Online Series: Star Wars: The Bad Batch

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Before this show started I thought one season would be enough for me, but now I'm glad there's going to be at least another season.

Hondo has to show up at some point after all.:laugh:

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Young Hera! Chopper!

If they manage to get the chip out of Crosshair, he's going to have major baggage. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to be evil even after the chip removal.

RG0BS1U.gif

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Probably the weakest of Filoni's animated shows. Kinda strange, considering it avoids some of the things I dislike most about other Filoni shows (force mysticism, time travel, sentient space whales) and sticks to a lot of the elements that fit with the "Star Wars is best without the Jedi" mentality. But it just lacks the high points of his other shows, and the characters aren't nearly as likable. I guess a group of clones with specific modifications does in fact turn out to be a bunch of single dimensional characters. The villains, in particular, are stale compared to his other shows. There's no Thrawn or Maul or Ventress, just Imperial middle management.

Plus, it still jam packs itself with cameos and crossover story arcs.

I really did want a show about the transition from clone troopers to recruits, but they didn't really explain it all that well. Just that some dude underneath Tarkin didn't like clones.

It also really felt like it was riding the coattails of The Mandalorian, but made for kids (not that Mando is inappropriate for children to begin with). Even the end of season 1 is setting up for the cloning program in Mando.
The Mandalorian - A Mandalorian bounty hunter protects a defenseless child from criminals, bounty hunters, the Empire, and people who want to clone it
Bad Batch - Four mercenary clones of a Mandalorian protect a defenseless child from criminals, bounty hunters, the Empire, and the people who did clone it

Only that Omega was far less endearing than Grogu

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Probably the weakest of Filoni's animated shows. Kinda strange, considering it avoids some of the things I dislike most about other Filoni shows (force mysticism, time travel, sentient space whales) and sticks to a lot of the elements that fit with the "Star Wars is best without the Jedi" mentality. But it just lacks the high points of his other shows, and the characters aren't nearly as likable. I guess a group of clones with specific modifications does in fact turn out to be a bunch of single dimensional characters. The villains, in particular, are stale compared to his other shows. There's no Thrawn or Maul or Ventress, just Imperial middle management.

Plus, it still jam packs itself with cameos and crossover story arcs.

I really did want a show about the transition from clone troopers to recruits, but they didn't really explain it all that well. Just that some dude underneath Tarkin didn't like clones.

It also really felt like it was riding the coattails of The Mandalorian, but made for kids (not that Mando is inappropriate for children to begin with). Even the end of season 1 is setting up for the cloning program in Mando.
The Mandalorian - A Mandalorian bounty hunter protects a defenseless child from criminals, bounty hunters, the Empire, and people who want to clone it
Bad Batch - Four mercenary clones of a Mandalorian protect a defenseless child from criminals, bounty hunters, the Empire, and the people who did clone it

Only that Omega was far less endearing than Grogu

I think you are being way too hard on a series that just completed its first season.

It is clearly not as good as The Mandalorian and, as you noted, it probably does not have the same target audience.

Personally, I think they did a good job slowly building interest in the characters and presenting a simple and easy to follow story. It is better than what Clone Wars or Rebels were after their first seasons. Rebels picked up in season 2 and the end of that season was probably the best Star Wars stuff out there. Clone Wars was very meh at first. I think The Bad Batch is more solid than they were at first. Can they grow the show in season 2 and beyond, I guess we will see.

Reactions: Jussi

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think you are being way too hard on a series that just completed its first season.

It is clearly not as good as The Mandalorian and, as you noted, it probably does not have the same target audience.

Personally, I think they did a good job slowly building interest in the characters and presenting a simple and easy to follow story. It is better than what Clone Wars or Rebels were after their first seasons. Rebels picked up in season 2 and the end of that season was probably the best Star Wars stuff out there. Clone Wars was very meh at first. I think The Bad Batch is more solid than they were at first. Can they grow the show in season 2 and beyond, I guess we will see.

I'm definitely being hard on it, but when Filoni is held up as the gold standard in the Star Wars community and has two prior successful animated shows beforehand, the expectations were high.

Clone Wars did start slow, but it was also them figuring out animated Star Wars for the first time. It evolved from a purely kids show to something more as it progressed in the first few seasons. I think Rebels season 1 was very clearly above Bad Batch season 1. The Inquisitors were a much more compelling overarching villain set than anything we've seen in Bad Batch so far. I have my complaints about Ezra (he's perfect for the Rebels show, but I don't want him to show up in more Star Wars media despite the fact that it feels like its all but guaranteed he will), but Ezra is way more engaging than Omega. They didn't really give us any reason to care for Omega, unlike the other coming-of-age characters in the previous shows.

I hope it gets better in future seasons. But this one just kind felt bleh.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not sure Filoni is any more involved in The Bad Batch than he was in Resistance. I think in both cases he's handed off most of the actual showrunning to other people.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Could've swore it was done by Dave. Even Google'd it before I replied. He created it and worked on it. How are you defining "done by Filoni"?
I just remember seeing a bunch of articles like these around the time Resistance was starting.

'Star Wars Resistance' Animated Series Won't Have Dave Filoni Running the Ship

Although @MadDevil seems to be correct in that Filoni was also less involved in Bad Batch. Either way BB feels more like a spiritual (and direct) successor to Clone Wars/Rebels than Reisitance. Same animation style, same characters, same constant love of cameos lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad