaber on him. You kinda have to back down there when all you have is a lightning rod.
And frankly her rise is very interesting. Snoke himself says it, “darkness rises and light to meet it. I thought it would be skywalker but it’s you.” She and kylo are literally manifestations of the force trying to balance itself (balance being one of the main themes of the movie, along w failure)

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Watching this thread without much input over the past few days and the problem becomes crystal clear. Many fans of the movie dont want to admit that it had some pretty apparent flaws, and many who didnt like it dont want to admit it had some pretty cool shit. Star Wars makes people way to passionate and pushes them to the extreme. It also apparently brings out some peoples inner child, a lot more name calling than I expected. Unstoppable force meets an immovable object and all that, you guys will never agree on this, it is pointless to repeat the same things over and over forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlasRust

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The Force Awakens and the Last Jedi weren't very good to me. Oddly enough my friend didn't like Rogue One but I thought that was the best Star Wars movie besides the original 3. I thought Rogue One was brilliant and really tied up a lot of story line plot holes. The Force Awakens was lazy writing at best, it was A New Hope redux. Something about the Last Jedi just seemed off and I struggled to get into it. Snoke dying so easily was disappointing and really just begs the question as to why he was even in it other than the Rule of Two.

The fall of Luke Skywalker is just meh.. and doesn't fit Luke's personality at all.

I'm just not sure why Hollywood loves to go over the top with their antics now and recycle so many of the same storylines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad