Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI December 15, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With the R1 thread nearing 1000 thought it was time for the next Star Wars VIII

Rian Johnson Director(Brother Blooms and Looper)
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-8-plot/
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/st...ctor-trailer-and-everything-you-need-to-know/

Cast

Mark Hamill
Carrie Fisher
Adam Driver
Daisy Ridley
John Boyega
Oscar Isaac
Lupita Nyong'o
Domhnall Gleeson
Anthony Daniels
Gwendoline Christie
Andy Serkis
Benicio del Toro(He is the new big baddie??)
Laura Dern
Kelly Marie Tran

Obviously Fishers death will affect IX but they might need to tweek this one to ease into the next one

the geek verse is alive with rumours we will get a legit teaser during the superbowl

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The fact that it's not being directed by Abrams/Edwards gives me hope.

Honestly though, after the mediocrity of the previous two films, I'm pretty down on SW right now. Not exactly expecting much from episode 8.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Also the less Domhnall Gleeson, and Lupita Nyong'o, the better. They were both terrible in TFA.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Worried they're going to go straight formulaic with this one and copy Empire with a crazy parental/sibling-based plot twist.

Although if they go with some along the lines of this...

...that'd be pretty dope.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Rian Johnson seems great (he convinced Vince Gilligan to promote from filler Director to the Director of the most important episode in the series on Breaking Bad), and he wrote AND directed VIII, + since TFA covered next to no narrative ground he's basically starting afresh.

Cautiously optimistic. Glad that Abrams didn't sign on to direct all three.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm more worried about Trevorrow directing Episode IX than I am with Episode VIII.

I still give him the benefit of the doubt that the script he was handed and what he had to work with in that regard was the worst part of Jurassic World. If he gets a good script to work with I know he can at least deliver on the action.

He's not even close to the best choice but it can work.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Expecting this to be a fun but unremarkable movie that will be lauded in the first week then over time lose a lot of its luster.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Idk Rian Johnson tackled some heavier themes and elements in Looper and Breaking Bad than JJ Abrams did in TFA

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
That's pretty much every SW movie ever made, no?

depends I guess. Episode 7 after the initial theatre surge has gone on to have the 5th highest U.S. Blu-Ray sales in history and are only back 4000 units on Avengers for 4th and which also has a four year lead on VII.

I think while simple, they are highly popular and should more than likely have a much longer life than the initial "one week" theatre release. But that is just myself as a fan speaking :nod:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Leaked plot

[spoil]After the rebellion has been brutally overpowered by the first order on their newly established base, Rey takes advanced Jedi training with Luke, while her friends are pursued by Kylo Ren as part of his plan to capture Luke.[/spoil]

:)

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I can wait for a fight on a snow planet followed by Rey learning the ways of the Force from Luke and a confrontation between good and evil (possibly with an important plot-twist-revelation) on a floating city

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Leaked plot

[spoil]After the rebellion has been brutally overpowered by the first order on their newly established base, Rey takes advanced Jedi training with Luke, while her friends are pursued by Kylo Ren as part of his plan to capture Luke.[/spoil]

:)
This is... a joke? Right?

The fact that I can't be sure is concerning.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If you don't include the OT, sure.

I do include the OT for this precise reason. If you start nitpicking like people are doing with all the newer movies, the initial positive experience will be lessened. ESB maybe being the exception.

SW isn't masterpiece material. It is very good entertainment. The universe is so unique and fun that we don't mind the overplayed and cliched story. SW has always been super formulaic and full of tropes.

I love SW, I love TFA and I love R1. I do realize they aren't, for the most part, great cinema.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
All these "leaks" are fun. :popcorn: So far they haven't strayed from what they teased before TFA was released. I don't expect them to stray this go around either. They are sticking to the same motifs. That lightsabre is Excalibur and Luke will be Merlin. The real wild card is Kylo Ren. I assume he will continue his development as a villain which could mean we get a more competent Ren this time around to up the ante on his threat to Rey and the others. It's the only way he can be an effective bad guy at this point because he was beaten in TFA.

I do include the OT for this precise reason. If you start nitpicking like people are doing with all the newer movies, the initial positive experience will be lessened. ESB maybe being the exception.

SW isn't masterpiece material. It is very good entertainment. The universe is so unique and fun that we don't mind the overplayed and cliched story. SW has always been super formulaic and full of tropes.

I love SW, I love TFA and I love R1. I do realize they aren't, for the most part, great cinema.

Empire has been the only one to actually increase in popularity over the years.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I'm guessing Luke is going to be a reluctant teacher, then Rey gets frustrated and leaves, running into Benicio del Toro's character, who offers to train her. BUT IS HE GOOD OR EVIL????:laugh:
(I don't think I've ever seen a movie with that actor, so I have no idea if that makes sense or not)
Maybe it's best to leave speculation until the first trailer perhaps.:laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would just like to remind people that some of the first "leaked" plot from TFA had the movie opening with Luke's hand with his lightsaber floating in space and then somehow surviving reentry into an atmosphere to be found on the ground.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I would just like to remind people that some of the first "leaked" plot from TFA had the movie opening with Luke's hand with his lightsaber floating in space and then somehow surviving reentry into an atmosphere to be found on the ground.

There were also the "Luke is Kylo Ren!" theories even after it was confirmed Adam Driver was playing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad