Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
They took out the governing body of the New Republic and conveniently they didnt have an army to begin with which is why the Resistance formed and now the Resistance do not have anything whatsoever but hey, they got that fleet destroyer. now it cant destroy their fleets!

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They took out the governing body of the New Republic and conveniently they didnt have an army to begin with which is why the Resistance formed and now the Resistance do not have anything whatsoever but hey, they got that fleet destroyer. now it cant destroy their fleets!
The entire thing is just a contrived plot line just to make the good guys the underdogs again like in the OT...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The entire thing is just a contrived plot line just to make the good guys the underdogs again like in the OT...
Yeah I still defend TFA but I think this element of the new movies is annoying. I feel it's symptomatic of an industry wide belief that the underdog story is the only plausible means to create tension. Like how hard would it be to give Snoke a backstory of something along the lines of him

-being ultra wealthy
-learning the ways of the dark side after the fall of the Sith
-using his wealth to take and reform the Empire under a new name in an attempt to take control of the galaxy for himself?

And then just have the two sides start on even footing but get overwhelmed with a blitzkrieg of attacks throughout the galaxy? Starkiller being capable of erasing the New Republic in 3 minutes of screen time was cheap.

Then Rian doubled down and pushed the Resistance to the last thread of survival, leaving the 3 year gap between TLJ and episode 9 including a bunch of off screen recovery.

I really don't see what would've been wrong with having two sides of a war start off in equal power but the bad guys getting the upper hand being led by two new dark side baddies and the Jedi being M.I.A.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It seemed counter intuitive that the First Order reigned supreme right after they had their mothership/homebase thing completely destroyed.

I don't think they want the audience paying too much attention. Just enjoy a space movie. :nod:

It’s a kids movie about space wizards blah blah blah shut your brain off blah blah blah

Reactions: tacogeoff

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
upload_2019-3-27_8-35-54.png

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Trying not to be bitter about this whole upcoming year with Star Wars.

Knights of Ren seem to FINALLY be here, hopefully it’s cool

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm personally very excited to see how this trilogy ends. For me it has been flawed but satisfying thus far.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I stole this theory from Reddit becuase its interesting. Any Star Wars nerds here able to give credence to it? Does it make sense story wise? I barely remember the plot points anymore but it would be a fun explanation for why the movie seemed to divide opinion so much.

Yep, I've seen compelling arguments made about Crait not being the ending of the movie, but the beginning, and not just because it looks like Hoth.
According to the theory, without Crait, things would wrap up thus:
Holdo Hyperspace rams the FO fleet.
Yoda burning down the tree and talking to Luke, inspiring him into action once more. Presumably he leaves with the intention of finally doing something about the galaxy.
The Resistance get away by the skin of their teeth.
Rey is critically injured by Snoke's guards, but overall they managed to kill them all. Kylo therefore doesn't reveal his nature, but simply offers Rey his help. Rey being on the verge of death and convinced Kylo Ren has turned back to the Light, takes his hand.
The theory also states that Disney thought this story would make people flip out because Luke doesn't have any action scenes, so they re-purposed the 1st act on Crait for Luke to have a showdown against Kylo Ren.
Now I have no idea if this theory is true or not, but that ending would be one that leaves me eager to find out what happens next.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not sure I buy that. Luke standing up to Kylo Ren is kind of a pivotal moment for his character, and gave him a solid arc for the movie.

Does this person have any sources or is he just stating it as some kind of insider?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I'm not sure I buy that. Luke standing up to Kylo Ren is kind of a pivotal moment for his character, and gave him a solid arc for the movie.

Does this person have any sources or is he just stating it as some kind of insider?

Its just a random poster talking out their ass so far as I know. Read it on a r/MarvelStudios post that was almost the exact same poll we did here recently, only they added Star Wars Ep 9 to the discussion of which would you rather see, End Game or GoT final season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I stole this theory from Reddit becuase its interesting. Any Star Wars nerds here able to give credence to it? Does it make sense story wise? I barely remember the plot points anymore but it would be a fun explanation for why the movie seemed to divide opinion so much.

Yep, I've seen compelling arguments made about Crait not being the ending of the movie, but the beginning, and not just because it looks like Hoth.
According to the theory, without Crait, things would wrap up thus:
Holdo Hyperspace rams the FO fleet.
Yoda burning down the tree and talking to Luke, inspiring him into action once more. Presumably he leaves with the intention of finally doing something about the galaxy.
The Resistance get away by the skin of their teeth.
Rey is critically injured by Snoke's guards, but overall they managed to kill them all. Kylo therefore doesn't reveal his nature, but simply offers Rey his help. Rey being on the verge of death and convinced Kylo Ren has turned back to the Light, takes his hand.
The theory also states that Disney thought this story would make people flip out because Luke doesn't have any action scenes, so they re-purposed the 1st act on Crait for Luke to have a showdown against Kylo Ren.
Now I have no idea if this theory is true or not, but that ending would be one that leaves me eager to find out what happens next.

This is absolutely stupid.

Crait is a perfect ending to the arcs: Poe learns to retreat, Finn "learns" to "let go" and Luke pulls off the ultimate defensive maneuvre. Rey gets her moment a bit before, alongside Kylo, in the throne room.

The movie was divisive because it was a bit too high-browed for it's own good. Considering the IQ of the average person and that the movie takes all kinds of liberties within an established mythos, it isn't surprising why it is divisise. Lots of fat that could be trimmed to make the movie better but the movie absolutely nails the themes and does something interesting, as opposed to TFA which was "canned safeness"

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's sad that a first glimpse at a Star Wars movie poster produces no excitement in me and even causes me to roll my eyes (C3PO packing heat, that Jar Jar-looking alien, Rey wearing white, etc.). It feels like Revenge of the Sith over again. If I see it in the theater, it'll be to stay in the loop and be able to read about and discuss it online without waiting 4 months. After all, I've enjoyed doing that for The Last Jedi a lot more than I did watching it.

The movie was divisive because it was a bit too high-browed for it's own good.

There isn't anything "high-browed" about The Last Jedi or the trilogy as a whole. It's about as black and white as it could be... literally. Just look at the poster above, in which good "guy" Rey is wearing all white and bad guy Kylo is wearing all black. Also, all of its themes (like "anyone can be a Jedi," "animal slavery is wrong," "love isn't sacrifice" and so on) are made completely obvious, through either exposition or demonstration, just so that no one in the audience could possibly miss them. That's not high brow, but, if anything, the opposite.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm still surprised by how quiet it's been on the Episode 9 front. No teasers. No title. It's still scheduled to come out in December, so what gives?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They're probably trying to let the pain of TLJ and the Solo box office flop dissipate and let last chapter hype develop organically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad